Rob Dean

40mm French Revolutionary Wars British

I went up to Portland, Maine a couple of weeks ago for a historical miniatures gaming convention, and found, when the dust settled, that I was pledging to expand an existing French Revolutionary Wars project from a skirmish game into a battle game for next year.  Details are in my blog.

I am using home cast figures from multiple part German molds.  After a solid casting session last week, I have a good stock of parts, so I settled in on Friday to see what I could do to build a unit of these 1792/3 British:

IMG_3621.thumb.JPG.00acfabbc5f8cad9326a101b88e0a4cb.JPG

I started off on Friday morning with parts, super glue, files, and an X-acto knife, and things were moving right along.

58099761857__0C2684FB-3C24-4CAE-924E-0174C48409F8.thumb.JPG.64a187a7615537844cf7072d8fc453ca.JPG

Despite having other things to do, by Friday night my 12-man unit was assembled.

IMG_3617.thumb.JPG.36f56cc2cd6199494cca3d56d2b15ffe.JPG

I sprayed everything with black primer yesterday morning, and started in around lunch time.  By 3:00 or so, I had the main colors roughed in on all of them.

58111594341__B7370485-077F-4137-A1D4-36F18B767388.thumb.JPG.dd941f476c6dced79a347b6256cad83b.JPG

At that point, I wanted to see what they were going to look like when finished, so I took one figure from the group and lined the color separations, detailed the face, and did the various buttons and lace. 

IMG_3618.thumb.jpg.3d2c5133814b098904be729c2932f2f0.jpg

IMG_3619.thumb.jpg.2fe0b439181b30c686edc6db8d31c4af.jpg

My past experience with these figures is that the easiest way for me to get them done is to paint them in assembly line fashion until I reach a point where I have to turn a single figure around to deal with the lining and face, etc., after which it's faster to take them to completion one at a time.  Since the last time I did a group of these, I've taken to using a wet palette, which looks like it will make that process easier, since the five or six colors of paint needed for the completion will all stay usable between figures.

For a unit like this, small irregularities are not going to show on the table, but I wish that I had picked a different figures to finish for the initial pictures.  i was well into this before I noted that the glue used to attach his head had left some roughness on the face, so he looks like a smallpox survivor.  En masse, though, it shouldn't draw the eye.

Now, on with the other 11...

• Like 14

This has potential. The costumes of the period go from raggedy to stunning. Have FUN with it all!

By the way, it looks like you have some grit in your flesh paint.

• Like 3

Looks good!

Having a soldier who survived the smallpox is not so strange actually.

So I wouldn't bother especially since it is a member of a unit.

• Like 2

Yesterday turned out to be less productive than I had hoped...but now I’m up to 3:

417076D7-66F9-478A-B69E-A41913E951DA.thumb.jpeg.ac812ab9fe848b1a65c2dec4e48e2581.jpeg

• Like 10

I managed to do the lining and final face work on one at lunch yesterday, and two today, so I’m up to six (of twelve) waiting for basing. With any luck, should finish up the unit with the basing this weekend, and start on the next...

Yesterday:

85D9B486-FAB2-414A-89BC-925B9204CBC8.thumb.jpeg.51de7eeefe16d454293f9dd1d04a7bba.jpeg

Today:

FC28AC8E-2EE9-4C9B-9EB5-66457BF49EEC.thumb.jpeg.074bdecc6e08d86e7619f49ba69cb551.jpeg

• Like 6

So, with the nine troopers done, I got to work this morning finishing off the three command figures.  I did a little quick research and discovered that the 37th Foot, my basic model for this unit, had a special flag showing the Minden Roses, a distinction granted after the Battle of Minden in the Seven Years War.  At least I know what it looks like...

So here are the fifer and the officer:

2D22F324-90D5-43ED-8993-DB775B233877.thumb.jpeg.21afdb57349eadccceb6b94bd5075c1d.jpeg

03A10086-96F7-4E4F-834F-26A6BD268CA9.thumb.jpeg.3063d8a7f072c60e00fdc3963ca3915b.jpeg

Happily for me, I’m going for an “enhanced toy soldier” style on these; museum diorama style painting on Napoleonics is beyond my current capacity...

• Like 4