Glitterwolf

Getting to Know You JUNE 2019, brought to you by WOOF.

43 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question June 24th

Do you prefer gigantic/huge monster minis or would you rather have them fit a 40mm / 50mm base?

Ooooooh, that's a tough one.  Uhm.....  I'll go with gigantic monsters and whatnot, because they tend to have all sorts of fun things to paint...  Even if they wind up taking what feels like forever.

Because Minotaur Demon Lord and 28mm Dictator B...  And dragons.!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question June 24th

Do you prefer gigantic/huge monster minis or would you rather have them fit a 40mm / 50mm base?

When it comes to the larger minis, base size isn't something I really think about, but then the ones I have were acquired either as use as a scenery piece, or as household decoration not gaming purposes. As long as I can fit it into a plant pot with room for the plant it's all good. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question June 24th

Uh, yes?

i think at this point I prefer it if they fit the base but I don’t care overly if I need to go up a size or two if they need it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question June 24th

As I've mentioned before I don't game but paint for fun and display.

I like the occasional huge monster as a display piece or as a centrepiece for an army ( I still love to create armies).

However with the trend in Bones, lately I feel overwhelmed.

I have Khanjira and will use it. I painted the original Bones Kaladrax.

But I've recently sold my Ma'aldrakar and have put up T'raukzul for sale as well.

They are great sculpts but due to storage and display space I need to size down.

Recently I find myself to want to paint more suitable sized monsters.

A few gargantuans are fine, but I don't need 20 of them.

I was actually happy with the more realistic size of Bones IV Mammoth for example.

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 6

Considering I actually game weekly now, I think I'd rather have them be proper sized for the table. I never did have a problem with sizing of minis till I started gaming at home again.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question June 24th

I prefer smaller minis.

Huge minis are nice to look at, but I have no where near enough patience to paint them up.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question June 24th

I like the idea of hugantic monster figures, but I haven't actually managed to paint any of 'em yet...

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question June 24th

I don't take the size of the base into account with regards to mini size. A small mini on a large, heavily sceniced base looks cool.

I prefer minis in the tiny to large sizes. From my long years painting lead miniatures, huge minis are a pain...I refer to them as wrist breakers.

AND I never developed any fondness for Dragons with the exception of the Jabberwocky.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question June 24th

Sculptures that fit (that is to say need) 40 or 50mm bases are Huge or Giant size category per the rules I know about. 

4 hours ago, Darsc Zacal said:

Gigantic/huge/hugely gigantic for the win! Think beyond the base.

There is nothing wrong with giving each foot of a sculpture its own gaming base. Four footed dragon? four 50mm round gaming bases? ...thatsa properly based dragon that is. 

1 hour ago, Chaoswolf said:

I like the idea of hugantic monster figures, but I haven't actually managed to paint any of 'em yet...

This ^ ...

.I have yet to try the notion I explained above on an actual sculpt, but I have about three candidates. 

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, TGP said:

Sculptures that fit (that is to say need) 40 or 50mm bases are Huge or Giant size category per the rules I know about. 

To be more precise:

I don't game, so not aware of those rules.

I'm referring to the trend of producing bigger and bigger monsters.

( Argent, Maáldrakar, Khanjira, T'raukzul, Maáshaaf etc).

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

To be more precise:

I don't game, so not aware of those rules.

Yeah, I am not sure about D&D anymore but for Oldhammer/Warhammer a 50mm square was a Giant. 

Chariots and Dinosaurs occupied a 50 wide by 100 deep rectangle. 

I kinda thought 100x100 was a legit size in new D&D like @PaganMegan and @TheAuldGrump play with the maps that are all 5 foot squares. Argent would fit in a 4 square X 4 square space on a rpg map. Or...It might be 5 squares long. I should check. 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, TGP said:

Yeah, I am not sure about D&D anymore but for Oldhammer/Warhammer a 50mm square was a Giant. 

Chariots and Dinosaurs occupied a 50 wide by 100 deep rectangle. 

I kinda thought 100x100 was a legit size in new D&D like @PaganMegan and @TheAuldGrump play with the maps that are all 5 foot squares. Argent would fit in a 4 square X 4 square space on a rpg map. Or...It might be 5 squares long. I should check. 

During the final days of Warhammer ( before AOS) there were also larger and larger monsters, Terrorgheist comes to mind.

I do like them, but one can only store so many of those, while the old Grenadier Dragons fit snuggly on a 40mm base and one could collect the whole range as opposed to two or three dragons these days.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question June 24th

Mostly I prefer my monsters to for on a 3" or smaller base. 

Mostly.

There are exceptions, but those exceptions don't see the table often.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Ginormous minis are great in theory, but a pita to prep and paint. I like the idea that one day I'll have a big enough hobby space that it will be irrelevant. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1