vhaidra

Titania Hasslefree Miniatures

Having just a little bit offtime at the moment, but this gives me at least the chance to post a second recent/actual wip. It is Titania by Hasslefree and I`m really in love with this sculpt. Yes she is very tiny, but nevertheless good to paint I think. Apart from that she is really beautiful and I enjoy each brushstroke at her and I have pleasure in working her skin out as good as possible.

This is first the second wip photo, but I`m painting at her since a while already and she looks almost finished. I will go on painting her a little bit and I still consider about a freehand at this piece of fabric she is holding in her hand, but I`m not sure yet.

Concept:

My plans are to create a nice magical forest base for her. I wish to sculpt a tree with a face and he is looking at her bottom and smiles haha. Apart from that a bit water, mushrooms, little animals, maybe glowing crystals or colourful flowers and so on. As always: I could need your help when it comes to building up the base.

As always: All kind of feedback is appreciated ::D: If you have questions concerning painting technique and/or which paints/colours I used, feel free to ask.

Linked for nudity:

Titania 1:

https://stra.to/ap/9zhV05Jv/s/6b612d1935a4bd799613bcc15d38a388/Titania Hasslefree Vhaidra wip 2a.jpg?id=134250321

Titania 2:

https://stra.to/ap/9zhV05Jv/s/6b612d1935a4bd799613bcc15d38a388/Titania Hasslefree Vhaidra wip 2b.jpg?id=134250326

Titania 3:

https://stra.to/ap/9zhV05Jv/s/6b612d1935a4bd799613bcc15d38a388/Titania Hasslefree Vhaidra wip 2c.jpg?id=134250331

Titania 4:

https://stra.to/ap/9zhV05Jv/s/6b612d1935a4bd799613bcc15d38a388/Titania Hasslefree Vhaidra wip 2d.jpg?id=134250336

• Like 19

I think, she's perfect for a night-at-the-lake-style diorama. You know? Like she's about to go swimming and the tree is behind her watching her like an old pervert.

dbs-master-roshi-nose-bleed-229638-1280x0.png

For the base, I'd summon @malefactus. If you need any ideas on trees, mushrooms and so on, he's number 1 here.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

@SisterMaryNapalm: No, night on the lake will not work, because the colours and the highlighting are painted like it is daylight. For a night scene I should have used darker and colder colours and so on. No need to summone Malefactus at the this stage, because I will make the base first in maybe 2 months or so. But thanks. I hope he will help me then when I`m ready to start with it.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, vhaidra said:

@SisterMaryNapalm: No, night on the lake will not work, because the colours and the highlighting are painted like it is daylight. For a night scene I should have used darker and colder colours and so on. No need to summone Malefactus at the this stage, because I will make the base first in maybe 2 months or so. But thanks. I hope he will help me then when I`m ready to start with it.

Yeah well, daylight is also fine. I mean - the scenario will be the same: Sexy girl goes swimming, tree's watching. I like it. And even if you do something completely different, it will totally be worth the time watching.

Okay, then I understood it the wrong way. I thought you were already about to work on the base.

• Like 3

No not at all. I first finish a paintjob completely and then it can happen that I even put it away for a while before I actually start to make the base. I will post evertything related Titania here in this thread. You will see it then.

• Like 2

Wow, those are beautiful skin tones!  I actually enjoy painting figures with little clothing because it gives me a chance to just focus on skin and faces.

• Like 2

To paint skin is a challenge. And somedays I'll accepted this an will try to do so. But as perfect as your skin tone on Titania, this will be a long way. Especially to paint the smooth skin from women, it's all but not easy. I stay tuned for the updates.

• Like 2

She looks beautiful!

As for the water, for my Komodo Dragon I used UV Resin Gel from Greenstuffworld, I think for a shallow pond/ river section this will be very easy to work with.

Smaller puddles, use Vallejo Still Water.

Looking forward to see the base.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Very nice! I like the subtle use of violets in the cool shading on her skin and the gentle satin of her purple draperies. Her hair is excellent too - whites are tricky.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/7/2019 at 3:03 AM, 72moonglum said:

Wow, those are beautiful skin tones!  I actually enjoy painting figures with little clothing because it gives me a chance to just focus on skin and faces.

Me too. No details which stop my brush move haha. Thanks for your feedback.

20 hours ago, Garbosch said:

To paint skin is a challenge. And somedays I'll accepted this an will try to do so. But as perfect as your skin tone on Titania, this will be a long way. Especially to paint the smooth skin from women, it's all but not easy. I stay tuned for the updates.

Thanks Garbosch. I`m glad you like her.

16 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

She looks beautiful!

As for the water, for my Komodo Dragon I used UV Resin Gel from Greenstuffworld, I think for a shallow pond/ river section this will be very easy to work with.

Smaller puddles, use Vallejo Still Water.

