Sign in to follow this  
tradyk

Argent Dragon Quality

7 minutes ago, TGP said:

My wings have those. I think it is a necessary part of the process. It’s where a vent detached. 

I think that's actually an ejector pin mark rather than a vent. Vents tend to either be proud of the surface or more ragged if they're depressed.

If I were to guess, I would say that the mold was a bit warmer than average when that wing was cast, the plastic wasn't quite as cooled as normal, and the ejector pin made a deeper than usual mark. Pretty easy to fix with putty, IMO.

• Like 2

TGP: Thanks for the comprehensive shot break down. From your pics, yeah, I'm convinced I've gotten a dud. One or two of these lines, I'd be cool with just patching them up, but having literally dozens of them on the model, as well as reduced levels of detail at various points on the model is just too much, especially for how much this guy cost.

The wings on mine also have the huge ports, as well as more of the 'wave' lines in a weird splotch pattern around each, a few centimetres from the port itself. One wing has it directly over the wing bone, and so would require cutting out all the port, then sculpting in the bone to match. If you look at it down the length of the bone, you can see the bone, the hole, then the bone on the other side of it. The flashing from the port doesnt even come up to the top of the bone that's in the middle of.  Doug, no, it's definitely a vent. There's a detacher pin circle on the outside of the wing as well. I'm typing this on the computer, I'll go take a picture with my phone in a minute. The big ones on the inside of the wings are definitely the vents.

I know everyone says 'just sculpt it up,' but I'm a crappy sculptor, I don't want to have to be doing that for something that should be one of my best display pieces. I'll definitely be sending an email to reaper's support.

• Like 3

20190606_000020.thumb.jpg.6de80e55a17b88735d698345b05b4411.jpg
This is the really badly positioned vent. It's basically made a big hole where there should be a noticeable bulge for one of the knuckle joints.

20190606_000028.thumb.jpg.51d1c4a6db133a81a77ff55ce3e8b1fb.jpg

This is the same vent, but a slightly different angle. The position in the light in this one means you can see the splash shaped crack a lot better, even if the vent itself is harder to make out.

20190606_000224.thumb.jpg.2bcf94601b67cb3c92c4348d1ffcb606.jpg

This is the vent on the other wing, a much better position for it. If the other one was in a similar position to this one, it'd be a lot easier to patch up.

20190606_000301.thumb.jpg.dd6204b08ef62be6a06fd3c96454a51f.jpg

This is the back of that same wing, and you can see one of the marks for an ejector pin. Much different to the vents on the underside of the wings.

I didn't include pictures of the wings in my OP because while these ports are (very) bad, they are just part of the manufacturing process, not a defect. There's only a few crevices on the wings, and they're shallow and very thin. On the tali, the crevices are almost as deep as the actual sculpt's detailing.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 4

It's a ejector pin mark. It's how they part is pushed out of the mold. Plastic styrene models have them all the time. Granted they are in a more inconspicuous area but still. As Doug said, it's easily fixed with putty or baking soda & superglue.

Various links in filling those (models but applies here as well)

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1CAIUCU_enUS633US633&q=ejector+pin+marks+scale+model&spell=1&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjn6NOV5dPiAhXCMn0KHYeuD4MQBQgtKAA&biw=1366&bih=697

http://cs.finescale.com/fsm/tools_techniques_and_reference_materials/f/13/t/3614.aspx

If the part is too badly damage, you can always nick the wing up. Argent could have some battle damage on him, hmmmmm (save for future inspiration).

• Like 2

Haldir, no, the ones in the centre of the underside of both wings are definitely vents, not pin marks. I included a picture of one of the pin marks from the outside of one of the wings for comparison. The big ugly ones on the undersides are definitely the vents. The real objection to their position is that one of them is directly on a bone protrusion, so you'd have to resculpt the bone to match, rather than simply smoothing it to match the membrane of the wing. It's nice to say 'yeah, that's easy to just sculpt up to hide,' but not everyone is good at sculpting. A bit of clean up, matching some gaps, sure. Sculpting a bone joint to match the rest of the mini? No way. If it had been a couple centimetres in any direction, it would've been in open wing, and much easier to deal with.

Bane, probably because the piece is so big, they went for a central position so they could fill it as quickly as possible, and to have the least amount of obstructions between the vent and any given point.

• Like 1

I took a couple videos to try and better show the issues I'm talking about on mine. It's a lot easier to see on video,  where you can see the perspective change and get a better idea of the  depth (or lack of) of the details. Excuse the focus coming and going, videoing isn't my thing. Also, ignore the sound, my son was watching sesame street.

https://youtu.be/BfepZZz3ZI0 This one is of the body, and you can really see the flattened look of some of his scales, especially on the flanks. The pattern of cracks in that area is a bit hard to pick up, since they're each relatively minor, but there's a lot of them, and they go back and forth over the area. Tried to move it around to get the light to catch them, but mixed success.
https://youtu.be/c_cfQpkfbr4 This is of the head. I'm not sure, but I think there should be more depth to the valleys between the scales of his eyebrows, also there's a very flat section on the back left of his neck.
https://youtu.be/2OWyn59cQkI This is the base, there's the one major crack behind where his front right foot goes. Overall, I don't think there's too much wrong with it, but included it for completion's sake. Though its possible the entire thing might be smoothed out a bit and I just don't have anything to judge it by, not sure.
https://youtu.be/Ch7_OHK6HtU This is the tail, has a lot of smoothed out areas, especially close to where the tail would meet the body, and lots of the little wave lines along most of the tail plates. Again, hard to pick up, but there's a few points where the lighting and focus match up and you can get a good look at them. At the end I'm trying to show a flat patch a few centimetres from the end of the tail.
https://youtu.be/E0fLodWcd64 The wings, mostly also included for completion's sake. The vents on both of them are pretty bad, but as I said in a previous post, that doesn't really bother me, it is just part of how they're made. I did try to get the light to pick up the 'splash' type pattern around them, but it's really minor compared to other bits of the model. Though yeah, the vent on his right wing really could've been put in a better position. At the end of the video, it looks straight down the... finger? and you can see how much of difference there is between the vent and the surrounding bone.

• Like 2

On 6/5/2019 at 2:07 AM, Gadgetman! said:

It should be possible to recreate the missing texture lines with a sharp tool, possibly a V-shaped engraving tool?

(I need to check the usual sites for metal engraving tools as they are smaller than woodworking tools)

Those swirls doesn't look good, but most should fill out easily when you GreenStuff the joins between body parts. 

Are there any on the wings?

Look for a Speedball cutter.  It’s used in stamp making.

987A5E4A-CC70-4634-8AFB-28806B411D52.jpeg

• Like 1

I know they're still in the aftermath of KS fulfillment, but it's now been three weeks and I haven't heard back from reaper support. Is that normal, or should I chase up?

I would try again.

I noticed a typo on someone else’s address:

it should read help@reapermini.com

NO pictures.

My message to Reaper was sent on May 30th, and my missing paints was shipped yesterday.   

Yeah, they're a bit behind on shipping out replacement parts and paints, but as long as you got the automated response when you sent your message to help@reapermini.com (and followed the suggestion in that response for additional info where applicable) you WILL get a resolution.   

• Like 2

I have received my replacement Djinni last week, like Gadgetman said, as long as you got a message.

Do contact them again if it takes longer then two weeks since you got the message to get a follow up.

They are pretty busy it seems, especially with the number of paint sets that went wrong and the miscasts of the Djinni's lamp.

• Like 1