Glitterwolf

Getting to Know You JUNE 2019, brought to you by WOOF.

7 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question June 27th.

What do you use for Snow/Desert Sand/Cracked Earth?

Snow is tricky. In my (admittedly limited), commercial snow flocks tend to be too course to look really good as snow. I have done OK mixing them with water gel to create slush, but it could still use work.

I have tried baking soda, but, in my experience, it doesn't hold up well after a few months. It changes color as it ages, and I have also had trouble with it coming unglued in the past.

I have been trying to work up the courage to experiment with Secret Weapon crushed glass for ice/snow, but the stuff is seriously hazardous if not handled properly, so I haven't done it yet. If nothing else, I need a more contained hobby area, where I can easily do a thorough cleanup.

For desert sand, I tend to use very fine basing grit (balast), but that is for a more rocky/dry desert, rather than flowing dunes. I'm not sure how I would approach dunes, but probably something like Sculpey and some kind of texturing technique. Desert sand can be incredibly fine, and might look fine as a fairly smooth surface at miniatures scale.

Cracked Earth? I dunno, crackle paint?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question June 27th.

Don't do much snow as I'm still trying to make a ton of semi arid and summer forest terrain. I've used a bit of baking soda and glue when I tried it. I live on a few thousand acres of sand and have about 5-6 grades and colours of it within a couple hundred yards of my farm house. So for deserts and other bare ground it's 90+% sand from home. Lots of time I don't even paint it but for desert bases I will sometimes dry brush a brighter shade of tan or orangish yellow on it. Swamp or wetter ground gets a darker wash. Never tried cracked earth.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question June 27th.

For snow I've been using this white plasticky stuff I got in the basing BOGW. Not sure what it is but gives that shiny icy/snow look. Haven't attempted the other two.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

For snow and fine sand, I use baking soda and glue.  Mix with glue to make a kind of paste then smush it into the shape I want.  Or sprinkle over glue on top of green stuff. Either way, because the soda will discolor, I always paint it afterward.  for white 'pure' snow a couple of washes of bluish grey followed by a few drybrushes up to almost white.  Looks ok but the color comes out lacking for good looking snow so I'm going to probably be on the lookout for a new method.

for cracked earth, well, the only time I've done it I had precast resin bases so... yeah....

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

WEEKEND QUESTION June 28th - June 30th.

We give and receive advice about the hobby, what advice was a real eyeopener to you?

BONUS: Share a piece of advice of your own.

This is my final question for the month June.

Thank you all for participating!

Next Quisitor for July - @Werkrobotwerk good luck!

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 4

28 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

We give and receive advice about the hobby, what advice was a real eyeopener to you?

In all honesty, the piece of advice that was most useful to me did not come from painting miniatures; to judge my work on its own merits, and not worry about whether anyone else's was better. That is really, REALLY hard advice to take, you betcha.

I have two pieces of advice to give others. 

First one doesn't really have anything to do with hobbying; its more general; learn to take criticism. Nothing else will do you more good in life.  I had to learn that one the hard way, and ... yah, that one's hard. 

The other is from hours of watching Bob Ross; there are no mistakes, only happy accidents.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Probably the biggest piece of advice I was given was... Shades and washes aren't cheating they're just useful tools. 

As for advice that comes to mind... 

- don't use an xacto knife or any kind of cutting implement when tired.  Doubly so if you cut towards yourself, and no, that usual superglue "barrier" you wind up having on your thumb doesn't allow you to ignore such, and doesn't provide anywhere near the protection you think it does.  Can't count how many times I've done cutting with a blade when tired and wound up with some decently deep cuts in my thumb.  Nothing traumatic or ER trip, but still.  I've had a few near misses from such, and I learnt my lesson.  I hope. 

- Vallejo terrain paste on top of cork works wonders for doing a number of things... Especially basing. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Don't judge your work by looking at what others have done (especially pros). Judge it based on your past work. I'm pretty sure @CashWiley said that most recently in the very thread, but it's been a common theme on these forums since I joined. 

The most important piece of advice I can give is to relax and have fun. This is supposed to be fun, right? So if slinging paint around wildly is what makes it fun, do that. If pushing your limits and learning more is fun, do that. You do you. 

2 hours ago, Sylverthorne said:

The other is from hours of watching Bob Ross; there are no mistakes, only happy accidents.

Also this. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Biggest thing I learned was just do it.  (not endorsed by Nike ^_^)   You can read/watch/listen to tips, suggestions and such all day long, but until you pick up your brush/modeling compound/material or tool X, you're never going to figure stuff out or improve.  

And when you do try it yourself, come post it here on these forums where you will get lots encouragement, which we all need, and lots of well-intention-ed feedback and criticism.   

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Thin your paints.....

And then thin them a bit more.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Rome wasn't built in a day; every painter whose work you admire put in hours of practice and hundreds of minis to build the skill needed to produce those eye-popping miniatures you love so much. Have patience.

If your goal is to advance your painting skill to higher quality, don't strip those minis you have painted. Keep them so you can see how your progress is coming with each piece. Buy a few copies of the same sculpt, and paint one each year to see how you have improved.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Don't try to be a better painter, that's too nebulous.  Instead, pick one aspect of painting and work on that.  Seek advice from people who are good at it, and work on it until you have it down.  Then move on to something else. Make sure that the thing is something you can do incrementally from where you are.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3

The best advice I ever got, ever, and I've gotten some tremendously great advice was "Just have fun."  Seriously, if we aren't having fun what are we even doing?

Some of my advice that I give? No one starts out great. It's ok to not paint to professional level, especially at first, and don't worry about it, if you mess something up you can fix it. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Same prompt, really. Almost everything I know came from someone.

• Knowing how to do something is not the same as being able to do something. Watching videos and taking classes are both great things, but it's only actual practice that leads to mastery.
  • Cheap brushes are more expensive and more painful to use than good brushes. (I didn't believe this for years, but then I tend toward WIS as a dump stat.)
  • Life is too short to paint minis "for practice" so you can get good enough for the minis you really want to paint. Paint the minis that you love right now; you'll never run out.
  • There is no one true way to paint. If what you're doing works, then you're doing it right. Corollary: If it doesn't work for you, try a different way, even if you think the person you learned from is the most brilliant artist in the world. (Maybe that technique will work when your skills are at a different level.)
  • We do this for fun. If you're not having fun, make changes until the fun starts again.
  • There are things that you can't even see, much less do, until your skills advance to a certain level. If you ask for advice and it makes no sense, you might be running into that barrier.
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 3

6 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

A couple pieces of advice have made things slightly more enjoyable or made my painting better. 

The first is to just enjoy what you're doing. Don't worry about comparing your work to anyone else. As long as you're having fun then you're doing it right. And secondly, my wife told me to use less brown. 

I guess if I have to give some advice of my own I'd say paint things that make you smile. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2