Glitterwolf

Getting to Know You JUNE 2019, brought to you by WOOF.

12 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question June 19th.

What are your favorite miniature brands and why these?

( do not post commercial links! Just name the company)

Dark Sword: their sculpts and detail are amazing.

Demented: Australian company on-par with Dark Sword. They do the Guild of Harmony figures as part of their game.

Nocturna: I love their detail, I love their style, and their quality is the best I've seen. They're phenomenal.

Scale 75: Lots of stuff I like, although I'm getting a bit vexed waiting on my KS from them (at this point, it is due to CanadaPost though).

Bear's Head: favorite small company. They made the beer-holder beholder!

Reaper: Had been a great go-to for my needs, and most of my stuff is Reaper. With current shipping changes and communication I'm giving them "harumph!!". But... they're still reliable and have met my needs regularly.

Kimera/Pegaso have amazing original pieces, as does Aradia.

There are some others I could go on about, but I'll leave it here for now.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CashWiley said:

Kingdom Death, I just dig the aesthetic. Too bad they're difficult to collect now that the game got popular.

RBG, Trebeard incarnate. I wish he'd branch out a bit more, but what he does, he does best.

Imbrian Arts, I wish Jody could get his act together, he's so unique and phenomenal.

This is my list of "I wish they were favorites."

KD left a bad taste in my mouth because of some unique-to-me customer service issues, plus the minis I want are too hard to get due to scarcity or cost or both. I also find the marketing-above-all approach distasteful, but that's me.

Tre is INCREDIBLE, but the minis I want of his are few and far between. I, too, wish he would branch out a bit.

I love the Imbrian Arts minis I have. But Jody is apparently incapable of running a business. It's really too bad, because IMO he should by all rights be more successful than Poots, based on aesthetic and execution alone.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, CashWiley said:

RBG, Trebeard incarnate. I wish he'd branch out a bit more, but what he does, he does best.

1 hour ago, Sanael said:

Tre is INCREDIBLE, but the minis I want of his are few and far between. I, too, wish he would branch out a bit.

What exactly is it that you wish he would do? I've got a conversation with Tre in the works, need to schedule an official date. I'd be willing to pass along ideas.

Keep in mind, given that his company is named after the original Red Box edition of D&D, he's probably not going to stray far from what inspires him (i.e. space marines are unlikely). But suggestions do have a way of creating inspiration that may fit within his vision.

• Like 8

14 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question June 19th.

Reaper for price, having a wide selection, and some outstanding large minis.

Iron Wind for continuing to produce a lot of nostalgic stuff and the size of their catalog.

GF9 for making great stuff I keep buying and never being confident enough to paint. 

Corvus Belli for all their sci fi  sculpts.

Dark Sword for anthropomorphic minis and great quality. 

Low Life for a strange little thing called the Sockstrosity. 

Copplestone Casting for all their gangster/noir stuff.

Probably a couple dozen I'm not remembering right now. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I forgot Copplestone and Dragonbait. 

There are some KD minis I'd love to own, but I refuse to play their game. Manufactured scarcity in any form makes me mad. If possible I will not support it. 

Tre is the sculptor of my favorite miniature to date, sadly it's OOP, but I bought like 5 of them, so I'm kind of set. His dwarves are among the most favorite sculpts I have. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, ManvsMini said:

What exactly is it that you wish he would do? I've got a conversation with Tre in the works, need to schedule an official date. I'd be willing to pass along ideas.

I suppose I could be more clear... I WANT his entire catalog, but I know that most of his "player race" figures aren't really in the world/aesthetic for the games I run. If I started running LotFP or similar, I might be more likely to pick up more of those... But Eberron tends to lean more Late-Renaissance-into-Industrial-Revolution than Dark Ages.

Tre's goblins are my favorite goblins, and I see there are more of those since I last visited the site, so he might see an order from me in the next few months. Could use more lady-gobbos, though.

