Glitterwolf

Getting to Know You JUNE 2019, brought to you by WOOF.

Nice blue pond, upper right quadrant:

sle_golf_aerial_675x665.jpg

I think what most people wind up building for their games table looks like a golf course. Viewed from the air. 

My opinion is look at lots of aerial views of golf course ponds to decide what color to make a terrain pond. 

%231_Air.JPG

This one is more muckle/ish like Doug ^ was saying. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question 26th June

What is your method for creating water/swamp/liquid/lava?

I have experimented with water resins a few times, but I can't say I have a technique.

Nothing I have tried so far has really worked as well as I'd hoped.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question 26th June

Water

Luke Towan, as previously mentioned and linked, is an excellent resource.

I also like this tutorial for water with waves from an inactive youtuber called TerrainWench. The water portion of that video would be where I would start for a swamp (tinting of the water resin to a swampy color).

Swamp

See the bit above. Also will say that bristles from old/cheap toothbrushes make fantastic reeds if you don't mind painting them.

Lava

Not a lot of experience with this, but I don't use water effects/resin. I use plaster, and after applying, while it is drying, I press in something round to make random shallow indentations to show where bubbles of lava have popped. Once it is set, I'll make balls of varying sizes with green stuff, cure them, cut in half, and glue them on to have bubbles that are forming (unused mixed green stuff from any previous sculpting is always made into a ball so I have a stockpile). Never tried it, but you might be able to use the water waves method from TerrainWench to shape/make a bubble of lava that is in the midst of bursting.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, TGP said:

Flumphs

ddwmm-001.jpg

...exist. But the spikes ^ have been sacrificed for a flight stand. 

Likely there is a significant licensing issue... :ph34r: ..as well. 

There are more attempts out there besides the WoTC pre-painted. There is a guy selling one/offs on Etsy, there is at least one on Shapeways. 

4 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Avoidance

I'm not so sure, but given that flumphs are also in Pathfinder, they are likely in the Open Source portion of the SRD.

Very well done.  It is right in line with what I was considering. Would have to put more tentacle and have them cross for proper metal/plastic flow though.  All that said, I am slammed right now, so... <shrug>

Indeed, flumphs are in the OGL (hence why the third-party Tome of Horrors was able to print them). Not sure how the OGL translates with making sculpted minis, may require some research on it. I do remain hopeful that flumphs and flumph adventurers will become a reality in the near future.

Edited by Pezler the Polychromatic
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, Loim said:

I also love Luke's videos. The man has some skills. 

I watch his videos and usually learn something but if I'm honest with myself there is very little chance I'll ever come close to making anything that nice. Lukes APS, Black Magic Craft and the Terrain Tutor are closer to what I'll make.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

Indeed, flumphs are in the OGL (hence why the third-party Tome of Horrors was able to print them). Not sure how the OGL translates with making sculpted minis, may require some research on it. I do remain hopeful that flumphs and flumph adventurers will become a reality in the near future.

Well, I'm just going to leave this here.  Totally homebrew but.... https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Flumph_(5e_Race)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question 26th June

Like many others, I don't have one. Taking notes as well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

2 hours ago, Cygnwulf said:

Well, I'm just going to leave this here.  Totally homebrew but.... https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Flumph_(5e_Race)

So which is the canonical location of the mouth?  Edge of disk -or- upper surface between Eyestalks?

Presumably its only function is vocalization?  or does it ingest Air for propulsion?

Edited by TGP
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/25/2019 at 1:14 AM, Glitterwolf said:

Question 25th June

What kind of mini ( Style, Race, Faction) do you miss? 

As in, not enough choice, isn't produced at all or too few.

As someone who started painting this decade I don't really have a nostalgia for anything produced back in the day. Since I'm not really gaming I also don't need dwarf spearman #5, so choice isn't much of a concern either.  Instead I'll say that there are too few limited edition minis produced.  In the literal sense.  Support your local recaster!

15 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question 26th June

I don't really have a method, I just apply commercial stuff.  I think this was a few layers of the woodland scenic water.

post-13211-0-90502800-1415481470_thumb.jpgpost-13211-0-17650600-1415481474_thumb.jpg

and this was Vallejo IIRC.  The ground was painted and then I poured colored water in on top.

5ae25c2e1f219_MarshTroll5.thumb.jpg.c9739e3553abdf7d9ad34a245d2669aa.jpg5ae25c31ad482_MarshTroll6.thumb.jpg.858099e4ef8c3776281719235e9d3208.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Question June 27th.

What do you use for Snow/Desert Sand/Cracked Earth?

• Like 3

8 hours ago, TGP said:

So which is the canonical location of the mouth?  Edge of disk -or- upper surface between Eyestalks?

Presumably its only function is vocalization?  or does it ingest Air for propulsion?

The mouth is for vocalization and is generally placed near the eyestalks, earlier illustrations showed small holes around the circumference that they used to expel their stench spray, though later drawings omit them. It should be noted that the length of their tentacles are slightly longer than the circumference of their bodies, so that they can reach all parts of themselves.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question June 27th.

No idea since I don't use snow... Yet... 

Desert sand is, uhm... Sand...   Or ultra fine railroad... Stuff. Forgot what it's called, and I threw the packaging out 15 years ago. 

Cracked earth?  Haven't done yet, but I definitely want to try out a few different crackle pastes... 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question June 27th.

Snow... baking soda, glue, a little blue-white paint. I have some stuff that is intended to /do/ snow... but I'm not exactly thrilled with it. It smells, just for a start....

Some of it I can run a suitable wash over for 'desert'. If I dust a little bit of an appropriate sand over it, it works better.

Cracked earth.. I got nothin'.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question June 27th.

Snow: I have used Woodland Scenics Snow for snow. 

Desert Sand: Rustoleum Brand spray stone texture paint. In a tan / khaki color. (Any color would work for the texture; just paint it later.)

Cracked Earth: Cracked Ice pattern polystyrene plastic which is a light fixture diffusion plastic. 

Edited by TGP
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1