Looking forward to see the base.

Thank you for feedback and for the tipps. I guess I will use Vallejo Still Water. I`m scared about resin water as you know LOL.

16 hours ago, Pingo said:

Very nice! I like the subtle use of violets in the cool shading on her skin and the gentle satin of her purple draperies. Her hair is excellent too - whites are tricky.

Thank you very much for your feedback. Yep the white is still tricky. I`m not entirely happy with it. We will see how it turns out in the end.

7 hours ago, blargney said:

She looks like she's looking at something that just landed on her leg.  A ladybug, maybe?

My idea was that she is having a bath and that is why she is looking downward. That`s the reason for the idea with water on the base. A little lake or a little waterfall.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, vhaidra said:

Thank you for feedback and for the tipps. I guess I will use Vallejo Still Water. I`m scared about resin water as you know LOL.

So am I, the UV Resin Gel doesn't need mixing either and dries pretty fast it needs to be exposed to UV light ( either the sun or a little UV flashlight).

The Still Water is more liquid than the Gel and needs longer to dry,

Just so you know.

I'm going to experiment with AK Interactive Water soon, two part resin.

It's time to overcome my fear and try other stuff, this way I will find out what I like best and what is the easiest way to create nice water.

I will share my results.

Masterful work all around--the hair is truly fantastic and the blue/lilac shadows on the skin really emphasize the sylvan nature of the faerie queen.

• Thanks 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By vhaidra
      Because I have finaly off a couple of days,  I`ll take the chance to upload one wip project more. But that`s enough for the moment.

This will gonna be a diorama in the end and I started it as group project at my german home forum the Bemalforum. Sometimes we just consider a topic and the members of the forum try to keep to this topic with their projects. I started this as group project with the topic "Make love not war". I didn`t get it finished in time, but I don`t mind and nevertheless finish it as I have planned it.

Concept:
      As said the topic is "Make love not war" and so this was a good opportunity for creating a battle scene with antagonists such as "Love" vs. "Hate", "Good" vs. "Evil" and so on. In the case here the Space Marine represents love and the good one. Haha. Alyx is representing hate and the bad one. This whole project has a meaning and a message and it is: "Hate is little fearful child and love is a huge, self contended Space Marine able to protect you."

I drilled a hole into the gun of the Space Marine and later he will shoot with flowers LOL. I will also add anything peaceful into his empty hand (I still consider what exactly, suggestions for the empty hand are welcome). The side of the base where the Space Marine is standing on will be very colourful with green gras, plants and most of all with a lot of colourful flowers. The side of the base where Alyx is standing on will be monochromatic black/white as herfself is also only painted monochromatic black/white. The only colour which will be added later to Alyx and her side of the base will be bloodred. Her fist will be covered with blood later and it will drop on the base too.

Base:
      What I wish to create here are 2 different spheres. One colourful and bright, full of hope and love (Space Marine`s side), the other one (Alyx`s side) liveless dark and just dried  and dead plants and simply everything will be painted only in black/white apart from the blood at Alyx`s fist and on the base. Maybe I will put the Teddy (she is originally holding in her hand) on her side of her base too and paint it still colourful as a symbol of her lost childhood. The concept is finished and determined. I`m only open for suggestions in details which support the basic idea.

I had help by Mortimer and Ildfus Mahler (both members of the Bemalforum). Mortimer is my muse and he had the idea to add a Hasslefree child to the scene and Ildfus helps me to plan and execute my ideas for the base. So there are already other painters involved here for supporting this project and I will follow the advice by Ildfus Mahler mainly. So: Of course ideas are welcomed, but please be not upset if I let myself mainly guided by Ildfus, because I "engaged" him as my teacher for all concerning the base at this project. Thanks to Ildfus Mahler and Mortimer at this opportunity (for the case if they read it here).

Technique:
      Oh well, this is really a hard task. I used this Space Marine for to practise maximum contrast which means I cover a range up from deep black to pure white.
      This is inspired by the outstanding and excellent work of the amazing painter Glaze O also known as Glaze Over.

This means: Here are supposed multiple light sources (not only one from above like it is the case in zenithal highlighting) for determining the highlights/reflections. It is all painted in non metallic metal black, which was really a stupid idea Any other colour wouldn´t make this stress I have right now with all this greys, black and white aaaargh. The multiple light sources make the nmm looking intresting no matter from what angle you look at it and so this is advanced nmm painting.

I mixed in some dark blue into the black for increasing the metallic look. Pictures are more blue than in real, I have to change the white balance settings for the next wip photos.

In basic it is wetblending in the beginning, followed by layering (70%-80%) and partially I used two brush technique (30%-40%). Glaze Over has written on his blog that he only uses two brush technique for to create this wonderful shiny nmm effect, but I`m not very common with this technique and so I just used it partially until now.

