Glitterwolf

Getting to Know You JUNE 2019, brought to you by WOOF.

5 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Sculpting a flumph is not the issue.  Sculpting it so that it looks good and yet has fewer than 3 to 4 parts is the issue. We'll see; I have a lot on the plate right now.

Exactly. Of course, you could sculpt one & beautifully, I am sure. That doesn't mean you should do so. It doesn't look like something deserving your attention...might be fun though. Plus, making it reproducible would be a horror story.

I am not up to your standard of sculpting & never will be.  The things I sculpt are simple pieces that I make personable AND they are all one off creations. A Flumph is more my type of mini than yours. It certain falls in my level of silliness...I am playing around with the dangly thingies.

• Like 9

3 hours ago, Kuroneko said:

Also @ManvsMini, if you love the old Rackham range I cannot recommend Age of Signum enough. The minis are gorgeous and really high quality. Apparently they have a dragon themed kickstarter comming soon... 

I do love the old Rackham range, so I will have to check out some of what you recommend. While Reaper were the first minis I ever bought, Rackham's were the ones that made me want to learn to really paint at an advanced level.

I am not disappointed one bit that it's the Cynwall Dragon, that mini is gorgeous. Very envious of you, but determined to help you get him put together! Rather than take up space in this thread, I'll PM you some other questions I have regarding the state he is currently in (like how much/deep has actually managed to be drilled) and we can go through the options there. A PM will also let you not have to keep searching for this thread/message to reply to, so you don't need to feel rushed to go dig him out. Can just reply when you finally dig him up, whenever that may be. :winkthumbs:

• Like 4

9 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Sculpting a flumph is not the issue.  Sculpting it so that it looks good and yet has fewer than 3 to 4 parts is the issue. We'll see; I have a lot on the plate right now.

I was picturing an assembly in my head that was 16 parts. :ph34r: Bit of an expert level cast metal model kit. :ph34r:

@Pezler the Polychromatic  ...so do Flumphs have a regulation number of long tentacles or is it a random number..?  Also, does it have a distinct set of short, downward spikes? In addition to the tentacles?

• Like 5

I'm gonna have to look for a jellyfish at Hobby Lobby tomorrow to make a Flumph.

And I don't even play D&D or Pathfinder!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, TGP said:

I was picturing an assembly in my head that was 16 parts. :ph34r: Bit of an expert level cast metal model kit. :ph34r:

@Pezler the Polychromatic  ...so do Flumphs have a regulation number of long tentacles or is it a random number..?  Also, does it have a distinct set of short, downward spikes? In addition to the tentacles?

Yes, they have spikes clustered around the center and a not-specific amount of tentacles. Dragon Magazine #246 has the Ecology of the Flumph, if you want to research it. Though I do see that their backstory has somewhat changed over the editions.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Question 26th June

What is your method for creating water/swamp/liquid/lava?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question 26th June

I don't really have one. 

So... *sits back, takes notes*

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question 26th June

Not a clue, but I'm tempted to try Luke's  (of Luke's APS) method, since I liked the look of the rivers in his most recent video.  And he also comments on how to do such usually efficiently, and for cheap. 

Eventually I'll try it, and I hope it isn't world ending. :p

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question 26th June

I paint on the reverse side of clear plastic. (This is more of a terrain makers technique.) (It has worked with swampy water, ice-crusted water, and cold water....But lava?)

<<< joins @Sylverthorne in the note taking seats >>>

Edited by TGP
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Question 26th June

I haven't attempted any of those yet, but I've been studying various youtube videos and forum threads on the subject for when that day comes.

(breaks out Reeses Cups and joins the note taking)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Flumphs

ddwmm-001.jpg

...exist. But the spikes ^ have been sacrificed for a flight stand. 

15 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Sculpting a flumph is not the issue.  Sculpting it so that it looks good and yet has fewer than 3 to 4 parts is the issue.

Likely there is a significant licensing issue... :ph34r: ..as well. 

2 hours ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

Yes, they have spikes clustered around the center and a not-specific amount of tentacles. Dragon Magazine #246 has the Ecology of the Flumph, if you want to research it. Though I do see that their backstory has somewhat changed over the editions.

There are more attempts out there besides the WoTC pre-painted. There is a guy selling one/offs on Etsy, there is at least one on Shapeways. 

• Like 7

Question 26th June

For water/swamp years ago GW came out with a water effects product that worked pretty well. It’s been holding up quite well too. A lot of GWs accessories are often just rebranded from another manufacturer, but I don’t know who that might be.

You can see an example of the water in the pic below.

A24DDF0B-F708-454A-810F-DA930AE3E1FE.thumb.png.070bf4dd05d8deb5b145ec463cb40705.png

For other liquid, like toxic sludge, I’d just use white glue mixed with an ink or paint depending on the effect wanted.

I’ve never done magma.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Question 26th June

I have been experimenting a bit with different products for different effects.

Still need to try out more.

Ppsssttt @vhaidra maybe you want to see this.

All of these can be coloured.

So far:

Vallejo Water Effects - ( a paste that dries up clear, do not apply too deep layers)

Used it for a sea/waves effect

http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/66228-54mm-maria-roseblade-pirate-queen-by-xherman1964/?hl=roseblade

Used for slime on the tentacles

http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/73384-the-elder-god-escapes-his-container-by-xherman1964/

Used for a river

https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/78504-ebonwrath-the-fairy-dragon-by-glitterwolf-d20-rainbow-dragon-challenge/&tab=comments#comment-1666912

Vallejo Still Water - ( Liquid, dropperbottle, use for small layers, can be used in a few layers)

Used for swamp effect

https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/60446-swamp-based-undead-cyclops-grenadier/&hl=swamp

Used for a larger murky river

https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/84675-welcome-to-the-jungle-by-glitterwolf/

Used for a pond

http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/60450-dark-sword-frog-pond/?hl=pond

Greenstuffworld UV resin Gel ( Gel in a bottle, dries under direct sunlight/UV flashlight, can be used for both shallow and deep water)

Used for a coastal water scene ( I even used this in a silicon mold to create the two blue fish you see in this one)

https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/86584-03884-komodo-dragon-by-glitterwolf/

AK Interactive Two Part Resin ( to be used for deep pours)

Still need to test this one!

How to video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEvzvNwRlQI

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

@TaleSpinner maybe like this:

IMG_2452.thumb.JPG.1779b2662e0283c7f62867d9360837a6.JPG

Where the red bits are wells in the flumph body and you can insert the bits with the tentacle/spike bits into them? 

Please excuse the crudeness of my little drawing.

2 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question 26th June

I have some resin water effects that I use occasionally. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1