Xiwo Xerase

02643: Diedra Dark Willow

Great work! The eyes are a bit, I don't know. Wide, but otherwise you did great. Eyes are some of the most difficult too get right in my experience.

• Thanks 1

Nice work on the clothing and hair - the overalls/jumpsuit is sooo smooth. Eyes look a bit odd though - maybe too wide? Might be the sculpt

• Thanks 1

I really like the contrast of the dark sleeves against the color of the shirt.

• Thanks 1

To be honest I think the eyes look good. They are big, but this not your fault and apart from that this looks anyhow intresting. They look both clean painted.

For the future: For to make Eyes look smaller you can use some tricks like painting the eyeliner only at the inside of the eyes and go as far as possible with the skincolour surounding the eyes. Other way round: If you paint the eyeliner only at the outside then the eyes look bigger. So there are ways for making eye shapes more even, bigger, smaller and so on but it is a tedious and hard work and it is often very time consuming. Not recommendable for a paintjob which was meant to be finished quickly. The nmm turned out fantastic and the overall paintjob is good too. I also like the haircolour and the highlights at the hair very much.

• Thanks 1

Those vials are neat, and I don't think I've ever seen pale blonde hair painted better. Definitely above tabletop grade by my standards.

• Thanks 1

On 6/6/2019 at 10:27 PM, Othikent said:

Great work! The eyes are a bit, I don't know. Wide, but otherwise you did great. Eyes are some of the most difficult too get right in my experience.

On 6/7/2019 at 12:14 PM, Iridil said:

Nice work on the clothing and hair - the overalls/jumpsuit is sooo smooth. Eyes look a bit odd though - maybe too wide? Might be the sculpt

On 6/7/2019 at 11:08 PM, vhaidra said:

To be honest I think the eyes look good. They are big, but this not your fault and apart from that this looks anyhow intresting. They look both clean painted.

For the future: For to make Eyes look smaller you can use some tricks like painting the eyeliner only at the inside of the eyes and go as far as possible with the skincolour surounding the eyes. Other way round: If you paint the eyeliner only at the outside then the eyes look bigger. So there are ways for making eye shapes more even, bigger, smaller and so on but it is a tedious and hard work and it is often very time consuming. Not recommendable for a paintjob which was meant to be finished quickly. The nmm turned out fantastic and the overall paintjob is good too. I also like the haircolour and the highlights at the hair very much.

Thanks!

So let's look at her face.  I've got two pictures, one from just after priming and shading and one of her face from the pictures above:

1495205070_2019020102643Face.jpg.52ee7285aac1d3db614fc582695aae7f.jpg964975256_2019060602643Face.jpg.5d52904d479b2c37150e44e7279b8d17.jpg

(this is as large as these pictures get)

There are a few things to note:

• (The camera angles are slightly different so we can't compare directly.)
  • Her left eye (our right) seems to be less defined than the other.
  • You can barely see a light point in her left eye at the top under her hair.  This is actually a raised part that doesn't look like a standard sculpted eyeball.  I ended up fighting this a lot.

The picture on the store page isn't too helpful:

02643_G.jpg

It could be that her left eye is supposed to be closed.  She's trying to throw a knife, after all.

Since we're looking at her eyes zoomed in, we can see that her eyes have been painted slightly larger than her eyesockets.  This is most noticeable at the corners, especially the outside corners.

On 6/8/2019 at 1:25 AM, Rigel said:

Those vials are neat, and I don't think I've ever seen pale blonde hair painted better. Definitely above tabletop grade by my standards.

Vials?  Do you mean her knife sheaths?  They've turned out more like ivory than leather but they're fine as is.

As far as her hair goes, there's not much of a secret to it:

• The colors are the Reaper Blonde Hair triad, with Walnut Brown for the deepest shadows and Linen White for the highest highlights.
  • Paint the hair using Walnut Brown.
  • Using the side of your brush, paint the shadow color, then the midtone, then the highlights, and then the highest highlights.  By using the side of your brush, you keep most of the paint out of the crevices between hair strands.  You want to wick most of the paint off your brush.  (I've also had more luck with this with my Raphaël brushes since they either have a rounded belly (8404) or have longer bristles (8408).)
  • For an idea of placing highlights and shadows, see MiniPainterJen's hair tutorial.

(This is the same way I did Juliette's hair.)

22 hours ago, Warlady said:

Beautiful job!  I really like the texture you got on her shirt.

Thanks!  Bobby Jackson, the sculptor, should get most of the credit for this since he made the shirt so interesting.

20 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

She looks great!

11 hours ago, zoroaster100 said:

I love your highlights and shadows on her hair and outfit.  Its masterful.  

Thanks!

10 hours ago, Redd Knekk said:

NMM turned out great!

Thanks!  I'm not happy with the NMM myself but I'm not completely sure why.

Edited by Xiwo Xerase
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

That hair is terrific and you have enough detail showing I may have to try duplicating it.  Nicely done!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Now that I see a close up from the unpainted sculpt (thanks for posting this image by the way): Great job at the mouth. It is completely uneven at the sculpt, but you painted it as even as possible. Thumbs up! Concerning the eyes: Indeed it looks like the one eye is closed. Well okay not the most easiest face to paint, but you did it very well especially under this circumstances.

• Thanks 1