Nothing is really finished here and I`m still working on almost all blendings for to get them smoother and for to get the contrast higher. I guess I have painted over 50 hours until now (mainly tedious layering without any end) at the Space Marine and this sucks a bit haha. This is a challenge for me and the only miniature at the moment where I really try to improve my skills as a painter. All other paintjobs at the moment are just on my recent level (not very challenging), but this one here is meant as challenge for me.

As always: All kind of feedback is appreciated.

Sorry this last image is too dark at the lower part, but the wooden base is to see. Both will be put on the same base which is a wooden socket.

• By vhaidra
      I decided today is a good day for showing you the truth

Originally my plan was to post my wips up from the very beginning for one reason and that is for you to see that there is no need to fear the paint. This is the most important lesson I`ve learnt through all this years of painting: Don`t fear the paint!!!

You can mess around with acrylics same way like you can do with oil paints. You can put them wet in wet in on the figure and just mess around with them how you like. You just have to take care that your layers of paint are not as thick that the paint obscure some fine details, but apart from that you can simply push and pull it around in a (semitransparent rather opaque consistency) on the miniature in a quite chaotic way and I tell you this is massive fun. This is the most joyful part in painting, because you don`t need to be carefully at all. This is also a very good way for practising and learning highlighting, because you can try out different light scenarios, before you make your final decision.

This is what I call: Making first a very rough sketch.

This is the stage where you can simply try things. If you don`t like it....no problem, just paint it over and try a different sketch of the highlighting. The problem with starting very clean up from the very beginning is: You are not flexible anymore. You fear to damage what you have already painted and you stick to something which is might not the best solution, but you stick to it, because you have already spent a couple of hours with painting it up to this stage and this blocks your creativity.

Unleashed creativity starts always with chaos. The chaos gives you the chance to change your direction again and to try out a couple of things before you make your final decision.

Most of my actual wips are far beyond the chaos stage already, but Gandalf is right now in the absolutely chaos stage and so I have got the chance to post at least one of the wips which are at the very, very beginning. I just spent a very short time with him until now and what you see here is only a very first and rough sketch of the osl. As you see, I ignore all other details and I just mess around with my paints for to find out which way the osl might look good in the end. So this is all in heavy progress/movement. Can be that the next wips look completely different, but the overall direction became gradually clear for me in the meantime.

OSL:
      Well this is a complicated OSL because:
      - There is coming white light from above from his staff
      - There is coming orange light from the Balrog in front of him
      - And for making it finaly complicated there is also coming light from below (he is standing on such a stone bridge) because in the abyss there are a lot of torches at the walls below.

So I have to paint 3 lightsources here. 1 in white and 2 in orange and red (fire colours).

Everything here is just done very rudimentary. This is why all looks very unclean and messy, but this is actually exactly the way my paintjobs all look in the very beginning.

Technique: For the moment I just mix the light colours (white, orange, red) with the grey of his robe and with dark grey at the shadows and I apply it very quickly and combine wet in wet with some very rough and quick layering with more opaque paints for making fast progress. I do absolutely not care about cleanliness. I`m not sure yet about the reflections at the sword and try different things here right now. At the moment the osl looks more like rust than like light, but it is just because it is not workout yet. Later the highlights will be more orange and brighter and then it will work. What you see here are rather the midtones of the osl.

Concept: Simply the movie scene which means that the base will be a piece of this stone bridge he is standing on in the movie. Not a big deal.

The challenge here is not the base, but this complicated OSL, his face will also be challenging. Well here it is, don`t get a shock

• By vhaidra
      Well I said it already I have started a lot of wips and I`m painting at all from time to time and nothing gets finished.

Lorna The Huntress is a cool sculpt I ever wished to paint and now finaly I started it. I have got 3 wips already and you missed the first 2 ones and so I made a photo collage for you to see the other wip stages too.

Here you can see what I was talking about already: I start messy. I don`t mind about clean painting at all, but with time it all becomes more clean, finer, it gets more depth, more contrast, more vibrant colours and so on. This is the way I work.

I have no real concept for her and still consider about a base. Ideas are most welcome

I have to link her for nudity I`m afraid and the bad news are: My image hoster compressed the images. Aaaaargh. Images are too small, but I hope you see enough. Next time I can upload single photos to my image hoster and because of a different size they won`t be compressed like this big collage. For the final photos of the finished Miniature I will post a link to my homepage and there you also can see all angles of her. Nothing is finished here and I will go on working out all details more.

As always: All feedback is appreciated.

Link for nudity:

Lorna front side

Lorna back side

Cheers,
      Yvonne

• By vhaidra
      Hi all,
      as said I`m painting at a lot of miniatures at the moment, but they are all still wip and I only make very slowly progress so don`t expect me to post updates in my wip threads quickly. I have to work much, sometimes no time at all for painting and because I`m working at so many different projects each develope rather slow.

