Mehman

Do I Continue?

So, I've got this model I was working on a few years ago but I don't know whether I should scrap her and start v2 or continue on and begin sculpting on her. The base for the model (I guess you could call it a proprietary armature at this point) is two models from Games Workshop - Lelith Hesperax and a Lhamaean. The former has been positioned to a standing pose from her original kneeling pose and the latter's torso and head have been taken for the base model. Through the power of smooshing (and lots and lots of pinning), all the pieces were fitted together to get what you see below.

Here's the problem: I don't know whether I should go ahead and start putting greenstuff on her or just scrap it all to heck. My frustration lies mainly with her neck - I don't know if it's too long. It seems too long, in my opinion. After looking at anatomical models of necks and shoulder-to-neck-to-head height, I'm more confused than when I started. I need another set of eyes on this base model that won't just placate me with a "She's fine" answer.

AF Built 1.JPG

AF Built 2.JPG

• Like 5

Okay,

I understand your problem. It's hard to say, actually, because the pictures are hard for me to see, but from what I can see, I'd say: yes, the neck looks like it's a tad too long. But I guess that's because her overall body seems to be a bit out of proportion

For example it looks like her legs are directly connected to her stomach, without any waist or similar. I think you could still do something with her. You don't need to scrap her.

Could you maybe provide some better pictures? Better lighting and maybe different angles?

• Like 4

I would probably say that yes, her neck looks a bit long, especially in that second photo. I don't think I would scrap the entire model, she doesn't look that disproportional elsewhere. And individuals are not always proportionate to "anatomy diagrams"; most diagrams are averages throughout the human population. I once knew a man whose height was all in his legs, he had a very tiny torso by comparison. And the swimmer Michael Phelps actually has a longer torso than a man his own height "should" have.

Back to the neck issue: not sure if you've got it pinned on or not, but you could just pop it off and trim a little bit more off until the length looks satisfying. Not sure if this is one of the anatomy charts you've looked at, but I'm going to attach it anyways. You can download it, hold your mini up to the screen, zoom the chart in/out until it matches the size of your mini, and see how the neck length is looking.

armature_card.jpg

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, SisterMaryNapalm said:

Okay,

I understand your problem. It's hard to say, actually, because the pictures are hard for me to see, but from what I can see, I'd say: yes, the neck looks like it's a tad too long. But I guess that's because her overall body seems to be a bit out of proportion

For example it looks like her legs are directly connected to her stomach, without any waist or similar. I think you could still do something with her. You don't need to scrap her.

Could you maybe provide some better pictures? Better lighting and maybe different angles?

I see what you mean about the body proportions. This is where I quit with her those years ago and never got around to finish shaping her up. That bit her legs are connected to has a divot in the front that makes the whole piece look like the continuation of her legs - an unfortunate look but an easy fix. I'll make sure to add a better waist to her before/while sculpting because, now that I look at it, she doesn't have well-defined hips.

21 minutes ago, ManvsMini said:

I would probably say that yes, her neck looks a bit long, especially in that second photo. I don't think I would scrap the entire model, she doesn't look that disproportional elsewhere. And individuals are not always proportionate to "anatomy diagrams"; most diagrams are averages throughout the human population. I once knew a man whose height was all in his legs, he had a very tiny torso by comparison. And the swimmer Michael Phelps actually has a longer torso than a man his own height "should" have.

Back to the neck issue: not sure if you've got it pinned on or not, but you could just pop it off and trim a little bit more off until the length looks satisfying. Not sure if this is one of the anatomy charts you've looked at, but I'm going to attach it anyways. You can download it, hold your mini up to the screen, zoom the chart in/out until it matches the size of your mini, and see how the neck length is looking.

*snip!*

The neck is pinned but, in my amateur haste, I also glued everything, so there's that to deal with. I know better now from other models I've done, and that's a huge plus. This diagram is new to me and I've saved it for this and future projects. Very handy stuff. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Mehman said:

I see what you mean about the body proportions. This is where I quit with her those years ago and never got around to finish shaping her up. That bit her legs are connected to has a divot in the front that makes the whole piece look like the continuation of her legs - an unfortunate look but an easy fix. I'll make sure to add a better waist to her before/while sculpting because, now that I look at it, she doesn't have well-defined hips.

Okay. That said: You could maybe sculpt a cloak or so, which will maybe hide her neck a bit.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Mehman said:

The neck is pinned but, in my amateur haste, I also glued everything, so there's that to deal with.

Sometimes you can put a mini in the freezer for a bit, it'll make the superglue more brittle (those look like Finecast models, so I presume you used superglue). If you want to try this, when you take it out of the freezer, give the head a nice twist (bare-handed, without using tools so you don't damage the mini's features) and see if it pops off. It doesn't always work, depends on the amount of superglue used.

If all else fails, you are only a Simple Green bath away... might even be able to just soak the head/neck joint without ruining the rest of your assembly.

EDIT: I've never worked with Finecast, so I really don't know how durable it is to twisting. I personally would just submerge her head in he Simple Green to undo hte joint. The freezer trick is done at your own risk.

Edited by ManvsMini
  • Like 3

34 minutes ago, ManvsMini said:

Sometimes you can put a mini in the freezer for a bit, it'll make the superglue more brittle (those look like Finecast models, so I presume you used superglue). If you want to try this, when you take it out of the freezer, give the head a nice twist (bare-handed, without using tools so you don't damage the mini's features) and see if it pops off. It doesn't always work, depends on the amount of superglue used.

If all else fails, you are only a Simple Green bath away... might even be able to just soak the head/neck joint without ruining the rest of your assembly.

EDIT: I've never worked with Finecast, so I really don't know how durable it is to twisting. I personally would just submerge her head in he Simple Green to undo hte joint. The freezer trick is done at your own risk.

It's no big problem to remove. I've trimmed her neck once before and both her neck and head pop right off. I'm actually excited to work on her again! Woo hoo!

• Like 4