Mehman

New GURPS Campaign Help

Hello fellow gamers! If this isn't in the correct place, please tell me/move it where it should go.

Over the past few years, I've gotten an itch to make my own campaign. To that end, I've gotten a lot of resources together (GURPS-related and not related) to help me with this task. Here's the deal: I want this to go as smoothly as possible, so I'm looking for something along the lines of a campaign builder - something to help me lay the groundwork and whatnot. I don't know if the interwebs has anything like this or not, so I come to you all for aid.

As for programs I have that could assist me in making this an easier project, I have to say Scrivener for Mac is stellar. It's used extensively when I'm writing on my books.

Thanks for any help you can offer ^_^!

• Like 1

I have been scouting for interesting / useful random generator apps. 

What function(s) ford does the campaign builder need?

Edited by TGP
chellspecker is unhelpful
  • Like 2

Do NOT let them go hogwild on Disadvantages. Set a limit for extra points, and stick to it. Knew a guy once who, every single time, wanted to take Enemy at maximum points, and every single time, the campaign was hijacked by Big Bad and his Techno-Ninja Army who wanted to kill that one PC...

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

I always leave something out.

20 hours ago, TGP said:

I have been scouting for interesting / useful random generator apps. 

What function(s) ford does the campaign builder need?

Ideally, a place to start. The only things I have right now about the campaign are it's set in a desert/bad lands (lots of rocky climbing stuff), the party is composed of holy people (clerics, priests, and paladins - the priests being the really squishy ones), and the main opposition to the party is a force of missionaries/priests/prophets of a monotheistic "evil god" with soldiers under their control. The party will also run into Chthonic beings, undead, and, if it goes this far, the primordial force of everything. For a start, though, they'll just be dealing with the bad guys ^_^!

18 hours ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

Do NOT let them go hogwild on Disadvantages. Set a limit for extra points, and stick to it. Knew a guy once who, every single time, wanted to take Enemy at maximum points, and every single time, the campaign was hijacked by Big Bad and his Techno-Ninja Army who wanted to kill that one PC...

I've got Advantages/Disadvantages set firmly. Also, it's a solo campaign, so I doubt I'll have a "that guy" in the group, but you never know...

• Like 1

On 5/29/2019 at 8:35 PM, Dr.Bedlam said:

Ours was gigantism for some reason......

• Like 2

On 5/29/2019 at 6:45 PM, Mehman said:

Hello fellow gamers! If this isn't in the correct place, please tell me/move it where it should go.

Over the past few years, I've gotten an itch to make my own campaign. To that end, I've gotten a lot of resources together (GURPS-related and not related) to help me with this task. Here's the deal: I want this to go as smoothly as possible, so I'm looking for something along the lines of a campaign builder - something to help me lay the groundwork and whatnot. I don't know if the interwebs has anything like this or not, so I come to you all for aid.

As for programs I have that could assist me in making this an easier project, I have to say Scrivener for Mac is stellar. It's used extensively when I'm writing on my books.

Thanks for any help you can offer ^_^!

I can't help you much with a campaign builder.

That said, I am a font (or fount, both are used :poke:) of questionable advice:

• Don't overplan. The player(s) will do something that will make some or all of your planning useless or inconvenient. Do only enough planning to handle the first few adventures, then do more as time goes on.
  • Do have lists of names -- names of NPCs, names of bars/taverns, names of inns/hotels, names of towns, names of countries, names of stores, .... I find it pretty easy to wing building descriptions, but names with the right feel can be really difficult to come up with on the fly.
  • Similarly, have lists of characteristics for the above -- tall and missing his left arm, loud and profane of speech, dressed all in green with striking hazel eyes. Or dingy with a surly bartender, sawdust-covered floor and scarred tables. Or whatever. With a name and a couple of noticeable features, any person or place can be memorable, even if the PCs turn left instead of right like any sensible person would.
  • Do plan the goals and plans of the major NPCs. If the PCs don't do anything about it, what will happen? This needn't be in detail, but I find this gives me the ability to react to the PCs actions much better than detailed encounter descriptions.
  • On a similar note, I find having scalable encounters very useful. There are two people in the room. If a fight starts, after N rounds three more will show up. (Unless things are going badly for the PCs or the encounter was a walkover when it shouldn't have been, in which case reduce or increase as necessary.)

So, with that, I might well start with a few lists and knowledge that the adventure will start in the town of Brinehaven with enforcers coming into the bar looking for protection money for Skinny Jimmy.

On 5/29/2019 at 8:35 PM, Dr.Bedlam said:

I've come to the opinion that Seventh Sea had it right. Disadvantages give the PCs control over the campaign. They should pay for that, not get points for it.

