Sign in to follow this  
Chris Palmer

What are the "Required Viewing" Fantasy Movies?

1 hour ago, ManvsMini said:

As for Labyrinth... some people clearly need some Magic Dance. David Bowie's character is the entire reason why I bought 100+ goblins and a mini to convert into the Goblin King eight years ago.

I'm about a Mick Jagger cameo and a Don Johnson suit away from a cocaine overdose right now. :wacko:

• Haha 5

So this is gonna sound wierd, but bear with me...The Fast and Furious movies (from 5 on). Batcrap over the top action that sounds like it was concieved by a Ritalin sniffing 12 year old. The characters fall into fantasy archetype tropes and they function like an adventuring party.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

...while I could agree about Record of Lodoss War (which I understand was actually inspired by D&D) and Slayers, I really don't know that I'd call any of the Fast and the Furious movies "fantasy" in the sense that I thought was meant here...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Somehow, it seems as the budget got smaller, the movies got better.

Someone clearly fell into and never escaped the Swamp of Sadness.

As for Labyrinth... some people clearly need some Magic Dance. David Bowie's character is the entire reason why I bought 100+ goblins and a mini to convert into the Goblin King eight years ago.

The first D&D movie is exquisite if you imagine the cast of Scrubs playing a D&D campaign. No... really. It all makes sense if so. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

• LOTR Trilogy
  • Dark Crystal
  • Labyrinth
  • Solomon Kane ( yes @Marvin I agree, I have it on DVD)
  • Willow
  • Neverending Story
  • Stardust
  • The Harry Potter Movies
  • The Jurassic Park movies
  • Bram Stoker's Dracula
  • King Kong
  • Godzilla
  • Sleepy Hollow
  • Corpse Bride
  • Pirates of the Carribean Movies
Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 4

And to put it in it's proper place Star Wars.

I will add animated LOTR part 2. to the animated and live action LOTR and Hobbit.

• Like 2

After looking at all the comments, I'm slowly realizing that for many of us, there are many fantasy movies that belong in both the best *and* worst list.

Some movies' production values have aged very badly. You can basically tell in which decade theye but were made in, but were in line with everything else of the same era.

• Like 6

On 6/2/2019 at 5:49 AM, Chris Palmer said:

In the discussion thread on the Dark Crystal Prequel series coming to Netflix (See here) some folks said that the original Dark Crystal and  also the movie Labyrinth, were movies that hadn't seen but thought they should see.  This got me thinking about what would be the on the list of Fantasy movies that you would expect a majority of your gaming/figure painting/fantasy enthusiast friends to have seen, perhaps quote from, and generally refer to in conversation, with an expectation that most of the folks around them would have also seen?

So other than Dark Crystal and Labyrinth, what else?

Lord of the Rings trilogy?

Princess Bride?

The Gamers: Dorkness Rising?

..to name a few of the top of my head... so what would others be? 

I have started a sister thread for "Required Viewing" Sci-Fi movies here: https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/86597-what-are-the-required-viewing-sci-fi-movies/

Never seen Gamers, but like your other choices.

On 6/2/2019 at 6:18 AM, Crowley said:

Willow

Legend

Conan

Definitely Conan, not a big fan of the other two::D:

On 6/2/2019 at 6:19 AM, Corsair said:

I would include the Mummy series with Brandon Frazier and the Neverending Story.

I consider mummy more along Horror, my kids love neverending story.

On 6/2/2019 at 6:33 AM, Sanael said:

In no particular order:

King Kong (1933)

Tremors (just the first one is "required" viewing, but the rest are pretty great B movie absurdities)

Conan The Barbarian (1982)

The Princess Bride

The Clash of the Titans (1981)

The Neverending Story

Willow

Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark (and the others, even the one with the aliens, and even the Young Indy TV series, but really Raiders is the big one)

Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Pirates of the Caribbean: the Curse of the Black Pearl

Troy

The Thirteenth Warrior

... That's what I have off the top of my head. There are a bunch more that if suggest to someone thinking about DMing, but these are things I'd expect to crop up in conversation with my friends, and they're things that are great inspiration of you want to know what this D&D thing is all about.

Great list here, but again King Kong and tremors I would consider maybe horror (or for King Kong, Kaiju like Gojira!)

On 6/2/2019 at 6:36 AM, alchemist said:

I would add Excalibur.

YES! My first Medieval Movie I remember seeing!

On 6/2/2019 at 8:23 AM, Xiwo Xerase said:

Off the top of my head, my list is:

The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938; swashbuckling reference -- technically not fantasy so much as historical fiction)

Clash of the Titans (1981; adaptation of Greek mythology)

Conan the Barbarian (1982; barbarian stereotype)

Conan the Destroyer (1984; what a D&D campaign could look like as a movie -- alternatively, replace with the Record of Lodoss War OAV series)

The Dark Crystal (1982; what an alien world could look like)

The Golden Voyage of Sinbad (1973; a good example of a sneaky magical villain -- alternatively, replace with the computer game King's Quest 6 or even Aladdin (1992))

Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind (1984; mostly fantasy in a postapocalyptic world)

The Princess Bride (grudgingly) (1987; another swashbuckling reference, also very quotable)

Spirited Away (2001; adaptation of Japanese mythology elements)

I'm sure I've forgotten some.

