Glitterwolf

Getting to Know You JUNE 2019, brought to you by WOOF.

12 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question June 24th

Do you prefer gigantic/huge monster minis or would you rather have them fit a 40mm / 50mm base?

Anything can fit on a 40mm/ 50mm base, if you have enough of them. ::P:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

13 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question June 24th

Do you prefer gigantic/huge monster minis or would you rather have them fit a 40mm / 50mm base?

An occasional giant mini is fun, but I much prefer under 40mm. Short attention span can sometimes make the big guys feel like a slog.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question June 24th

When I was gaming it was never at my place.  The need to transport things limited the appeal of really big monsters.  Now I just paint whatever and don't have to worry about it.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 6/21/2019 at 9:30 AM, Glitterwolf said:

WEEKEND QUESTION June 21th - June 23th

When painting minis do you like the realistic or the cartoony approach?

Show ( some) of your work.

BONUS: Paint something in the opposite style and show us ( older work acceptable also if you can't make it)

I think my style is fairly cartoonish, I certainly like painting high contrast and bright colours (even if I don't always get it looking as good as I want it to be). Especially with my favourite magical creatures like dragons and spirits. I'm currently away from my minis, so I'll post photos as soon as I can

18 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question June 24th

I find it hard to answer this question- some days I prefer wee minis, other days I'm happier with something monstrous. 

Mind you, I used to actively avoid large metal minis purely because I hate drilling and pinning metal. I've got an old Confrontation metal wyvern that is still sitting sadly in its box because I cannot for the life of me pin that monster together. It's broken every drill bit that it came into contact with :angry: I want to paint it so badly, but it really needs to be pinned to stay together long term.

I guess my criteria for picking a mini is-

Will it drive me mad trying to build it?   (Probably not)

Is it pretty?  (Good grief, yes)

Can i afford it?  (Yeah, why not)

This is one of the reasons that I love the Bones line. Good sized, gorgeous big minis that are surprisingly affordable, what's not to love? 

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Kuroneko said:

Mind you, I used to actively avoid large metal minis purely because I hate drilling and pinning metal. I've got an old Confrontation metal wyvern that is still sitting sadly in its box because I cannot for the life of me pin that monster together. It's broken every drill bit that it came into contact with :angry: I want to paint it so badly, but it really needs to be pinned to stay together long term.

I may never be a demigod of painting, but I have some form of divine inspiration when it comes to assembly (never had a bit break, always seem to get stuff attached). I'd be interested in seeing a pic of this wyvern (especially if it is an old Rackham!) and offering assembly strategies if you would like. You can always PM and we can discuss. ::D:

EDIT: Is it the Dragon Titan of Aarklash? Or the Cynwall Dragon of Lanever? Pleeeeease tell me it's one of those, they are so cool looking!

Edited by ManvsMini
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 6/21/2019 at 12:30 AM, Glitterwolf said:

WEEKEND QUESTION June 21th - June 23th

When painting minis do you like the realistic or the cartoony approach?

Show ( some) of your work.

BONUS: Paint something in the opposite style and show us ( older work acceptable also if you can't make it)

Uhhh... not sure? probably somewhere in between.

Spoiler

kbAQw9k.jpg

cmwfAwM.jpg

21 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question June 24th

I like the idea of hugenormous 'miniatures' but I find them a daunting task to paint. I have a partially painted Khanjira on my shelf as testament to that fact. So, it terms of actually getting them painted? There's also the issue of shelf space, My Mal'drakar is currently unassembled because I do not have room for an assembled one :down:. So, at this time the 40mm/50mm size is probably preferred.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Kuroneko said:

It's broken every drill bit that it came into contact with :angry:

I've broken a bit or two over the years, but I don't think as many as three. And I've drilled literally hundreds of holes for weapon replacement or pinning.

• Use a knife or a sharp punch to make a tiny divot at the point where you want to drill. This keeps the drill bit tip from skating all over on the surface.
  • Don't allow the bit to wobble around as you drill. This will put sideways pressure on the bit, and especially with a small bit can cause breakage really quickly.
  • Start with a very small pilot hole, and then gradually increase the bit size until you get the hole to the right size for the pin.
  • Don't press hard; let the drill bit do the work. Only press hard enough to get the bit to start cutting the metal.
  • Drill very slowly. I've never had good luck with a Dremel for drilling miniatures: I always use a pin vise. They're slow but very controllable.
  • Clear the debris out of the hole regularly (every few millimeters) and make sure the metal isn't building up in the drill bit. A clogged drill hole or bit is more likely to jam and break.
  • Make sure you lubricate the drill bits. I use a light machine oil called 3-in-1 (don't know if you have that brand available), but any light machine oil will work about as well. WD-40 isn't really intended as a lubricant, but it can work, as can ordinary car oil. This reduces the chance of the drill binding in the hole, allows the removal of metal cuttings more easily, and helps the cutting as well. (Make sure to wash the mini after drilling and before pinning.)

If you have patience (and this isn't some sort of sculpted tungsten carbide), you should be able to manage pretty well.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Question 25th June

What kind of mini ( Style, Race, Faction) do you miss? 

As in, not enough choice, isn't produced at all or too few.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question 25th June

I could do with more women in sensible armor/clothing. I'd like to see more not-tieflings/not-aasimar suitable models ... with hooves! Or tails. Or both... (I don't have an objection to cheesecake/skyclad, it's just... you can't swing a catgirl without hitting like, a dozen examples...). 

More kinds of dragon! Not just standard Western dragons. More North American mythos creatures and characters. More angels and 'good' dragon types! My summons list is kind of thin here!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

FLUMPHS!

I knew you were going to say that! ::P:

• Haha 4

8 minutes ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

I don't flumph what you're flumphing about.

Don't you flumph with me young man!

I'll have you flumphed faster than you can say flumph if you keep this up!

Better get your flumph together!

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question 25th June

I'm going to go with... Minotaurs, gnolls, and werewolves.  Oh, and foxes / kitsune too. 

And otters.  One can never have too many otters. 

I want a 72mm fennec fox, because, uhm, reasons! (...although at 72mm to the eyes, we're getting dangerously close to 1:2 scale already....) 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question 25th June

One of my recurring dreams is to by fair means or foul, have the Mordheim figures brought back. If GW were to do so, and not make it some limited time frame thing, they'd start getting my money again. Also the Middenheimer unit from Storm of Chaos, and the Dogs of War regiments...really the whole style they had going on in the 80s-90s. Which was also prevailing with a lot of smaller companies as well during that era. But then that's when I got started in the hobby and so I'm always going to be somewhat locked in there mentally.

As far as factions go, I don't know if rednecks qualify, but I'd like to see more of them. I've already gotten ahold of the Reaper ones, and other then Westwind's Redneck Militia, I'm having to convert zombie survivor types. I've seen pics somewhere of a 28mm redneck on a riding lawnmower, but haven't had much luck in tracking it down. Granted a Lawnmower Calvary unit isn't something I imagine there's much demand for, at least until someone comes up with a hit ruleset/game of Rednecks vs Aliens. I know several actually exist, but it doesen't seem to have quite the grab that say the zombie genre did. On a related note, it seems almost impossible in any scale to find mid to late 70s pickups, which is odd considering how many of them are still on the road. (One of my eventual projects is to convert a 1/25 Revell '78 GMC Big Game Country Pickup into something resembling closer the '77 Silverado a buddy of mine had in high school we refered to as the "Boweemith", but I'd much prefer to have something that plays well with 28-30mm)

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1