Glitterwolf

Getting to Know You JUNE 2019, brought to you by WOOF.

15 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

WEEKEND QUESTION June 21th - June 23th

When painting minis do you like the realistic or the cartoony approach?

Show ( some) of your work.

BONUS: Paint something in the opposite style and show us ( older work acceptable also if you can't make it)

Uh.. closer to realistic, albeit, not drab. Even my peasants get their little bits of colour! :p

I may post some examples later, if I don't get sidetracked and forget. >.>

• Like 7

If color = cartoony then how would you approach a proper landschneckt unit? 

DpofzIiUwAEqJ-8.jpg

Not sure that the sunglasses are historically accurate...

averland_troops_by_wastort-dba1mz6.jpg

• Like 9
  • Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Auberon said:

I would throw these ^ guys under the big balloon-like tyres ^ of the cartoony bus. (Warhammer cosplayers...)

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

15 minutes ago, Auberon said:

DpofzIiUwAEqJ-8.jpg

Seems legit.

My mother's bachelor's degree is in the chemistry of textile dyes, modern and historical. She got the degree while I was in middle school and she needed someone to rant about her classes at. I learned a few things :ph34r:

• Like 8

18 minutes ago, Auberon said:

Back when I was playing SCA, semi-seriously, Countess Khymber and I had plans (never realized, more's the pity) to do a full Dayglo landsknecht costume.

On the theory that they would definitely have done it if Dayglo had been available. (And of course there was at least one case of full Elizabethan garb done in camouflage fabric, because nose-thumbing is appropriate in any era.)

• Like 11
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Auberon said:

DpofzIiUwAEqJ-8.jpg

Flamboyantly, of course. ::D:

• Like 6

57 minutes ago, TGP said:

I would throw these ^ guys under the big balloon-like tyres ^ of the cartoony bus. (Warhammer cosplayers...)

Warhammer may not be as colorful as the real thing, but they were the first groups shot I found.

47 minutes ago, Doug Sundseth said:

Back when I was playing SCA, semi-seriously, Countess Khymber and I had plans (never realized, more's the pity) to do a full Dayglo landsknecht costume.

On the theory that they would definitely have done it if Dayglo had been available. (And of course there was at least one case of full Elizabethan garb done in camouflage fabric, because nose-thumbing is appropriate in any era.)

But could you have pulled off pink?

1376930403295.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 6

I don't think it is colour as such that makes things cartoonish, but the degree of colour saturation and contrast.

so, using examples from a far better painter (Sebastian Archer) than I will ever be:

I would call this tending towards cartoon style:

ArielleFinal1.thumb.jpg.8e4494c0c5f90479aef712dee3f12ab9.jpg

And this more realistic;

sniperchick1.thumb.jpg.4885d45e745aaeb87e98d7ce69580d44.jpg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Auberon said:

Warhammer may not be as colorful as the real thing, but they were the first groups shot I found.

1376930403295.jpg

Well, obviously ... Real Men Wear Pink!

Everyone knows this. Where have you been?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

37 minutes ago, Sylverthorne said:

I don't think anybody could get away with telling a veteran landsknecht how goofy he looked.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

20 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

WEEKEND QUESTION June 21th - June 23th

When painting minis do you like the realistic or the cartoony approach?

Show ( some) of your work.

BONUS: Paint something in the opposite style and show us ( older work acceptable also if you can't make it)

I always thought I painted in a more cartoony style, I’d say I definitely prefer cartoony sculpts over more realistic or at least realistically proportioned ones.

But after reading what folks have been writing and post pics of here, I’m not so sure where my painting style falls.

FF5432D5-7BDA-4CBF-B0BF-4BEDA6EC26C3.thumb.jpeg.06d83381352dd928cd8ffd55793bc74b.jpeg

1D8C8E13-80E0-4340-9AB5-45A58063FF9B.thumb.jpeg.3d3f7e5d218fc44d9dac8609a1057bc1.jpeg

I don’t usually show my painted stuff, cause I paint mostly just for me, but these are a couple of old favourites I guess I’d call realistically cartoony.

1AB5289B-0C0D-44E1-AEC8-A667B2EBCBC0.thumb.jpeg.10cfbc9a336ecfb5fd16c319375e9a67.jpeg

EB1C44D3-2241-4E6B-89B0-A7820583D6AB.thumb.jpeg.9c49fcaa41dd711554872de494c50440.jpeg

The bear I painted at the recent Reaper paint and take at PaizoCon. Lighting was the best and I can see the base is a bit rough but I’d call it realistic style.

The other two Reaper ladies I’d call more cartoony.

And I find I like making, painting and basing buildings and terrain so...

D98B6AC5-4746-4761-BDBD-BBB347751730.thumb.jpeg.278d4ca2c8cc00b92f9affcb4f6b9254.jpeg

76DD3EE7-057B-46E6-A963-841C55239A06.thumb.jpeg.04bb2e2f557c8e75878901449a29b98e.jpeg

71CBD456-A466-4230-A80F-8276BD3FA590.thumb.jpeg.fdf47cba769d9e4b6126db64c4f62372.jpeg

The trees are done in a more realistic style, and the buildings more cartoony but with more realistic basing. I find I like that mixed look of styles.

And apologies for the photos (and the number of them) and lighting.

Pics are taken with my IPod and while I do have a proper light box its not easily accessible, but the kitchen countertop with its bright fluorescent lighting was.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sylverthorne said:

Given that pink was considered a masculine colour for quite some time... 

..I also used to rock pink in my raver garb, although it was a hot neon pink!  I also did wear a pink camo headwrap with paintball for a while too. Best part? People were actually astounded that someone who's 6'2" could play front in an air ball field, and play it well. 

... I was in better shape back then, but apparently seeing someone using rental gear, dressed all in black minus the pink camo headwrap, and all 230ish pounds slide in between tacos/nachos at top speed and then dive for the snake... Such was apparently intimidating. 

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Auberon said:

You would have to ask someone else whether I can pull it off, but the Marketing group generally compliments me when I wear my "not pink at all, it's salmon" shirt to work.

::P:

• Like 10

5 hours ago, TGP said:

I searched the webz for “cartoony painting style”. That resulted in finding this:

https://www.boredpanda.com/cartoonist-draws-himself-100-cartoon-style-kevin-mcshane/

Odd, there's no classic Disney styles in there. 

4 hours ago, Doug Sundseth said:

You would have to ask someone else whether I can pull it off, but the Marketing group generally compliments me when I wear my "not pink at all, it's salmon" shirt to work.

::P:

IMG_2441.PNG.6d377ffb591ba79d7797e8ac7ba8a0c3.PNG

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1