In Hero, I now give people one free disad, the description of which doesn't include anything about frequency or power and then allow them to buy more by spending points if they find them important. Then, any time a disad trips, they get a bennie of some sort. They can also just use narrative disadvantages that don't cost points or give any benefits if they want them for purely roleplaying reasons. This removes the incentive to take as many points of disads as the GM will allow and incents the players to take disads that they would like to see in play and that will actually be used by the GM (me).

I find that the incentive structure works much better this way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello, forgive the thread Necro, although this thread is not long dead. I have recently begun the the dive into GURPS. What books do you have? 

I have found a nice world map generator as well as a ok city map generator. I will post the links, if you require them. I do not know of a campaign generator.

• Like 2

On 6/19/2019 at 9:21 AM, Colonel Kane said:

Hello, forgive the thread Necro, although this thread is not long dead. I have recently begun the the dive into GURPS. What books do you have? 

I have found a nice world map generator as well as a ok city map generator. I will post the links, if you require them. I do not know of a campaign generator.

Sorry for the late response, @Colonel Kane. I have all the GURPS. Well, maybe not all, but I do own every GURPS Dungeon Fantasy title (not to be confused with Dungeon Fantasy powered by GURPS, the boxed game), Fantasy, all the Thaumatology titles, Magic titles... listen, I go deep with GURPS. If you need a review of any Fantasy title, I'm your cow (see profile pic).

I'm not looking for a campaign generator so much as I'm looking at how to start the campaign. What are the beginning steps I need to do to prepare a campaign? Do I Point Crawl or go straight into Hex Crawl? Should I have an adventure already ready to play? Stuff like that.

• Like 2

Lol, wow. I have yet to get that far into GURPS, bookwise. Have you read the Fantasy book? I know you said you have it and while it is not the MOST helpful book there is, it is helpful. 

I started my world based on another world. The Old Warhammer world, with some Witcher, Skyrim, Discworld, and other fantasy worlds thrown in. It is not complete, but it is a start. Harkwood, SJGames 3rd edition books is not a bad resource as well.........hang on let us try this from another pov.

What kind of fantasy world are you wanting to run? Is there a world from fantasy you want to emulate?

• Like 3

A point that was made on a podcast recently (Fear the Boot? Ken and Robin Talk About Stuff? somewhere, anyway) was that the risk of infant mortality in campaigns is high. So you might want to set up something short with a beginning, middle, and end, that showcases the kind of experience that you would like to have throughout. By having a complete story, you increase the likelihood that the players will have a satisfying and fun time (which increases the chances that they will want to continue). And if they don't, you will still have told at least a decent short story.

I haven't been doing that myself, but I think I'll start now.

• Like 5

22 hours ago, Colonel Kane said:

Lol, wow. I have yet to get that far into GURPS, bookwise. Have you read the Fantasy book? I know you said you have it and while it is not the MOST helpful book there is, it is helpful. 

I started my world based on another world. The Old Warhammer world, with some Witcher, Skyrim, Discworld, and other fantasy worlds thrown in. It is not complete, but it is a start. Harkwood, SJGames 3rd edition books is not a bad resource as well.........hang on let us try this from another pov.

What kind of fantasy world are you wanting to run? Is there a world from fantasy you want to emulate?

Yeah, when I got into GURPS, I took one look and decided my fate. (That sweet, delicious fate.) I've read GURPS Fantasy and re-read its campaign notes not too long ago. I've also stumbled across a duo of DMs that play D&D, Web DM, and have watched a bunch of their videos on campaigns and roleplaying in general. Just because it's D&D they're talking about doesn't mean 95% of it isn't great ground for GURPS.

Anyway, there's no real world I want to emulate. I've got this idea to set everything off in the desert with a very Crusades-esque feel. The PCs will be on the "European side" to start things off - in fact, they'll be a group of mainly holy people at a waypoint between two desert cities. There are a few different seeds that could be rolled for (remember: this is a solo game, so I'm trying to inject some variation) that I've already thought up. Wait a tic... I think I've already started the campaign :blink:. I've got a party (that has yet to be rolled for, but still), there's a starting point, there are different things to do... woo hoo! Problem solved!

22 hours ago, Doug Sundseth said:

A point that was made on a podcast recently (Fear the Boot? Ken and Robin Talk About Stuff? somewhere, anyway) was that the risk of infant mortality in campaigns is high. So you might want to set up something short with a beginning, middle, and end, that showcases the kind of experience that you would like to have throughout. By having a complete story, you increase the likelihood that the players will have a satisfying and fun time (which increases the chances that they will want to continue). And if they don't, you will still have told at least a decent short story.

I haven't been doing that myself, but I think I'll start now.

That's a good point, though I wonder what the use of midwife magic would look like on those statistics. That is to say you're running a magic-heavy campaign. For the gritty realism style, that's absolutely something to think about. Hmm. I like this.

• Like 2