Glitterwolf

Getting to Know You JUNE 2019, brought to you by WOOF.

On 6/4/2019 at 1:13 AM, Glitterwolf said:

Question June 4th.

Do you keep the boxes for their artwork after you have painted the mini(s) that were in it?

No

On 6/5/2019 at 12:57 AM, Glitterwolf said:

Question June 5th.

Our hobby has many aspects ( painting/basing/converting/sculpting/gaming/making army lists/creating dungeon maps etc) what is your favorite part of the hobby?

Sculpting, by far,  Of the sculpting process my favorite parts are building anatomical structures, detailing natural structures, basking in the glow of a finished sculpt, and seeing what y'all do with them.

On 6/6/2019 at 1:29 AM, Glitterwolf said:

Question June 6th.

Today we remember D-Day Operation Overlord, do you paint or have you painted WW II miniatures/ terrain?

Pics?

Miniatures, no, but I have done an F4U Corsair model. No pics as it was pre-digital camera era.

On 6/7/2019 at 12:46 AM, Glitterwolf said:

Question June 7th.

Have you ever bought a lot of minis for a certain army/project and then abandoned it?

What did you do with those minis?

I have the entire Warlord Korbola's faction, in metal, many figures repeated several times.  I think it was enough to field a 10,000 point force.  I don't even want to think of how much I spent on it. I have 6 figures painted, 3, 3/4 painted, another one assembled and prepped, and the rest in blisters on my peg wall.  I don't so much consider them abandoned, just extremely delayed.

6 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question June 11th.

Would you like to paint miniatures for a living? Even if you don't get to choose what to paint?

No.  I paint too slowly and can't moderate my perfectionism enough to match a quality level/price.

I would someday like to transition to full time sculptor, likely as a retirement career, but that is years off yet.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Question June 11th.

Would you like to paint miniatures for a living? Even if you don't get to choose what to paint?

I sure would, provided I were better at painting.

I don't interpret the first questions as "would you be a commission painter". Nowadays, thanks to youtube/patreon/twitch/etc, if my skill was good enough I could make media and tutorials to show off how it was painted and teach the techniques. I'd rather be teaching how to paint (I'm surprisingly good at teaching), but this way I still get to choose what miniatures I paint to show off how to build those skills to others.

Now, the second part definitely means "would you be a commission painter" and my answer to that is no, because I'm not painting 10000 space marines.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Question June 11th.

I don't think so @TGP's idea of doing miniatures prep for cash might be relaxing for a while, but in general, I do not want to professionalize my hobby. It would add an element of time pressure and obligation that feels like it would kill some of the fun.

I do like the idea of being forced to practice and improve 40+ hours a week though. I'd improve a lot more if I had time and motivation to do that.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, klarg1 said:

It would add an element of time pressure and obligation that feels like it would kill some of the fun.

This, more than anything else is the worst part of accepting commissions.  It can really make the hobby a job.  Also the fact that you no longer have the time to pursue your own personal ideas.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

My daughter accepts commissions for drawings of characters because she can do them quickly and has time for them and they don’t drain away her joy in making things.

I think it would be difficult to convince people to pay an actual fair market rate for all the work that goes into painting something so small as  a miniature.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

I once came very close to a fistfight at a wedding because one of the guests asked me whether he could pay me to paint his Space Marines army.

I told him I'd be happy to do it, and quoted him $10 per trooper and $40 per character, with vehicles starting at $20 and going up from there.

He said several expletives and said no paint job was worth that...I told him my time was. That's when he called me an arrogant...well, let's say he became heated. In an expletive-laden rant, he demanded my price come down (for this hypothetical deal we were working out). I told him my price was my price. He started shouting and became physically belligerent... that was when his friends decided he didn't need to be at the wedding any more.

Drunks are funny. I felt bad about the disruption at the wedding reception, though.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 3

7 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question June 11th.

Nope!  I'm too scatterbrained and my muse jumps around too much for me to focus on something long enough to finish a commission.  Plus, I don't think I'm a good enough or fast enough painter to take money to paint things.  

I'm a little envious of folks who can do this, but when your hobby becomes your job, I'm not sure it still counts as a hobby and when I'm "playing with models", it's my mental escape which I would not want to ruin.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Question June 11th.

For a living?  No.

