Sign in to follow this  
EvilJames

Black warg

20190605_112446.thumb.jpg.c16bc809efe3203fdbac05137edaac83.jpgSo this  is an experiment in multiple  ways. First, when I painted this guy up. I wanted to try and paint a black wolf for something different. I wasn't  sure how to make the fur stand out, so this is the first time I've used reference photos. Also for the longest time I've been having trouble getting photos to turn out. They look fine on the phone but awful on my laptop when I try to edit them. Turns out, when you upload things to a potato, they look like potato.  So I'm seeing if I can make it work with just my phone. Anyway here we go.20190605_112529.thumb.jpg.86c21e45114e94c701feb550e880afb7.jpg20190605_112551.thumb.jpg.a2d6264c32085c6e49994d7c050fcb55.jpg20190605_112625.thumb.jpg.091471754e28dccf2b18081e5779b592.jpg20190605_112651.thumb.jpg.1a4bdfec49dbdedd01279df2de73beea.jpg20190605_112723.thumb.jpg.61005fa8d27ca1238cded77ea02311de.jpg

• Like 17

8 minutes ago, EvilJames said:

Also for the longest time I've been having trouble getting photos to turn out. They look fine on the phone but awful on my laptop when I try to edit them. Turns out, when you upload things to a potato, they look like potato.  So I'm seeing if I can make it work with just my phone.

Does the figure look darker in reality? (To me, the photo is reading as a medium gray rather than black.)

If it's actually darker in reality, what's probably happening is that the camera is seeing a dark subject on a dark background and reading that as "not much light". Then it raises the exposure. If you were to use a lighter background or dial in some negative exposure compensation (some camera apps have that kind of control, some don't), probably about a -1.5, you could get this to read much darker. (Since you don't want to go to a computer for post.)

• Thanks 1

It's supposed to be a dark grey and brown. My camera app might have those features but it wont tell me if it does or not. It has no key or explanation for any of the symbols on the screen. On the phone for me it looks fine, it becomes very washed out when on my computer screen.

BONUS POINTS for painting a WOLF!!!!

Nice job.

I think using another backdrop might let the camera focus more on the beastie.

• Thanks 1

Much better photos. The lighter background is making it easier for the camera to figure out exposure.

• Thanks 1

Nice wolf - great eyes and dark palette. You might think of adding a darker undertone - maybe a wash, to provide more contrast - maybe something Like MSP walnut brown of Vallejo german black brown? 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Iridil said:

Nice wolf - great eyes and dark palette. You might think of adding a darker undertone - maybe a wash, to provide more contrast - maybe something Like MSP walnut brown of Vallejo german black brown? 

Thanks. I was pretty proud of the eyes and face on this one. The undertone might be a problem with my photography still, as walnut brown and some grey black were parts of my pallete. I might pick up some of that brown black though, I could definitely use a couple more really dark browns. Walnut is pretty much my main one right now.

Edited by EvilJames

the last 2 photo's you posted are really quite good, and the very first one of the face is nice too, really good focus on that one to show off that face. 

I also struggle a lot with my pics, so many pics i wound up not posting because they made my mini look terrible.  Sometimes i would change things , re-shoot, throw them all away, repeat. After 3rd try finally give up

Glad yours came out

• Thanks 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this