Sign in to follow this  
tradyk

Argent Dragon Quality

Im in Australia, so just got my bones 4 pledge yesterday. Didnt go for a whole lot this time round, due to money and having too many unpainted minis as is. Only got the high rollers, rocky, and the Argent Dragon, to match my tia-not.

Most of my rockies and high rollers are still in their individual baggies, but dont look too bad, other than much more prominent ports that need to be cleaned up. My Argent Dragon however, I'm on the verge of refusing it as a misscast, but before I do I want to double check if this is normal and I'm over reacting, or if i really did get a dud.

Overall, it looks like the material wasnt hot enough when it was poured into the cast, there's visible 'wave' lines on all the pieces. Like it was cooling as it filled in the mould, and rather than filling the mould completely, the two waves met and left a seam. Most of them deep enough I can catch fingernails on them. Its on all the pieces, but the tail is especially bad, showing it on most of the tail plates on both the top and bottom of it. His back leg is also covered withtl the lines.

To be clear, Im not talking about the mould lines. Theyre noticably less than my previous bones minis, but they still stick *out*, while what im talking about are effectively cracks into the model. 

The other issue is a bit harder to pick up, but is actually more of the reason I'm considering refusing it. I think there's been significant detail loss, but I'm not entirely sure, because i dont know what a proper cast one should look like. There's a few places on the edges of the body and head pieces that look, to me, like the details aren't as fine as the rest of the cast. The depth of the scales, the definition between where one sort of scales transitions to another, like around the feet and ankles, that sort of thing. Its hard to get a good picture of, since it really needs the change of perspective to pick them out properly, though i could take a video of it. 

Overall, my impression is that this is no where near as good a model as my Maaldrakar, even though this dark grey bones is supposed to be better. 

Anyway, TL;DR: Am I overreacting, and these are normal issues I should just accept, or did I get a dud? Pics attached.

20190605_085139.jpg

20190605_084956.jpg

20190605_085139.jpg

20190605_092029.jpg

20190605_085113.jpg

20190605_092021.jpg

20190605_085056.jpg

20190605_085309.jpg

20190605_091941.jpg

20190605_091851.jpg

Also something I noticed, though i think this might be from the original sculpts, not a casting issue, the neckplates on the head piece have texture lines sculpted into them, but the matching plates on the body piece don't. Makes it very noticable that they're different pieces, and draws the eye to the seam line. 

20190605_095515.jpg

The tail of my Roc had those little swirly lines in it. I just filled them with some plastic putty and painted over them. 

The amount of them there are on this, especially the tail, itd be a lot more work filling them in than it wouldve been just cleaning up heavier mould lines.

If this is a normal aspect of their black line, its going to be a hard pass from me in future. Best guess, this would take me two or three times as long to get ready for painting as my maaldrakar took me, and that's ignoring the smoothed out details. If I sculpted over all of that, itd be a huge amount of work, completely defeating the point of the product line.

34 minutes ago, tradyk said:

The amount of them there are on this, especially the tail, itd be a lot more work filling them in than it wouldve been just cleaning up heavier mould lines.

If this is a normal aspect of their black line, its going to be a hard pass from me in future. Best guess, this would take me two or three times as long to get ready for painting as my maaldrakar took me, and that's ignoring the smoothed out details. If I sculpted over all of that, itd be a huge amount of work, completely defeating the point of the product line.

You can send a description of the issues you are having to helps@reapermini.com but DO NOT send photos.

• Like 1

I have an Argent. He needs to be unboxed. I will try to snap pix of the same parts from the same angles. Standby. 

I split your post up to interweave similar shots. 

My Argent Dragon however, I'm on the verge of refusing it as a misscast, but before I do I want to double check if this is normal and I'm over reacting, or if i really did get a dud.

Overall, it looks like the material wasnt hot enough when it was poured into the cast, there's visible 'wave' lines on all the pieces. Like it was cooling as it filled in the mould, and rather than filling the mould completely, the two waves met and left a seam. Most of them deep enough I can catch fingernails on them. Its on all the pieces, but the tail is especially bad, showing it on most of the tail plates on both the top and bottom of it. His back leg is also covered with the lines.

Not sure I am seeing the same wave lines?

Trying to make some comparable shots. 

20190605_084956.jpg

The rocky base. 

2CA3EFE7-DFE6-4719-B474-AE8C2396DDE8.thumb.jpeg.9d2d4645206d9a3221ffcd95b338aab5.jpeg

20190605_085139.jpg

The head. 

C5F3012E-3FD9-4028-8E63-23C5813FDC06.thumb.jpeg.923b01cce49b20a97804179751f6a18b.jpeg

20190605_092029.jpg

20190605_092021.jpg

Front torso area. 

2A4BB22F-3387-4A10-8E65-CB865125703C.thumb.jpeg.cd63f91908bcaffc711175e502868002.jpeg

20190605_091941.jpg

Starboard side. 

B26AB605-76DB-44B8-BFFC-887F04089D43.thumb.jpeg.6d183f5d9cbbcc80b2ea31eb1506e988.jpeg

I hope that helps. I will do another post with pix of the tail. Up close I am not seeing any issues with the :huh: tail piece. 

Hope this helps for a double check. 

Edited by TGP
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The grid in the pix I am posting is made of 25.4mm squares. The distance between the small white dots is 6.25mm. 

I included the head again since there was room for something and it was a chance to get more angles of it. 

845E1037-71DB-453B-9499-872F2DE101CE.thumb.jpeg.ce2236831e9bfbba9a0bddb5491b972d.jpeg

Tail /\ underside.   Tail  \/ topside.

159AB0F7-8A8F-429D-A073-4CB609EA7900.thumb.jpeg.ed6a2c6c9a72c2709bc96386730fd9ce.jpeg

The tail I got looks OK to me. 

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, tradyk said:

Also something I noticed, though i think this might be from the original sculpts, not a casting issue, the neckplates on the head piece have texture lines sculpted into them, but the matching plates on the body piece don't. Makes it very noticable that they're different pieces, and draws the eye to the seam line. 

Yeah, Gene wasn't very happy about that, either.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

1 minute ago, Doug Sundseth said:

Yeah, Gene wasn't very happy about that, either.

Was it something he overlooked or something that was done to the sculpt after he submitted it?

44 minutes ago, Darsc Zacal said:

Was it something he overlooked or something that was done to the sculpt after he submitted it?

From what I understand, the texture was sculpted on all the scales. My suspicion is that the wrong file was sent to China.

FWIW, I don't think it will be difficult to recreate a very similar texture appearance with paint, though. Which is good, because otherwise I really like the model.

And I have two. :rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

It should be possible to recreate the missing texture lines with a sharp tool, possibly a V-shaped engraving tool?

(I need to check the usual sites for metal engraving tools as they are smaller than woodworking tools)

Those swirls doesn't look good, but most should fill out easily when you GreenStuff the joins between body parts. 

Are there any on the wings?

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Gadgetman! said:

Are there any on the wings?

I did not see any on my wing set. 

13 minutes ago, Bane Of Humanity said:

No one mentioned the huge crater in each of his wings...

1585210065_craterorwing.thumb.jpg.acf482bf9494f2d3d513b98689f95cd0.jpg

My wings have those. I think it is a necessary part of the process. It’s where a vent detached. 

• Like 1