Glitterwolf

Getting to Know You JUNE 2019, brought to you by WOOF.

To all of you would like to play games with their minis but can't find people to play with.

There are several games out there that you can play solo ( Warhammer Quest to name one), maybe an idea that not everyone has considered?

Me..I like to arrange the troops, take pics, conjure up stories and have fun.

Yes..I'm a big kid at those moments, but who cares, the rest of the time I'm an adult.

• Like 13

1 hour ago, Glitterwolf said:

WEEKEND QUESTION June 21th - June 23th

When painting minis do you like the realistic or the cartoony approach?

Show ( some) of your work.

BONUS: Paint something in the opposite style and show us ( older work acceptable also if you can't make it)

I like to tell myself that I can do both approaches, and it's fun to swap between the two.

So, cartoonish:

347541624_Orks4.thumb.JPG.fc1cd59779dd2f4d82af2d958bbfd950.JPG

...and (hopefully) realistic;

1567241749_ForgottenArmy.thumb.JPG.e92ab4e5eaf4c418fdd8d96f8d6a566d.JPG

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, redambrosia said:

Did he... why doesn't he have pants on?!:wacko:

He's about to wade across a river.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, paintybeard said:

He's about to wade across a river.

See, I thought he was part of the forgotten army because he forgot his pants maybe :wacko:

Edited by redambrosia
  • Haha 12

3 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

BONUS: Paint something in the opposite style and show us ( older work acceptable also if you can't make it)

I don't know.

I use a lot of bright colours and come from the anime school of 'Anything can be a hair colour', so I guess I favour the cartoony approach, but I'm strictly a fantasy mini painter so I don't really understand how I could ever paint in a realistic style.

For example, take Decimate here:-

LPSZ3Ni.jpg

or The Fighter:-

BUXF7Cj.jpg

I wouldn't consider either to have been painted realistically, but, apart from going for a more natural hair colour on them, I don't know what I could differently to give them a more realistic paint job. 

If that makes any sense.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

I started out as a historical gamer painting for 18th Century, Napoleonic, & some Renaissance. Then I got involved with D&D/AD&D painting fantasy stuff. Ergo, I developed a love for bright colors. I never cared much for modern period/SciFi games. SO I paint in a cartoony (colorful) style rather than a realistic (drab) style.

I have 365 pages of my work here:

https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/49696-the-last-hurrah-projectphoto-heavy/

No. I don't enjoy boring colors & I paint for enjoyment.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, redambrosia said:

See, I thought he was part of the forgotten army because he forgot his pants maybe :wacko:

The more I think about this the more irrational I realize it is. If an entire army showed up to the war without their pants on they would never be forgotten. 

Silly me.

• Like 2
  • Haha 9
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, redambrosia said:

5 minutes ago, redambrosia said:

The more I think about this the more irrational I realize it is. If an entire army showed up to the war without their pants on they would never be forgotten. 

Silly me.

Basically this poor exhausted man has his trousers off as it will make it easier for him to see and remove the jungle leeches that will attach to him as he crosses a river.

"Forgotten Army" refers to the British Empire 14th. Army in Burma in WW2. It got that nick-name due it's very low priority for supplies compared to the troops fighting in NW Europe.

Their commander was a man called Bill Slim. With the black humour that British soldiers have always enjoyed he is quoted as saying: "Of course you are not The Forgotten Army. That would imply anyone had heard of you in the first place."

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

I suspect my style leans more towards cartoony, but I honestly wouldn't know, as it's something I haven't ever really considered.  I tend to just go with whatever "feels right" on a mini. 

...Even if it feels like so many of my minis wind up looking rather grim and dark, and/or murderous.... >.>;;;

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

As realistic as fantasy minis can be. 

It would take a miracle for me to get something painted right now.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, redambrosia said:

Silly me.

It has happened many times. Consider the Scots and their kilts. They fought "free". 

• Like 8
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

20 minutes ago, Baldur8762 said:

It has happened many times. Consider the Scots and their kilts. They fought "free". 

Well, they did get the nickname "The Ladies from Hell", so they were doing something right :poke:

• Like 7
  • Haha 5

6 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

I think I tend to paint in a more realistic style. Though I do tend to paint mostly fantasy so not sure where that falls.

Spoiler

dagoncollage.thumb.jpg.8189c37b60435972590c3e44228d0c26.jpg0126191758.thumb.jpg.3c81bf1346a2ff7906204402fb8701ba.jpgsophie3.thumb.jpg.e8dc4f7020ae75d1f084d2347756f120.jpg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

I aim for the realistic approach, because they look more life-like. I don't mind doing bright hair-colors like is found in anime because these days we have hair dyes to give any shade you want; a fantasy world could easily have that, right?

Maybe I am a realistic-cartoon approach instead?

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1