Sign in to follow this  
lexomatic

monster gaming monster adventure terrain

WizKids is supposed to release an Openlock and Dragonlock-compatible dungeon tiles set (no release date), so I'd like to see how far they with that -- and if they cause 3rd parties to make specialized OpenLock terrain. (3D printing is already available for DragonLock and Openlock).

• Like 1

I'm kind of amazed that entire campaign page never actually mentions Minecraft anywhere. Surely I can't be the only geek who immediately thought of that on seeing those sample setups?

This stuff seems super cool. One of my biggest complaints about my current "just draw it on the wet-erase mat" is that it's really hard to convey verticality. This is amazing for that. I may have found an actually 3-D dungeon set that I will break down and buy...

Edited by Disciple of Sakura
removed a "super cool" for redundancy control.
  • Like 2

While cheaper than stuff like Dwarven Forge, it LOOKS a lot cheaper as well.  It's like Dwarven Forge and Duplo had a baby.

No texture on the stone blocks, cavern walls are straight after the initial floor piece, etc.

Sorry, but it just doesn't look immersive to me.  No offense to those that like it, but it's too primitive for me.

I like their card binders though.  :)

On 6/7/2019 at 6:04 PM, animesensei said:

While cheaper than stuff like Dwarven Forge, it LOOKS a lot cheaper as well.  It's like Dwarven Forge and Duplo had a baby.

No texture on the stone blocks, cavern walls are straight after the initial floor piece, etc.

Sorry, but it just doesn't look immersive to me.  No offense to those that like it, but it's too primitive for me.

I like their card binders though.  :)

It's a huge step up from lines drawn on a wet erase playmat, that's for sure. I really wish I had more disposable income for this, but I have a feeling my players would be too lazy to maneuver to see the map anyway...

I went ahead and backed for the $139 pledge. I probably shouldn't even go that high, but I really think this will help my campaigns a lot more than the much more expensive  Dwarven Forge.

I hope they work out for you!

In my experience, I've learned after time something else comes along that looks better than all of the cheap stuff I've bought over the years, so I just decided to skip the multiple upgrades and selling old stuff and buy what I know I want in the end anyway.  I've bee pretty happy ever since, and have been selling my old plaster terrain and other fiddly bits that don't look as good anymore.

• Thanks 1

I think with KS (and a 3D printer), terrain choices has greatly accelerated. However, while we've settled on a standard for miniatures ("28mm heroic"), I think the Dwarven Forge "2x2" standard is being challenged by not just different standards (eg. OpenLock) but by alternate ways of holding terrain pieces together (eg. magnets, OpenLock, etc.). I already have the DF standard (Dwarven Forge, Galladoria Games, Acheson tiles, and Stones tiles), and like the semi-compatible OpenLock standard (Rampage tiles, WizKids), and also have a ton of 2D tiles.

Most of these tiles are dungeon tiles, and I think a new terrain KS should not assume the potential backer doesn't already have a set. Galladoria Games' AdventureScapes KS went with three different sets with the "2x2" standard, and their docks set was very popular. Obviously, that's not a terrain set someone who's just starting with terrain would buy first. I think Monster Gaming should have presented its best use of its tiles (eg. castle), particularly since its First Creation status meant that backers would not go "all in" like their videos and home page suggested. Myself, I would have liked their trees, much as many Planet of the Apes backers said, but I didn't have any use for the ladders of the set that offered trees. I've also noticed that game tiles often fail to show how their tiles can be used with miniature wargamers, who are always looking out for terrain that they can use in their wargames. Battle Systems, frex, is showing off their terrain to appeal to wargamers and RPG'ers alike.

I actually really dislike Dwarven Forge's penchant for putting walls in the middle of a 1" square, making the entire square effectively useless for the purposes of gaming. It seems to be a common issue throughout most dungeon tile sets, and one I'm not terribly interested in using. Walls being a separate piece on their own would be much more useful in my opinion. There was a mines kickstarter that Reaper helped with several years ago that I thought had the right idea with their walls occupying their own 1" wide pieces, making them work with the gaming grid, rather than against it. Sadly, I didn't have enough money to back for those then - I just got the paints that Reaper was throwing in at a steal. That's part of what I like about this set overall, but to each their own.

I hear what you are saying but with the over sized weapons that are on many minis that extra wall space works really great.  Even if your minis do not stick out of their area that near wall space is a great place to put terrain accessories to add flavor to your room.

In the end you should buy what you like but sometimes a useless square is not useless in real game play.

We're getting off topic, but DF does sell freestanding walls and floors so you don't have to deal with the 1/2 square problem if you don't like it but do like the rest of their stuff.  Just saying.

I hope these Monster Tiles look good after they are produced.  I'll be keeping an eye on them but am still not swayed.

Edited by animesensei