Glitterwolf

Getting to Know You JUNE 2019, brought to you by WOOF.

10 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question June 17th.

Who is/are your favorite professional Miniature painter(s)?

I don't really have one. I'm a bit embarassed to say I didn't really know any names until some of the listings in this thread :unsure:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Illithar said:

I don't really have one. I'm a bit embarassed to say I didn't really know any names until some of the listings in this thread :unsure:

Nothing to be embarassed about!

Now you just know some names and you can check out their work for inspiration.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 6/14/2019 at 12:12 AM, Glitterwolf said:

Question June 14th

Who is/are your favorite sculptor(s)?

I have a lot of favourites and certainly a lot of the usual suspects that have been previously mentioned are among them. I have a lot of admiration for sculptors in general and I feel that, also in general, people seem to put far more importance on painters in the hobby than they do on the sculptors. Sculptors' work seems to be treated a lot less like art and a lot more like just a product and I think that's a shame. (That's obviously a generalized statement, don't come at me.) I know that these little figures serve as something with a lot of utility for a lot of people, but they're also art. So I have great respect for all sculptors and especially anyone who has managed to make any sort of career out of their art. You have to have worked exceptionally hard to get noticed and I have so much respect for that. So I'm going to name some of my favourites that I don't think were already mentioned that maybe people here don't know about whose work you should check out, in no particular order: Juan Navarro Perez, Karol Rudyk, Thomas David, Pedro Fernandez, Ali Jalali, Lucas Pina. I could go on, but I'll stop there.

On 6/16/2019 at 3:22 AM, Glitterwolf said:

Question June 16th.

What is you favorite colour to paint with?

My favourite colour to paint with his generally teal/turquoise. I tend to gravitate toward blues, greens and ocean sort of colours. I like any colour that's super vibrant though.

8 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question June 17th.

So like with the sculptor question, I'm not going to list anyone that was previously mentioned even though there are some amazing painters there, some of which are painting heroes to me, in favour of listing amazing artists that maybe you don't know about and should check out, in no particular order: Pepa Saavedra, Robert Karlsson, Patricia Sancho, Chris Suhre, David Colwell, Riccardo Agostini, Francesco Franciuus Farabi, May Aguilar Andreu, Elizabeth Beckley, Ivan Hortal, Marina 'Ringil' Ainagoz, Michal Pisarski, Katarzyna 'KAHA' Gorska. I'm going to stop there or I'll just go on and on. There's so many people doing absolutely amazing work that keep me inspired to keep pushing my own painting.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question June 17th.

That is an incredibly tough choice, but I will have to give it to James Wappel.  Not only is he very good, but his colour matching on his Bolt Action stuff was amazing to see in person.  He gets a few points for that, because it's one thing to paint very well in general - but it's a whole different level to accurately mimic prototype equipment that used unique real-world colours.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, paintybeard said:

I have no idea what this means! I shall have to go and spy on my dear wifes' quilting group...

I once did some quick embroidery on a bodice. The response I got was "oh you broccoli" :lol: 

it's a response of admiration and jealousy.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Nothing to be embarassed about!

Now you just know some names and you can check out their work for inspiration.

With the new & improved web site, all the staff artists work & Inspiration Gallery are gone. It might be more difficult to find a lot of the painters listed above.

• Like 6

Question June 18th.

Have you ever gotten so tired of painting minis you wanted to give up the hobby?

Why? 

BONUS: If so, what brought you back?

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question June 18th.

Have you ever gotten so tired of painting minis you wanted to give up the hobby?

Why? 

I burnt out a few times.

Painting for money burnt me out. I went back out of obligation, I still had some commissions to finish. I gave up after I lost access to my collection. I got back in because of boredom. I gave up a third time when I moved again and ended up two people living in a 100 square foot room. Not a whole lot of space to paint. Also, depression.

I got back in when we moved and became two people living in a 400 square foot room. Totally more space. Hence why we're moving again to a real apartment with more than one room. And some walls for shelving. 

I'm keeping myself in right now through the cunning use of a few projects. Also painting minis for Pathfinder. It's less effort than painting an army and people seem more impressed for some reason.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question June 18th.

Why? 

Not so far.... 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Question June 18th.

Why? 

It wasn’t getting tired of painting miniatures that made me stop. 

It was me getting tired of defending my hobby from my girlfriend at the time that made me stop.

I didn’t get rid of anything though. I just carefully packed everything away.

What brought me back was the ending of that particular relationship.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Question June 18th.

Why? 

Lack of a steady job has taken away most of my motivation, though 40k has kept my foot in the water.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question June 18th.

Why? 

There has been a time when I almost quit. Didn't get rid of it all though, just saved it.

I was burned out from work and relationship troubles at that time.

When I got out of it all and found my inner peace I got back into it.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question June 18th.

Why? 

Not at all. Painting/modelling is my reward to myself for doing all the other tedious nonsense that is integral to living in the modern world.

I do get tired of painting the large numbers of similar figures that are required to make some armies. But, heroically, I manage to keep going... ::P:

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question June 18th.

Why? 

Not tired of painting minis, no.

There have been a few world events that were so shocking that I stepped back from hobby artmaking for some time and moved instead between a fog of existential horror and a fury of political action.

What brought me back is the need to make many kinds of art.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2