I'd love to see Tre do a pack of several gnolls, maybe with a North African vibe to them (Tuareg traditional dress is pretty cool, and Tre seems to enjoy sculpting draped fabric...a pack of several veiled male gnolls and a female done up a bit like Queen Tin Hanan would be great).

I'd also like some of the larger goblinoids like bugbears and hobgoblins. Something that leans into the Eastern Mediterranean, maybe Ottoman, would be great.

Basically, I guess I'm saying that I love what Tre has done with Northern and Western medieval Europe, so I'd like to see what happens when he drifts to the Southeast. And more monstrous humanoids.

22 minutes ago, Loim said:

Tre is the sculptor of my favorite miniature to date, sadly it's OOP, but I bought like 5 of them, so I'm kind of set. 

Which one is that? His Magda from Afar is one of my all-time favorites.

• Like 5

@Sanael Handy Havrik Master Guildsman. Not sure what it is about it, but I love it. 

• Like 4

Sorry @Glitterwolf, I've been fighting the brainweasels this week and keep forgetting to post in this thread ::(:

Let's just say that I used to occasionally paint things to basic tabletop level for friends, my favourite minis are dragons and I'll paint them red whenever I can :ph34r:

Oh, and I love all the Reaper artists but I also have a deep admiration for the work of Angel Giraldez. His mechs are utterly gorgeous :wub:

19 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question June 19th.

Well, Reaper obviously.....

I've got a lot of Infinity minis from Corvus Belli, mostly due to Mr Giraldez

Games Workshop, mostly elves, trees, 'nids and big gribbly beasties. 

Privateer Press, mostly for Circle Oboros and Everblight.  

Legend of Signum for exquisite resin casts

Zealot minis for awesome minotaurs

I'm sure I'm missing some, I'll add more if I remember tomorrow.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Question June 20th.

What games do you play with your minis?

And if you can't or don't game, what do you do with them?

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question June 20th.

Primarily tabletop - Pathfinder, currently, but realistically? Whatever we decide we want to play.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question June 20th.

Pathfinder, mostly.

Any RPGs, tbh.

Partner plays X-Wing. Otherwise we paint for display, for fun, and because the minis look cool.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question June 20th.

Currently only using the Warhammer 40k figures for the game. My Pathfinder group only uses virtual tabletops now, so there is no demand for any fantasy figures.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question June 20th.

This is a tricky one.

The games I’ve actually played recently with them would be Mantics The Walking Dead and TSR’s Battlesystem.

Yes thats right, a 30 year old TSR game.

What I think I’m doing is building up a mini supply in preparation for playing games of AD&D, Kings of War, Star Saga, Rangers of Shadow Deep, Gloomhaven, and maybe even some Burrows and Badgers.

We’ll have to wait and see what actually happens.

In the meantime, buy and hoard, buy and hoard, paint a mini . Buy and hoard. Buy and hoard...

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

23 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question June 20th.

Several.  There's Will You Ever Get Finished?  and  My God, Why Are Your Eyes So Tiny, and Can I Fit More On This Shelf?   But if you mean actual, real, game games, none.  Games, imo, only exist as my cover story to buy neat cool things.  See, I need a new 10.5 cm howitzer for reasons and not just because it looks cool.  It's for shooting shooty things over there, wherever.  There's enemies or something.  Stop asking questions and admire my tanks.  

27 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

I create elaborate dramatic stories in my head, as if all the figures on the shelves were living in a Big Brother house.  You can bet that Takhisis doesn't much like Captain Miller of 2nd Rangers always stealing her sammiches, I can tell you that.  And he doesn't much like her zapping his company with her breath weapons.  But that's how simple it is, that's how you make the choice between the mission and the man - but this time, the mission is for spam.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 14

56 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question June 20th.

Put them on display, and/or use them for D&D. Technically a recent figure could be used for Malifaux, but I don't play that - just have some figures to paint of it. I also have been known to give figures as gifts.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1