Glitterwolf

Getting to Know You JUNE 2019, brought to you by WOOF.

•  

Welcome to Getting to Know You, June 2019 Edition.

The rules as they currently stand:

1. Every day, or so (unless I am out or ill or something) I will post a question.

1.5. Should I be unable to post a question for the day a crack team of deputy quisitors, former quisitors, and random forum members are all chomping at the bit to step in and post one... 

2. In theory there is a 24 hour span to answer that question before the next question is posted.
2.5. (Rule 2 is the most frequently ignored rule.)
3. Questions are going to be posted between 8:00 hours and 12:00 hours CET. ( Central European Time)
4. Everyone is encouraged to suggest future questions to be posted via PM to me... 
5. You do not have to answer every question to play...
6. If a question is TMI or N/A simply wait for the next question.. ..or post that you decline to answer (clues regarding why can be fun...unless TMI).
7. Weekend questions will usually take the form of two or three day quests, starting on Friday or Saturday.

First question will be posted first thing in the morning 1st June. ( my first thing in my morning!)

All HAIL WOOF!

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 5
  • Confused 1

This thread noticed, tolerated, sniffed, clawed and sprayed by M.E.O.W.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 15

Could use an ümlaut or two...

TGP, Agent of SPÜÜ

• Haha 9
  • Confused 1

36 minutes ago, TGP said:

Could use an ümlaut or two...

TGP, Agent of SPÜÜ

"Umlaut", contrary to expectations, hat keine Umlaute.

:B):

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

Question June 1st. Is painting miniatures your only hobby? If not what are your other hobbies and which hobby is nr. 1?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question June 1st. Is painting miniatures your only hobby?

It is not. 

If not what are your other hobbies and which hobby is nr. 1?

Woodworking, Wargames, Reading (if that is a hobby?), Photography,  Drawing, Chess, & Terrain Building are some others...

...must ponder which is Number One. 

Edited by TGP
Forgot snapping pix...
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question June 1st. Is painting miniatures your only hobby? If not what are your other hobbies and which hobby is nr. 1?

Nope, I also immerse myself in the Ps4, occasionally I attempt to write pulp horror fiction, and I also develop new conspiracy theories pretty much on reflex. I suppose gardening would also qualify, although it's not been as relaxing as it's made out to be thus far. As to which is #1, it rotates. Currently the garden has draining all of my energy so I suppose it might be considered such at the moment followed by the Ps4. I've slowly been working my way back towards the painting though, the new supplies having provided a bit of a morale boost, I just need to get the desk reorganized before hopefully picking up on my shamefully neglected WIP threads.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Not my only hobby. And depending on my mood the #1 position changes sometimes.

Other hobbies:

• Hiking in nature
  • Visiting historical sites and old towns
  • Walking/playing with my dog
  • Martial Arts. Practiced a lot, these days I tend to run more and do fitness.
  • Cooking
  • Listening to Rock and Metal
  • History especially Military History
  • Playing PC Games
  • Making up stories for my miniatures
  • Making terrain.
  • Visiting Zoos, learning about animals.

• Like 11

4 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

I really don't think of miniatures as a hobby; re, it is too great a part of my life for that. The painting is a major part of the craft. There is sculpting, terrain making, photography, et al.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

No.

I also build/paint scale models (kinda the same thing, I suppose).

I play RPGs, although it's been rather a long time since I've actually played anything.

I play wargames/skirmish games with the miniatures I paint.

There's more, but it starts to blur the line between hobby and relaxation activity.

They're all my favorite.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

As other people have mentioned, figure painting elides into model-making, wargaming and RPG's. I can't really separate these. Taken as a whole these would be my major hobby.

I also visit historical / military sites whenever possible.

I do a fair amount of nature watching, (especially birdlife), photography, reading, gardening, cooking...

Anything to avoid work, basically. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question part A June 1st. Is painting miniatures your only hobby? 

No

Question part B  June 1st. If not what are your other hobbies and which hobby is nr. 1?

Biking, Disc Golf, RPG, Board Games, Computers,  Reading, Collecting Books, bird watching, Civil War Lectures and wood working (and shows to support this). 

Question part C June 1st. Which hobby is #1?

An extinct hobby of Boomeranging is historically #1 but really Reading books is and always has been #1.

Edited by ttuckerman
Add civil war
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

My Primary hobby is collecting and shooting and reloading for guns, especially older ones. It also involves running the homepage and FB pages for American Zoot Shooting Association, we dress up and shoot in the guns and style of the United States Prohibition Era, the Roaring 20s.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

It is not. Other hobbies include:

• Playing "adventure games" (board games, wargames, miniatures games, CCGs, RPGs)
  • Playing computer games, mostly similar in some way to the above.
  • Photography, which is related to, ...
  • Travel

Hobbies that used to take up more of my life than they do now, for a variety of reasons:

• Skiing
  • SCA
  • LARP
  • SF Conventions

I wouldn't characterize reading as a hobby. It's just what civilized people do.

Gaming, both FtF and on computer takes up more of my time than Miniatures Painting, but of course there are links between painting and RPGs and miniatures games.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I used to have many hobbies, but painting is now chief among them. I also like to:

• read fiction, mostly fantasy, but I do enjoy historical fiction set before gunpowder weaponry became dominant.
  • avid watcher of Jeopardy, so I aimlessly wander about wikipedia to learn seemingly useless trivia.
  • learn new languages. Currently refreshing my German, but I also have this stack of Romanian books/cds sitting here purchased years ago.
  • write ideas for tv/film which I'll never follow through on, but given half of the things that actually get picked up... maybe I do have a shot?

Things I used to do but can't anymore for various reasons:

• amateur kickboxer (Southeast Asian style/Khmer style, from Cambodia)
  • rock climbing (grip strength won't handle it)
  • cycling (always wanted to do a triathlon)

I don't think any of those is really #1, they kind of alternate on a monthly basis.

14 minutes ago, Doug Sundseth said:

I wouldn't characterize reading as a hobby. It's just what civilized people do.

Clearly you haven't seen the American education system in action lately.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2