Would I paint miniatures for supplemental income while I was unemployed?  Maybe.  Let's hope I never figure out.

I spent over three hours painting a single pair of eyes last night (there were a few interruptions but not many).  I can't really see someone being happy paying $150 for a single pair of eyes, much less waiting for the rest of the mini to be done.  (I can't really see someone being happy paying more than $100 for a single mini.)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

50 minutes ago, Sanael said:

I once came very close to a fistfight at a wedding because one of the guests asked me whether he could pay me to paint his Space Marines army.

I told him I'd be happy to do it, and quoted him $10 per trooper and $40 per character, with vehicles starting at $20 and going up from there.

He said several expletives and said no paint job was worth that...I told him my time was. That's when he called me an arrogant...well, let's say he became heated. In an expletive-laden rant, he demanded my price come down (for this hypothetical deal we were working out). I told him my price was my price. He started shouting and became physically belligerent... that was when his friends decided he didn't need to be at the wedding any more.

Drunks are funny. I felt bad about the disruption at the wedding reception, though.

I've never understood this. Maybe why I've never been a good bargainer. If someone quotes you a price, and stands firm, then that's end of discussion. I've also had people do this to me. Back when I built lightsabers. I had a guy ask me the cost on one. I quoted him. He came back with a low ball price. I reiterated my quote. He got angry.  

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question June 11th.

No for many of the reasons others have mentioned. 

1 hour ago, Sanael said:

Even making minimum wage for your time makes it expensive per mini. It's just a fact. Your quote sounds reasonable. Even my fastest speed paints take a half hour or so, maybe longer when adding in prep and basing.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Pingo said:

My daughter accepts commissions for drawings of characters because she can do them quickly and has time for them and they don’t drain away her joy in making things.

I think it would be difficult to convince people to pay an actual fair market rate for all the work that goes into painting something so small as  a miniature.

"Fair market value" is any price a willing* buyer and willing seller can agree on. Living wage, now....

Let's just say that for some tasks, fair market value does not rise to living wage. And sometimes there is no price that a willing buyer and willing seller can agree on, because their valuations are not well matched.

* Where "willing" is short for "willing, informed, and unpressured".

56 minutes ago, Sanael said:

Doofus. Nobody has a right to buy at the price that they want to, or the right to receive the amount of money they would like to sell something for.

But everyone has the right to refuse to make a deal**: "I value my time at more than you're willing to pay. I guess we can't make a deal. But I'll give you $175 for that new Porsche of yours."

** Unless there's eminent domain involved. And that runs a bit close to Beekeepers territory for my comfort.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Loim said:

I've never understood this. Maybe why I've never been a good bargainer. If someone quotes you a price, and stands firm, then that's end of discussion. I've also had people do this to me. Back when I built lightsabers. I had a guy ask me the cost on one. I quoted him. He came back with a low ball price. I reiterated my quote. He got angry.  

Yep, I've had a few of those.  One guy wanted a bunch of sculpts.  I quoted him the price. 

He said,  "No way, you are out of your mind." 

I said, "That's my going rate and is set competitively with other sculptors."

He ranted back for a while that he knew of several other sculptors in Australia who would do it for half.

"OK," I said, " Why don't you hire them?"

"Because you're better than them."

After I finished laughing, the conversation only went down hill from there. IIRC, his KS failed miserably, so dodged that bullet.

• Like 4
  • Haha 10

16 minutes ago, Loim said:

One of the Guys I regularly painted for tried to get me to give him a discount with every order he would pick up. The last order I did for him got me a "can you better than that" on the price.

The reply was "sure" & I doubled the price.

That's not better" said he of the discount mind set.

"It is for me; AND that is what the price will be from now on." said I.

He moved to another state shortly after that & I never had to do business with him again.

• Like 9
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, TaleSpinner said:

This, more than anything else is the worst part of accepting commissions.  It can really make the hobby a job.  Also the fact that you no longer have the time to pursue your own personal ideas.

The upside of commission work is that sometimes your client comes up with a really cool concept that you never would have thought of yourself, but you get to be the one to bring it to life.  Working on one of those right now, and I'm so excited by it I'm about to burst.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 4

8 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question June 11th.

Would I? Yes. But it is not likely to happen, because I am unlikely to get an amount of money I would consider fair for a day's work, and because it would be unlikely to include health insurance.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1