(And just because they were formative to me doesn't mean they're "required".)

Another great list, but makes me think we need another sub thread (Japanese Anime)with mentions of Miyazaki movies throughout this thread, heck we could build a whole thread alone on JUST Miyazaki movies::o:

On 6/2/2019 at 9:00 AM, Doug Sundseth said:

And the animated version of Lord of the Rings (pt. 1) and The Sword and the Sorcerer. Or you could just hit yourself in the head with a hammer repeatedly until the sense gets in.  :poke:

But I will mention Ladyhawke, which is quite good.

please NOT Ladyhawke:blink: But Sword and the sorcerer,  I LOVED that sword! and Richard Lynch, the 80's were his time!

On 6/2/2019 at 9:25 AM, Kuroneko said:

I'm the oddity that hasn't seen The Dark Crystal or Labyrinth. Unfortunately, neither are available on Netflix UK ::(:

I'd second Spirited Away and add Princess Mononoke, Howls Moving Castle and My Neighbour Totoro. 

Since I'm going for animated features, How to Train Your Dragon is also fantastic.

See, we need a Miyazaki thread (Did I ever mention that Japanese Anime was my full time job for about five years haha)

On 6/2/2019 at 12:26 PM, Cyradis said:

I am a shameless fan of the Dungeons & Dragons movies. They're awful, but I love them. 

Stardust and Ladyhawke are both fantasy that are good however, and they're my top favorite movies. 

Oh Man, stardust was awesome! Robert DeNiro was great!

On 6/2/2019 at 6:44 PM, Generic Fighter said:

Okay, I've got a few bits of Fantasy media I recommend highly.

--The Slayers Anime series. 4 seasons of over the top super high fantasy. Plot is basically someone's D&D campaign and does a pretty good balance of serious and humor. Also, parody of common fantasy tropes too.

--Record of Lodoss War. The classic originator of Anime fantasy shows/movies. Still pretty good too.

--Dragon Quest 5: The Hand of the Heavenly Bride. The best of the classic video game series and soon to be adapted into an anime movie. Plot follows a man through his entire life, from traveling with his dad as a kid on a search for the Legendary Hero, to adulthood, marraige and raising his kids, one of which is the Legendary Hero that his dad was searching for! The rest of the series has some really good stuff to mine for plots but this one is the best whole package together by far!

--Harry Potter. A must read(Don't touch the movies with a ten foot broomstick) especially if doing a modern fantasy or a school based campaign. I ran a D&D4E campaign that was heavily influenced by it because a podcaster said Harry Potter didn't belong in D&D just to spite him! That game is at level 30 and will soon be coming to an end.

--The Persona Series. These video games are also a must play if doing a modern fantasy or sci-fi game or/and any school based game. The combo of Serious plot stuff and teenagers being teenagers doing normal, ordinary teenager things is just about perfect. Especially good for mining downtime or between adventures ideas. I recommend eithet Persona 4 Golden for the PSVita/PSTV or Persona 5 for PS3/PS4 to start with.

GF

See, more anime:) If we are throwing video games in here, what about The legend of Mana series and the first seven Final Fantasy games???

• Like 4

Many people would put The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen in the SF list.

Personally, I think it has earned a legitimate place on both the SF and Fantasy lists.

A great list and I am surprised it took so long for somebody to mention the Harryhausen Classics.  These were a significant influence on early D&D.

GEM

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

Many people would put The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen in the SF list.

Personally, I think it has earned a legitimate place on both the SF and Fantasy lists.

A great list and I am surprised it took so long for somebody to mention the Harryhausen Classics.  These were a significant influence on early D&D.

GEM

Yes, I love LXG, especially because it has Sean Connery!

• Like 2

On 6/3/2019 at 7:07 AM, Cranky Dog said:

After looking at all the comments, I'm slowly realizing that for many of us, there are many fantasy movies that belong in both the best *and* worst list.

Some movies' production values have aged very badly. You can basically tell in which decade theye but were made in, but were in line with everything else of the same era.

You are, of course, correct. 

But I was goin' with "important" or "influential" as my guideline. "Good by today's standards," not so much. Bakshi's LOTR wasn't great even by the standards of the time, and I can't watch Thief Of Baghdad without laughing at the genie's Brooklyn acccent. Nevertheless, I'd call these films "important."

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Ratmaster2000 said:

Never seen Gamers, but like your other choices.

This is worth watching, The Gamers: Dorkness Rising. It's very low budget, didn't have a theatrical release, but if you like RPG culture, worth a watch. I watch it every year. I think you can even view it for free on Youtube.

The original Gamers... eh, no need to watch that.

• Like 4

Well if we are adding low budget (that's also subjective haha), I really like that series on youtube:

Damsels, Dice & Everything Nice

• Like 2

Vikingdom, if you can tolerate Dominic Purcell's lack of emotion for 2 hours.

1 hour ago, ManvsMini said:

This is worth watching, The Gamers: Dorkness Rising. It's very low budget, didn't have a theatrical release, but if you like RPG culture, worth a watch. I watch it every year. I think you can even view it for free on Youtube.

The original Gamers... eh, no need to watch that. 

I like the original Gamers.

Shadow Menace, on the other hand.....

• Like 2