Because you seemed to like especially my version of Astrid I decided to start with posting wip photos from my second version of Astrid.

Long story short: The first and already finished Astrid (please check out my homepage for watching her, or visit my "I`m back" thread) was a gift for a friend. After she was finished I gave her away, but I also liked her haha. I decided that I simply can make someday a copy of her so that I have got one too for myself

I started this copy before my break in painting and now I plan to finish her with time.

One thing is different and that is the freehand of the back side of the guitar. This is because I`m a kinda wild thing and so this one becomes "Metal Astrid" LOL. My friend wished notes and so I painted notes at the first version of her. I would have preferred a skull, but my friend didn`t like the idea. But this version is for myself and now finaly the skull can be painted.

Well, nothing is finished here. It is all wip.

Explanation: I always start very rough and unclean all over the miniature. I do not finish part by part, I always paint everywhere same time. My paintjobs look all the time unfinished until they are really finished. I start at completely "messy" and with time my wips become cleaner, cleaner and you can see how I build up depth and the highlighting. So don`t worry if you see a wip from me at an early stage, I work this way intentionally.

Feedback/help: Of course each kind of feedback is highly appreciated. Critique, praise, jokes, questions, tipps...I take it all Concerning painting I don`t need desperately help and advice although it seems that I do if you see my completely messy and unclean wips, but actually I know what I`m doing and mostly I have a determined plan concerning colourscheme, concept and so on. So don`t get cheated by the (partially) horrible look of my wips, it turns out smooth in the end and you see always just a temporary condition. But feel free to communicate your thoughts if you think something would look better in a different way or for the case that you have got cool ideas which matches well with my concept. 

Concerning bases I do desperately need help!!! Definitely. I`m sad with how my bases turn out. I wish to improve. I hope I can learn here to build up better bases. I also need help when it comes to build anything for example with plastic card (polystyrene) and such. I hope that you can help me with this issue and I`m more than glad about tipps and advice in this matter.

Concept so far:
      - Colourscheme same like the first Astrid, but skull freehand.
      - I will take her off from the base she is standing on right now and I wish to make a cool base this time.
      - I would love to make a stage, but I have no idea how, LOL.
      - I plan to sculpt a "Marshall Amp" for her guitar
      - I play with the idea to add the skeletal band by Ral Partha as her band LOL. I`m not sure about this idea.
      - I plan to sculpt different things like beer cans, paper, zigarettes lying on the floor, maybe a microphone however. If you have got cool ideas in additon I would be glad to know.

Please let me know what you think about the concept and feel free to make own suggestions because all is open now. Nothing is done. I`m just painting at the moment.

Enough talking, here are the actual wip photos: Ooops I see my pictures are a bit blurry (or does the board compress the images). Next ones will be better at least if the board software allows.  More angles of the miniature also follow later.

• By vhaidra
      Hi all,
      I just jumped in yesterday for leaving a couple of comments and I recognized that I don`t know anybody from the recent active members here and so I guess it is best to introduce myself again.
      My artist name is Vhaidra, I`m female and I`m 48 years old. I`m painting miniatures since 2004 and I was  very active as a miniature painter until 2012. I used to work as a professionally painter for a couple of years and made commissioned work for Dark Sword Miniatures, Ian Newbold and Assassin Miniatures as well as for private customers.

I stopped this completely up from 2012 and made a very long break in painting. Since 2017 I started again to paint miniatures, but I decided to change a lot. Nowadays my main concern ist relaxation and fun and so I don`t do commissions at all anymore and apart from that I don`t sell my minis, I do not enter competitions (unless they are really just for fun), and I also don`t upload my paintjobs on coolminiornot or similar sites anymore. I also don`t rate other people`s miniatures. What I wish is an exchange about miniature painting. Community, sharing ideas and enthusiasm about miniature painting. That`s all

I once was very active here, but this is long, long ago. For all who still know me: I`m back

I checked out the last topics I opened up here and....wow this is really very old stuff lol. So I post here a couple of the last paintjobs I did before my break and of course I will post here too what I will paint in the future. I also have got several wips at the moment. I`m working much at my job and so I just can get slowly back step by step.

For the moment I selected a couple of paintjobs:
      Lonnia, Elquin and Astrid the Chronicler by Reaper Miniatures, Thief Of Hearts by Darksword Miniatures and Lucy by Fatalpersonality.
      I had problems to understand how to post photos here. I have tried an img link, but it didn`t work. So this is just a little collection for giving you an impression of my work. For to see more angles of the paintjobs and for further information about me, please check out my homepage.

http://vhaidra-fantasy-miniaturen.de/miniatures.html

• Who's Online   17 Members, 2 Anonymous, 50 Guests (See full list)