Sign in to follow this  
paintybeard

Artemis 2.0 By Kev White

8 hours ago, SamuraiJack said:

Can I introduce you to Jody siegel?  

Or Richard T Broadwater or Juan Solorzano (7 years later and Juan Solorzano has still not sent rewards to most of his backers while happily selling them off at conventions years ago). Those two really stand out to me as bad communicators.

Edited by Balgin Stondraeg

So, it seems, in some quarters, that KS is a consequenceless source for funding for whatever use.  KS is crystal clear that they assume no accountability for the performance of creators or for the use the backer's fees are put to.  Even if the same creator runs campaign after campaign and delivers ....  nothing.  I've noted that some non-performers have requested additional funds for, usually, postage.  The place to pay is some money backing site outside of KS.

As posted by others, one just has to learn which creators actually perform and which just keep taking the backers' money.  I'm learning.  The hard way.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

Seems like Kev White should stick to sculpting, then sell the sculpts to competent business folks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

On 6/23/2020 at 2:12 PM, Cyradis said:

Seems like Kev White should stick to sculpting, then sell the sculpts to competent business folks.

I find that a certain class of entrepreneurs -- the "Mom and Pops" and the garage kitters and the small brick and mortars-- are often characterized by their inability to separate their personal lives and events and issues and priorities from their role as profitable businesses.  These businesses are usually small, inefficient, poorly funded, and believe that a good excuse is almost as good as actually performing.  This is not to say that all Mom and Pops are run this way; but a significant fraction are.

We have a local Dairy Queen that has had one of its two freezers out for over two years ... because the family owners have decided not to spend the money to repair it.  The result is that they have about half the frozen product to sell that they had formerly -- which only adds pressure to their finances.  I no longer ask for ice cream sandwiches -- because their usual reply is, "We're sold out right now, maybe we'll have some in a couple of days."  I know, however, that they haven't made any ice cream sandwiches because they lack the space to store and display them.

We have a local family owned hobby shop that has two standard answers when one asks if they have a certain item in stock.  "We can order it for you and it ought to be here in 2 weeks" and "I think we'll have some in on Wednesday.  Can you come back then?"  Well, I can order it myself and have it in hand in less than a week  --- and save the drive, time, and gas and disappointment.    I know from experience that, if I order it through the shop, it will take about a month to show up .... if it shows up at all.

KS seems to have a number of these enterprises.  Several creators have updated their backers to tell them that the creator will take a break because the pressure of being increasingly late on their delivery is too much for them;  I would expect a competent business to let me know why they are late and what they are doing about it.  Recently, one family KS informed us that their dog had died and that the mourning would impact their deliveries.  Another creator is getting divorced and he took about five months off, pointing out that he just wasn't up to fulfilling his KS campaign until his head was in a better place -- but he had time to regularly post on his YouTube channel.  There have been many KS updates that are full of the intentions and plans and thoughts of the creator, but in which actual activity and progress are absent.

Another characteristic that I have seen is that KS creators are easily frustrated and angered when backers call them to account for their lack of progress.  Artemis is a prime example.  In addition, with Artemis, we've been told several times that the product is in the mail and, after a long period without delivery, be told that, for some reason (back to the good excuse is equivalent to actual delivery), it never actually was mailed..  Rather than cultivate and be responsive to backers, they seem to blame backers for holding them to account.

The point in the quote is excellent.  Artemis does not reflect basic business practices  ... and it is not alone.

Edited by Highlander
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 7/2/2019 at 6:36 AM, JoeGKushner said:

I like his sculpting but dude messed up one figure from the last KS and despite the repeated tellings of "yeah, we'll fix it", it hasn't been fixed so hard pass. Your customer service is your legacy for good and ill.

BTW to resolve this I put in another order when Hasselefree had a sale and sent them a screenshot of their e-mail telling me they were working on fixing it. Took way too long to resolve and I'd never back a kickstarter form him or the company again. Only stuff that's in the store. 

Looks more and more like the mailing that was announced to happen three weeks ago didn't.  Not the first time for this KS.  Creator seems to think that intending to mail out rewards is pretty much the same as actually mailing them.

• Haha 1

got a Kickstarter update.  nothing beyond "we're getting them in the mail".  I'll beleive it when I get a tracking number or it gets delivered.

What a horrendous few months.   Covid, respiratory infections, no physio for broken back  :(

Back online today and working through the inbox as fast as I can.  I have Luke helping me with packing the stock that has arrived from the caster and Meg is ready to jump in as needed lol

Royal Mail has assured me that overseas orders have minimal delays so if you are in USA or anywhere else outside of England then I thank you sincerely for your patience and your order will be shipped within the next few days.

Sally x

Kev and Sally are awesome, sorry you guys are delayed getting your toys during a global pandemic.

• Like 2

The Kickstarter was aiming for Dec 2019 delivery.  I'm ok with delays as long as we're in the loop.  Packing and shipping started back in January.  Sally's taken a fall as well.  So, between that and COVID-19, there are plenty of delays that are explainable.

The updates are welcome.  The one every 2-3mo though is troublesome.

The update before this was June 7 saying that all stock has been received from the caster.

Hasslefree are good people and have good products.  They mean well.  I think though they bite off more than they can chew sometimes.

• Like 1