Sign in to follow this  
Fencig

Name that mini (please), Winged Demon

bought this really cool Demon off ebay for 5 bucks, well  I think it's a Demon?  might be out of a Table top game ? 

Instant bragging rights to anyone who knows

1172506623_wingeddemon2.thumb.jpg.498a9c90c22083a52462c3cca0adfbbe.jpg

1566239524_wingeddemon.thumb.jpg.3719e62166649af66338817c0041a383.jpg

• Like 10

7 minutes ago, Fencig said:

bought this really cool Demon off ebay for 5 bucks, well  I think it's a Demon?  might be out of a Table top game ? 

Instant bragging rights to anyone who knows

1172506623_wingeddemon2.thumb.jpg.498a9c90c22083a52462c3cca0adfbbe.jpg

1566239524_wingeddemon.thumb.jpg.3719e62166649af66338817c0041a383.jpg

Balrog from Ral Partha.

Now out of production

Gerelateerde afbeelding

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1

That is not just a Balrog. It is RAL the name sake of Ral Partha. I have done a few in my misspent past.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, malefactus said:

That is not just a Balrog. It is RAL the name sake of Ral Partha. I have done a few in my misspent past.

Indeed, it says so on the boxart.

Awesome classic mini!

thanks for the replies, i did some searching and it looks like i really scored. I love the old RP stuff

Since we're on the subject, I've got my eye on this one, really, really like it. Anyone know how the scale is on this one? Way too small or acceptable? 

I searched high and low for a pic with another min in it and no luck Ral Partha 52-032

s-l400.jpg

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Fencig said:

thanks for the replies, i did some searching and it looks like i really scored. I love the old RP stuff

Since we're on the subject, I've got my eye on this one, really, really like it. Anyone know how the scale is on this one? Way too small or acceptable? 

I searched high and low for a pic with another min in it and no luck Ral Partha 52-032

s-l400.jpg

Depends on what you're looking for.

Is it for display?

Do you want to include them in an army?

If so? What army and from which manufacturer is the bulk of that army made of?

It's a wonderful sculpt, very cool.

These are more on the true 25/28mm scale side of things where the Reaper ones are more like 28/32mm Heroic style.

So this one would be smaller than the Bones IV Mammoth for example.

You can already see that this one is based on a standard cavalry base, so you can estimate it's size.

Will this elephant tower over Reaper/GW/Kings of War human sized troops? NO!

Is it a superb sculpt and would a unit of these look good?  YES!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Depends on what you're looking for.

Is it for display?

Do you want to include them in an army?

If so? What army and from which manufacturer is the bulk of that army made of?

It's a wonderful sculpt, very cool.

These are more on the true 25/28mm scale side of things where the Reaper ones are more like 28/32mm Heroic style.

So this one would be smaller than the Bones IV Mammoth for example.

You can already see that this one is based on a standard cavalry base, so you can estimate it's size.

no i don't really need it to fit any type of gameboard, but i saw some old RP Trolls in a bag once and they were really quite small.  I don't need the model to be any particualr size, but if the Ogre is Orc sized on a pygmy Elephant then it will just not look good in my collection

I don't know what a standard Cavalry base is, but to make it even more confusing, they show it on that rectangluar base but then list this base in the parts list for the model- 40mm square

97-053.jpg

i searched high and low here, surprised that no one has painted and shown off this mini yet?

• Like 1

That elephant is going to look fairly small - Ral Partha minis were true 25mm scale - Reaper minis are 28mm...

As I recall, that figure wasn't exactly huge to begin with. If that's a standard modern cavalry base, then the elephant is going to only be about 7 feet tall at the shoulder, and the ogre about the size of some of the Reaper Bones bugbears.

• Like 1

On 6/3/2019 at 3:23 AM, Glitterwolf said:

Balrog from Ral Partha.

Now out of production

I think he (or someone like him) is still available through Iron Wind Metals (10-412: Ral, Lord of the Fire Demons).

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Xiwo Xerase said:

I think he (or someone like him) is still available through Iron Wind Metals (10-412: Ral, Lord of the Fire Demons).

Ironwind Metals  is the successor of Ral Partha, they have many of the old sculpts in their range.

17 hours ago, Mad Jack said:

That elephant is going to look fairly small - Ral Partha minis were true 25mm scale - Reaper minis are 28mm...

As I recall, that figure wasn't exactly huge to begin with. If that's a standard modern cavalry base, then the elephant is going to only be about 7 feet tall at the shoulder, and the ogre about the size of some of the Reaper Bones bugbears.

thanks, that's what i was wanting to know. I actually got a reply back from the seller on ebay,  his add stated " Figure is about 1 3/4" to top of head " , i think he meant just the Ogre , his reply

That is an estimate to the top of the rider's head. The elephant is about 1 1/2" to top of head. Note this is a 25mm sculpt from 1979 and is smaller than modern "28-32mm" scale figures.

So i'm guessing a little over 2" for the whole model?  that's just  way too small and wouldn't fit in with my other stuff . For 15 bucks there are just too many Reaper mounted riders to choose from , even though none are riding Elephants.  AAMOF, i think i will post " Ogre riding Elephant Bones model" in the "figures you would like to see " thread :;):

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chaosscorpion said:

I hope this picture offers scale for you1268669108_ogreonelephantandbonesorc.thumb.jpg.a0ae417ee3545889e41410fa81a3751e.jpg

That would make a better giant in a 10mm/15mm army!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, chaosscorpion said:

I hope this picture offers scale for you

sure does, thank you.

Goes to show the limitations they had back then. Like glitter said this is really 10 to 15mm and i agree.   If it was even 25mm scale i suppose the elephant would weight 2 to 3 pounds though. So really something that is ideal for plastic. Or a Hybrid, plastic Oliphant w metal Ogre. But really best both in plastic

• Like 1

Over all I would say the scale for the ogre is close when you consider 25mm vs 32mm, but the elephant looks a little small.

Edited by chaosscorpion
  • Like 1