Glitterwolf

Getting to Know You JUNE 2019, brought to you by WOOF.

For Battletch, CAV and models, realistic. For Bloodbowl, cartoony, especially mr Female  Chaos Dwarf team, Pandora;s Manic Sisters.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

since I tend to like expressive faces, I lean more toward the exaggerated cartoony approach in my miniatures.  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

WEEKEND QUESTION June 21th - June 23th

When painting minis do you like the realistic or the cartoony approach?

Show ( some) of your work.

BONUS: Paint something in the opposite style and show us ( older work acceptable also if you can't make it)

I paint realistic-ish and cartoonish, as much as one can with fantasy and sci-fi minis.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

BONUS: Paint something in the opposite style and show us ( older work acceptable also if you can't make it)

Both. The last year I did serious painting (2014), I tried an experiment in painting what was then the 'american style' vs 'european style', which kind of tracks to cartoony vs realistic (or chromatic vs gritty or something, I dunno). It was a lot of fun and I recommend everyone try it! Old photos because that's what I got.

Noreth_1.jpg

Noreth_2.jpg

Rollo_1.jpg

Rollo_2.jpg

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

@CashWiley  which is which?

(I really like that Barbarian’s sword.)

Edited by TGP
  • Like 6

I'd say more towards the cartoony side but I do try for realistic. Here's a mini I consider one of my better ones for more cartoony.

DDS2sorceress.thumb.jpg.e6fa3b0dfb1c9ba2b87a0b01b5de5be3.jpg

For realistic I have one I finished a couple days ago I'll try to photograph soon.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Both! I love the realism that can emerge from paying attention to lighting, shadows, etc. I also love the clean shading from cartoony styles.

A long time ago, @CashWiley was working on some extreme shading before blending on his KD:M minis. I absolutely loved the clean look of his WIP minis and they reminded me of the sharp-edged Borderlands style.

I uh, didn't actually own any minis at the time so I put them in my Ideas OneNote. 

I forgot about them until just now. I knew Bathory's amazing comic work was similar to something I had wanted to try but my brain was/is full of holes. :lol: 

image.png.7515037b3f0b1af917f1b55f714501a9.png

I'm working on a few different minis right now - Kiara will be painted realistically once I'm done sculpting her, my dragon is a mix (based off of a real snake but with some cartoony effects), and a surprise one will be full cartoon. I'm awfully excited for the last one but I can't show it until the end of August.

We just moved so I haven't been able to do much lately and ReaperCon is coming up aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

IMG_20190621_1318192.thumb.jpg.5427aa07acecd1e65485d29c45fa3c4f.jpg

Edited by Morihalda
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 2

I try to keep a certain realism in my painting, especially when I paint animals.

Even a fantasy mini can look more realistic, and I try to achieve that.

Older pics, I have little or no time this weekend.

I did a Chibi mini once for my oldest stepvixen, and the Frog Cavalry from Eureka is painted in realistic colours but their looks are just cartoony!

Realistic ( as I could manage)

DSCN0871.thumb.JPG.aeea0a36a263cecac49b04799faa1001.JPG

DSCN9916.thumb.JPG.61024a8edd4e54e80834e44537cbc4df.JPG

DSCN0533.thumb.JPG.3660d54d22c8f8ca58d9ca5c1e09abc9.JPG

1482267349_DSCN6677-kopie.thumb.JPG.0fd5e1ddef6dff5a311001371823e868.JPG

Carrtoonish

DSCN4003 - kopie.JPG

DSCN8658.JPG

fanatic.jpg

• Like 15

10 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

I would say realistic because of my approach to highlights and shadows.  I have done some that read the other way though.  One of these days I'll paint some cell shaded style minis, just not sure when.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

I think I lean towards more realistic but with brighter colors.

This one is probably my most cartoony:

post-13093-0-99467800-1469842443_thumb.jpg

Most are more like these:

post-13093-0-13359500-1484518728_thumb.jpgGR3.thumb.JPG.101ff319dfe207e5c79b8ef092b13d4b.JPG82A04CDA-F3B2-49C4-986A-FA2E741A1B4E.thumb.jpeg.b062791ff792da32a6e7b18f120d8e3d.jpeg72C7BC0B-CA49-461F-A8FA-1BDCF8F23A52.thumb.jpeg.7ac0ba23d7e82c2ce480781b9c2ca147.jpeg3DFA28C0-7ABE-46CC-800A-76B35A65106D.thumb.jpeg.f58f390b7752d00c3fa9ab6827c2fef9.jpeg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

I find it strange that a lot of us seem to interpret "bright colours" to mean "cartoony". Based on that cell shaded picture @Morihalda posted above, I'd say most of us paint realistically. The world is full of bright colours.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, redambrosia said:

I find it strange that a lot of us seem to interpret "bright colours" to mean "cartoony". Based on that cell shaded picture @Morihalda posted above, I'd say most of us paint realistically. The world is full of bright colours.

I agree with this.

When I think "cartony", I think of a clear style difference from the single-light-source, highlight/shadow we typically follow.

@Bathory's cross-hatch style is distinctly different. I would describe it as comic-style, or maybe cross-hatch, but it is clearly distinct from the most popular style.

I have seen some Gundam/mecha styles that attempt to look cell-shaded. That one I might call more cartoonish.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, redambrosia said:

I think like most things when talking about art, it is a matter of interpretation. For me when I hear "cartoony" I think not just of the cell-shaded style but also like how most people paint chibis. For me its not just bright colors but how the colors are used. I say that my mage is my most "cartoony" not just because of the bright colors but more so the combination of colors I used and how I tried to exaggerate the shading.

• Like 7

14 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

I'm not sure.

I think I probably kind of smash the two together and what comes out is what comes out.

Warduke:

image.png.ff8c4ee92d367e2d0b45f71b9ffd6b90.png

More pics here, if you're interested.

13 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

To all of you would like to play games with their minis but can't find people to play with.

There are several games out there that you can play solo ( Warhammer Quest to name one), maybe an idea that not everyone has considered?

Me..I like to arrange the troops, take pics, conjure up stories and have fun.

Yes..I'm a big kid at those moments, but who cares, the rest of the time I'm an adult.

I have looked into solo gaming, but there are A LOT of rules out there, and it can get expensive trying to find a good set.

(Hmmmm, this might make a good thread....)

Warhammer Quest is something I'd love to get my hands on, but any time I see a copy go up for sale anywhere, it goes for insane amounts of money.

• Like 11

2 hours ago, redambrosia said:

You put that into better words. I'm telling you guys, I'm awful at it. :lol: But yeah, I was trying to get to that by pointing out lighting and shading differences.

• Like 7