Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
So when I unpacked this Big Boi in 2017 I thought he would look really cool without wings. but I'm it will be a lot of careful work to carve off the joins and resculpt him, I just don't think I'm ready. In February I did the scales for my verocthulu conversion, and thought "I could have done that better."
So this is better.
This Dragon will be the colors or earth. Burnt Umber base, and a hide scattered with Burnt Sienna, Tusk Ivory, and Leather Brown with ochre and NNM gold colors on the belly.
perhaps some cool gray or blue washes in the shadows. The scales will be individually shaded, and the hide below staying the color of brown liner, or umber in the well lit areas.
So far its been about 4 hrs of work in sculpting, cleaning, gluing and mold line removal.
it took 45 min just to cover him in brown liner. He is a really big dragon, and I have no idea how long this is going to take.
but im getting a little obesessed - I don't want to schedule a meeting or go grocery shopping, I want to add more paint...
this feels like how I ended up with a dragon named Insomnia - who was painted almost entirely between 10pm and 7 am. I kept waking up with new color ideas.
Or the DDS2 dragon who I spent 2-4 hours a day painting for a solid week, and another hour a night for the week after.
The last picture is my inspiration for the scale colors - the eyes will be much simpler than this.
Hello everyone, now that my Perils of the Underworld diorama is built, I'll post here the detailed steps of my paintings sessions. The Work in progress of the display base can be found HERE.
Let’s start the painting section with a hack to save time. When I paint a large surface, typically a terrain piece, I apply paint straight on the surface and spread it with a large brush. It’s way faster, since I don’t have to go back to the palette each time to reload the brush bristles. Here I’m using a #8 flat brush.
As a base coat for the display I used 09660 powderburn brown.
I filled the gaps and hard to reach areas with a #1 brush. At this step, I’m using old brushes as it doesn’t matter if the bristles are sharp or not.
I then applied a dry brush of 09028 muddy brown all over the base.
I dry brushed of 09028 muddy brown on the upper part of the 03602 stone lurker and started painting the bat as well. The bat is from the 02018, Familiar Pack I. I used the same colors on the bat's perch that those I used on the display base. I painted the bat body in 29843 solid black.
Next, I started layering the bat wings with military grey (this out of production color can be substituted by 09438 tempest grey).
Here’s the picture I referred to for the bat wing colors.
For the bat fur, I used 09059 aged bone and the fingers were painted with a mix of 29839 maroon red and 09059 aged bone.
Even if it will be impossible to see the back side of the bat when it would be attached to the display base, I painted it anyway.
17mm wingspan ready to take off. I applied a 29822 suntan flesh highlight on the stalactite, then a mix of 29822 suntan flesh and 09059 aged bone for the final highlights.
Here’s the back side completed with a final 29822 suntan flesh highlight.
Here you go, that’s it for today. Spread your wings and go explore the Underworld.
Good day everyone, I will share here my progression on a project I wish to do for a long time. I already know all the parts I'll be using for this diorama. Starting with the carefree 03082 Ingrid sculpted by Derek Schubert (I'm converting her as a svirfneblin prospector), accompanied by her faithful familiar the 14453 hunting cat sculpted by Sandra Garrity. They are taken as prey by a 03602 stone lurker sculpted by Kevin Williams. I will also add a 02018 bat from the familiar pack 1 hanging somewhere on the rock wall. I already worked on Ingrid. I removed the base and give her a pickaxe. I made her tool with a paperclip and a piece of scrap metal. This all-project idea started with the gemstone she’s holding in her left hand.
I have wanted to paint this one since I first saw it and it's probably the reason I bought the Dreadmere expansion. It was a really fun paint and during the entire process I imagined this pair slogging through the mire from small town to hamlet and even single dwellings bringing news and exchanging trade goods between people isolated by their environment. It's a lonely job, just him and his tortoise buy someone has to do it...
Hope you all enjoy it too.
Who's Online 12 Members, 0 Anonymous, 62 Guests (See full list)