Glitterwolf

Getting to Know You JUNE 2019, brought to you by WOOF.

19 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question June 11th.

Would you like to paint miniatures for a living? Even if you don't get to choose what to paint?

Under no circumstance not involving actual malnutrition.

Making your hobby into your job means that you don't have a hobby any more.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4

36 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question June 11th.

Would you like to paint miniatures for a living? Even if you don't get to choose what to paint?

Ugh no. I did that before. Never again.

Painting minis to pay rent is the surest way to years-long burnout that I know of.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

37 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question June 11th.

I wouldn't because then it wouldn't be a hobby anymore.

I like to paint when I feel like it not having to, and I like to choose what I paint.

• Like 7

46 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question June 11th.

No, my focus right now is to get a job so that painting miniatures is a distraction from it.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question June 11th.

Eh, no. I'm not fast enough at it, for one thing. For another, if my hobby was my job I'd have to do paperwork for my hobby :wacko: :lol:

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question June 11th.

NO.

3 hours ago, Doug Sundseth said:

Making your hobby into your job means that you don't have a hobby any more.

...and this is why.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question June 11th.

Definitely not. I would think that having to do any hobby on a nine-to-five basis would soon kill off any pleasure involved. And not having any say in what I would paint would make me positively mutinous. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question June 11th.

I barely like painting miniatures as a hobby; don't push it. ::P:

• Like 2
  • Haha 9

5 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question June 11th.

Gosh no. My hobbies are what I do to unwind and enjoy myself. I can just imagine painting for a living would turn an otherwise relaxing activity into something stressful. Also, I'd probably starve!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Painting? No. I've done a few commissions, and while I'm happy to do one or two once in a while, I've no interest in trying to do it always.

I had no issue mixing hobby/living when I was managing a toy store. I played Magic while also running tournaments, and that was fine. I'd love to do that again.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question June 11th.

Yeaaaah, I'm going to go with "no way, because that's going to be a lot of boring and soulless Space Marines to paint".  It's not that I'm all "ugh, not ANOTHER Space Marine army" but it's more along the lines of what everyone else has said - a hobby is a fun and enjoyable escape, and I'd rather keep it that way. 

I'd definitely not do it if I had no choice in what to paint.  Sure, it could be argued I already sort of do this for hubby as I clean, assemble, and prime his minis (and sometimes get the basics of the base done) but that's by choice ^_^;;;

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Question June 11th.

Nope.

Like the others. Hobby is hobby. Work is work. I think about my hobbies at work. But I don't think about work during my hobbies.

Unless making weekly maintenance plans, ordering the right parts, juggling planned maintenance vs. urgent breakdowns becomes my hobby.

Just remembering everyone who ask questions about commissioning work, and never going quite the way they expected, is enough of a deterrent.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Question June 11th.

Only in times of desperation have I painted stuff for other Folk. Unfortunately I have gone through prolonged periods of desperation. The work didn't pay enough to be considered a living, & the miniatures chosen, with a couple of exceptions, were uninspiring pieces, but I did get a lot of experience & developed an outstanding work ethic/discipline.

Now I'd rather go hungry than paint things on commission. I do enjoy giving things away though.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

I would not like painting miniatures for a living. In general I don't like doing any kind of art for commission or sale. In my experience most people don't want to pay enough to make it viable, and there are few things more frustrating than sinking your time into something and to have someone basically tell you that  your time isn't worth much if anything. I've had I can't tell  you how many people say that I should sell my art, but then when I put a price on it they start waffling. I will paint things for friends or people I care about, but never on a cost basis and never to a hard deadline. I once painted a PC miniature for a good friend, and he and I argued so long about compensation and my refusal to take it that he finally just mailed me a really nice bottle of bourbon and some good coffee. 

I give away the majority of the minis I paint to people I like, with the exception of a few that I've painted that I consider especially poor paint jobs. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2