Glitterwolf

Getting to Know You JUNE 2019, brought to you by WOOF.

8 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question 15th June.

Have you painted /built a flying machine/contraption/airplane for your Fantasy or Steampunk Army/adventures?

Or Military Airplane Kits?

( Inspired by the airshow at my base)

Pics?

Built many (many) 1/72 aircraft when I was a kid.

But painting? Why would I paint the airplane silver when it was already cast in silver plastic? ::P:

All those planes went away when we moved to Germany the second time (limited household goods allowance).

I've built a few planes since then, particularly some years ago when I was playing Mustangs & Messerchmitts fairly seriously. No pics at present, though.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question 15th June.

Have you painted /built a flying machine/contraption/airplane for your Fantasy or Steampunk Army/adventures?

Pics?

For a game itself, never.

The WW2 bomber model kit, or Star Wars model kits (X-Wing, Tydirium Imperial shuttle) I built as a teenager were years before I started to really play RPGs. None of them survived my adolescence (looked like a plane, flew like a rock). If we're talking paper airplanes, I've pencil colored a few in my life. They met crumply death.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question 15th June.

Pics?

I have not built any airships for Steampunk, but now that I have a 3D printer once I find space I will probably do one. I have built dozens of aircraft models when younger, but don't really have room to display them now.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Question 15th June.

Pics?

I have a Revell 1:48 scale A10 that I keep intending to slowly build up, I just really need to open up some space for it. 

I plan on painting it on some sort of Tiger Meet colouration - quite possibly in the colours that 410 did for the 2003 Tiger Meet.  They are the first base I grew up on, after all... I think anyways.  (turns out it became their base a year after I was born, close enough)  There are a few squadrons based out of CFB Cold Lake, some of which were disbanded or merged decades ago.  I might go with 409's tail markings though, because a night hawk seems a lot more epic than a cougar.  That and their original base of operations was my home away from home for soooo long (CFB Comox)... Although, I won't lie, I suspect their patch was one of the "original eight" that dad had a collection of that I liked the most.

I'd go with 408's patch, but I'm saving that for whenever I get an AH-64D Longbow, because it's "funnier" to me (something about TacHel having an attack chopper, and it having the most fearsome animal of all, a CANADIAN GOOSE! as their emblem.  Trust me, they're nasty critters).  That and 408 holds very, very close to my heart, and not just because I grew up with them and most of my first 500 hours in an aircraft (as a passenger) were in their craft! ..And that the guys in the canteen used to always pull pranks on my dad when I was there... 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Question 15th June.

Pics?

I assembled some military kits when I was growing up, but nothing since high school.  Nothing for gaming, or if I did I've forgotten.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 6/14/2019 at 1:12 AM, Glitterwolf said:

Question June 14th

Who is/are your favorite sculptor(s)?

I'd rather not say.

I really enjoy talking to sculptors at conventions, and I'd rather not publicly name favorites.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question 15th June.

Pics?

I have not. I once had plans to build a ship for a D&D campaign that was able to sail into the sky, but never got around to it. Had the foam, had the electric foam cutter, but life and its chaos made the plan fall apart.

A campaign I always thought would be cool to run would be based off of the world of Arianus from the Death Gate Cycle (a Weis & Hickman book series, highly recommend), which would require a few flying ships. Maybe one day I'll get to do that.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question 15th June.

Pics?

I built a papercraft sci-fi ships shuttle a number of years ago. 

DSC04007.JPG

https://towerofthearchmage.blogspot.com/2011/06/paper-models-chickenhawk.html

That's it though. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I have a resin nautilus-shell vase I’ve been meaning to convert to an illithid ship.

I have a couple of more-or-less 28mm scale plastic model planes that I haven’t put together yet.

I have a lot of potential projects. :down:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

On 6/14/2019 at 12:12 AM, Glitterwolf said:

Question June 14th

Usually the sculptor whose mini I’m painting at the moment.  Today it’s Dennis Mize, as it was all last week.  But a bit earlier it was Julie Guthrie and when I was painting old Hackmaster figures it was Jim Johnson.

I guess if somebody asked me “If you were stuck on a desert island and you had all the paint you could ask for as well as quality brushes, but for the rest of your island life you would only have access to a single sculptor, who would it be?”    That would be a much harder question.

Out of old school sculptors I really have a fondness for the infamous Partha trio, Mize, Meier and Guthrie.

In the actual seventies and eighties, I think I could say that Tom Meier was my favorite, but as I came back to the hobby I really gained and appreciation for Dennis Mize and Julie Guthrie.  Two other great old school sculptors that I really like are Jim Johnson and Dave Summers.

The nowaday sculptors I’d probably have to say Patrick Keith does some really cool stuff. I also like Bob Olley, who would also classify as old school but he just came to mind.  This is starting to become a little harder than I thought it was going to be.   I’m giving up now.

Edited by 72moonglum
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Question June 14th

There are so many ways this could be answered. Favorite based on meeting them? Favorite based on style? Favorite based on whose sculptures do I have the most of in my collection?

On that last one I have no idea. It would be an objective way to gauge which sculptor is my favorite if I knew whose work I had purchased the most often. But I have never tracked that. 

On 6/14/2019 at 7:11 AM, Cranky Dog said:

I really don't know if I can honestly answer this one.

There are so many talented sculptors, each with their own unique touch, that it makes it difficult to single out only a few as it really depends on what I'm looking for at the moment.

I like this answer. 

I'll go with Ed Pugh, because this year is *his* year!

And this one. 

On 6/14/2019 at 8:34 AM, malefactus said:

I can't do it [...] there are SO many great sculptors...

And this one..

On 6/14/2019 at 10:43 AM, Loim said:

Too many sculptors that I love to have a favorite.

And this one...

If this was the phrasing of the question:

Question June 14th

Who is/are your favorite sculptor(s) based on their sculpting style?

I am Adding One to the list of candidates for favorite sculptor every one else has already mentioned. And that would be @malefactus:

DSCN8278.JPG

Because Shrooms Rule!

On 6/15/2019 at 12:02 AM, Glitterwolf said:

Question 15th June.

Nothing completed but I have collected pieces and parts to scratch build mad science flying machines. ...or Sky galleons. ...maybe Æther Flyers. ...or Armored Zeppelins, etc.

4 hours ago, Pingo said:

I have a resin nautilus-shell vase I’ve been meaning to convert to an illithid ship.

[...]

I have a lot of potential projects. :down:

In this aspect we are kindred spirits @Pingo although I don’t actually have a Nautilus shell in my collection of potential sky galleon components. 

I have a built few of those. A Grumman F6F, there was a US Navy Jet kit. 

Pics?

I don’t have any. Too far in the past. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Question June 16th.

What is you favorite colour to paint with?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Glitterwolf said:

Question June 16th.

What is you favorite colour to paint with?

ORANGE!

....This is me we're talking about, I practically use SOME sort of orange shade on every mini..... >.>;;;;

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1