Glitterwolf

Getting to Know You JUNE 2019, brought to you by WOOF.

6 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question June 24th

Do you prefer gigantic/huge monster minis or would you rather have them fit a 40mm / 50mm base?

Yes.  Both.  It's very much a mood thing. Smaller minis let me try different effects and get things done quickly, while on the other hand giant-honking-dragons are just (to scale) tons of fun.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question June 24th

Do you prefer gigantic/huge monster minis or would you rather have them fit a 40mm / 50mm base?

I prefer 40/50 unless there is a compelling reason for it to be bigger,like if it is expected to be climbed upon by the players or made up of components that have to be a specific size.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question June 24th

I mostly paint small to medium monsters because that's what ends up on the table most sessions. But I really like to paint at least one or two gigantic/huge critters per year. I don't worry about base size because we don't play any games where it's an issue. This year my gigantic project is Ma'al Drakar. No way that thing is fitting on 40 to 50 mm. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question June 24th

For painting, probably hunormous*. The large canvas is fun.

For gaming, most of the "monsters" I paint will fit comfortably on a 25-30mm base (sometimes smaller). Anything larger than a 75mm base is unlikely to get used more than once, and then only because an encounter was specifically designed for that figure.

* Avoiding terms specific to certain base sizes in well-known RPGs.

Edited by Doug Sundseth
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question June 24th

For game play something that is about fist sized, or takes up ~4 hexes/squares on the game map is usually enough. Anything more is a pain to transport and difficult to surprise players with. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question June 24th

I prefer smaller monsters. Anything that won't fit on a 3" square base or slightly bigger won't get as much playing time. I don't need many ginormous monsters that take up half the playing area. 2"/50mm bases are a good size for the majority.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Inarah said:

Anything more is a pain to transport and difficult to surprise players with. 

My group knows I paint the occasional enormous miniature to torture them with. Often it will arrive at the game packed nicely away in a nondescript cardboard box. However, showing up with a large box kind of ruins the surprise. So I just started bringing a large cardboard box to every other game with a couple of books thrown in to give it some heft. This prevents them from knowing if something is actually in the box and keeps them in a kind of state of low grade terror. Surprise maintained.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

12 minutes ago, Thoramel said:

My group knows I paint the occasional enormous miniature to torture them with. Often it will arrive at the game packed nicely away in a nondescript cardboard box. However, showing up with a large box kind of ruins the surprise. So I just started bringing a large cardboard box to every other game with a couple of books thrown in to give it some heft. This prevents them from knowing if something is actually in the box and keeps them in a kind of state of low grade terror. Surprise maintained.

I set really big miniatures next to my screen almost every time I GM. Sometimes I even use them. ::D:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

9 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question June 24th

Yes.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I'm slightly surprised nobody so far has mentioned "both", like how Privateer Press likes to do...  Take the biggest creature they can imagine, and then... Stuff it onto a 50mm base.

Spoiler

Behemoth.jpg

• Haha 8

9 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question June 24th

I prefer that the miniature fit the subject.

I absolutely love some of the titanic dragons and giants we have seen in recent years, from both Reaper and others. On the other hand, not every miniature should be over-the-top huge. I am happy that we still have access to giants that are 2-3x the height of a normal humanoid, and they are not all titan-scale. I love the dragon hatchlings we got in Bones III, and in metal.

I do game, so I sometimes care about base sizes, but I do not consider that my primary motivation when evaluating a sculpt.

I will say that I do not like it when a sculpt is artificially contorted to fit on a particular gaming base. There have been a number of offenders over the years. As a general rule, if your monster has to unnaturally contort itself to squeeze onto a 50mm base, you should have sculpted it smaller. (Or aimed for a bigger base)

Edited by klarg1
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Thoramel said:

Given that I already carry a bag of books, a figure case or two, a bag with food or snacks, and a purse, adding an extra box doesn't sound like much fun for me. 

Ditto setting a large figure on the table for players to play with for 30 minutes before the game starts.  Maybe if I had the luxury of being GM at home... but I don't. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question June 24th

I do like my monsters to have bases that reflect their appropriate size, mostly due to have an RPG background and using minis for combat. I also feel the appropriate base size helps maintain stability so my giant mini isn't falling over (I don't like to use counter weight underneath the base). Plus, I did buy about 10x 120mm bases from Rackham when they liquidated 9ish years ago, so I'd hate to waste those.

That said, I love what Creature Caster has done, by making massive minis and having their profile fit onto predominately 50mm bases. Really hope to get some of those one day.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Question June 24th

I like minis that will fit on some sort of base at all. I had to buy an unfinished clock face to put Ma'al on when I finish him and then Husband decided the base needed to be square. <_< Not sure if that actually answers the question...

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Question June 24th

Ehh.. whichever. Considering my favorite thing is DRAGON! .. and most dragons are pretty big ... ^^;

But it is easier if I have a suitable base to put them on; they're more stable, and if I have to counterweight them, I can.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1