First time at Reapercon

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Go to the fat shack.   Talk to people at RC.  We had our first year in 2018.  The people are WONDERMOUS!  Everyone wants to help and offer advice.  There are games going, classes, meetups, general meandering, shopping, painting, visiting, and other stuff.  Oh absolutely stay at the hotel that hosts it.  They are super awesome.  Go to the pizza dungeon meetup Wednesday night!  We didn't get to go last year for that.  So it'll be our first year together!!  Also my husband says he will be adding a thread about places to eat soon.  We hope to see you there!!!!

• Like 4
25 minutes ago, Shadowphaze said:

Okay, I'm ready for this.  I even managed to get seats in some of the classes I was interested in.

Is there a place to sign up for games and what not?  Or is it casual where you just walk up to an empty seat?

Depending on the game, it can be both.

When the games schedule becomes available, you should be able to register to the games that interest you.

A notable series of games are those from ReaperWolf, the main writer and GM of the Dreadmere setting for several years in a row. In past years, he had several adventures where you played as a member of a specific ReaperCon faction (Maggotcrown; Duskwarden; River Widows; etc.); and a concluding adventure where multiple factions meet up for a common goal (or not) with a climax event that depends on the factions that got the most/least votes during RCon. Seating *is* limited.

• Like 4
2 minutes ago, Shadowphaze said:

What is this I see about ribbons?  I see people talking about buying ribbons/badges.  What are those for?

The badge and lanyard you receive  at registration is sized so that as you get achievements, adhesive ribbons can be attached.

For example, my ribbon Bingo! is awarded for meeting forum members on a bingo card that does get you a standard bingo. I do have to go out and get these made up, as Reaper doesn’t buy them for me. However, Reaper does give out ribbons for various things as well, such as VIP ticket holders, painting competition entering, and taking a class.

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, Pegazus said:

The badge and lanyard you receive  at registration is sized so that as you get achievements, adhesive ribbons can be attached.

For example, my ribbon Bingo! is awarded for meeting forum members on a bingo card that does get you a standard bingo. I do have to go out and get these made up, as Reaper doesn’t buy them for me. However, Reaper does give out ribbons for various things as well, such as VIP ticket holders, painting competition entering, and taking a class.

The ribbons are something you stick to your registration/ID card. All in all, it's a passive way to encourage you to participate in as many activities as possible.

• First time attendee? You get a ribbon!
  • Got the VIP package? You get a ribbon!
  • Stay at the hotel? You get a ribbon!
  • Eat at the hotel? You get a ribbon!
  • Do the Reaper tour? You get a ribbon!
  • Enter the competitions? Multiple ribbons!
  • Play arcade games? You get a ribbon!
  • Play in one of the RPG games? Get a ribbon!
  • Take a class? Ribbon!
  • Sculpting class? Ribbon!
  • Give a class? Ribbon!
  • Support a Dreadmere faction? Ribbon!
  • etc.

And with amount of forumites who come in with their own ribbons, and have their own "secret" goals, extra ribbons! Enough ribbons that your trail of ribbons is long enough to become a tripping hazard. (Which is also the goal for a ribbon!)

Many of these will be listed in the guide book you get when you register on site. Others you have to hunt (or simply ask the person who already has one). Some will be mentioned right here on the board.

At my first RCon in 2016, I had over 40 ribbons. Even more were available the following years. But be aware that many of them are in limited numbers.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 4
1 hour ago, Shadowphaze said:

What is this I see about ribbons?  I see people talking about buying ribbons/badges.  What are those for?

longribbon.thumb.jpg.6d3f732f1d5506e26fc819bcff18b235.jpg

This is my ribbon train from last year.  As it lengthens it skews to one side because I can't be bothered to take it off to add new ribbons.  :lol:

Anyway, to highlight some:

FIVE STAR - Stay at the convention hotel

RIVER WIDOWS - My faction (Best Faction)

VIP - Buy the VIP ticket

TILT - Play one of the arcade machines

MSP OPEN - Enter something into the painting contest

BRONZE - What I got in the painting contest

TOURIST - Take the factory tour 

PROSPECTOR - Buy something off the melt table

And so on.  Collect as many or as few ribbons as you like.  Last year I had a friendly competition with @Chaoswolf for length of ribbon train, and this year I wanted to take it easy so I said there was no need for us to compete for strangle-length trip hazards, and then @Guindyloo said I said this in a suspicious way and it sounded like a trick, so now I guess I'm going for all the ribbons I can get again.  

Some people arrange them differently so they're not walking on them or forced to carry them around like a tail.  I prefer to maximize my menace and inconvenience.  

• Like 6
2 minutes ago, buglips*the*goblin said:

Some people arrange them differently so they're not walking on them or forced to carry them around like a tail.  I prefer to maximize my menace and inconvenience.  

I actually only put the ones that were needed for the con, and only did final assembly the last day. There’s a myriad of ways to deal with them.

• Like 3

I have a couple of noob questions:

I'm assuming there is a "registration" kiosk of some sort where badges are picked up. What time does this start?

Do we print our own class tickets from GrowTix or are they printed with the badge?

Is there a shuttle to Reaper for the tours?

Has anyone ever had problems flying with paints in their checked bags?

Thanks.

EC

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, EvilCleric said:

I'm assuming there is a "registration" kiosk of some sort where badges are picked up. What time does this start?

Do we print our own class tickets from GrowTix or are they printed with the badge?

Yes, they have a dedicated registration desk, which is also where you pick up some of the con sponsored ribbons (Tilt, Hooligan, etc. [at least last year]), and they will have your class tickets there. If I remember correctly, this opened at 8am

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
53 minutes ago, EvilCleric said:

Sometime Wednesday.  I think last year it was officially at 4pm (I honestly don't recall), but since the staff was there earlier than 4 they started processing people early.  The reg desk is outside the main ballroom and kinda looks like a concession counter.  It's well-marked so you'll know where it is, and should have the time marked on it.  If you're there and it isn't open yet, you can mill around or come back when it opens.  If you are there on Wednesday when it first opens there probably won't be a huge number of people there yet so it's pretty quick with not much line.  (We drive up on Tuesday to be well-rested and relaxed for Wednesday)

The email confirmation you got has a QR code.  You can print this out or just bring it up on your smartphone for them to scan.  I'd print it out just to be sure, in case your phone croaks or decides it's time to lead the robot revolution against us meatbags.  

Is there a shuttle to Reaper for the tours?

Yes, and this is usually announced several times and there's a final announcement before each one leaves.  I don't know how many trips they do or when because we always drive to the factory.  But if you ask around, you'll find out the info very easily.  I don't think there are any shuttles or tours on Wednesday, since Wed is more meet-n-greet day and Thursday is the first official con day.  

Has anyone ever had problems flying with paints in their checked bags?

Can't help with this one, I only take a carry-on and never bring paint.  

But basically, the convention is easy to navigate and find things out at so you won't have any trouble figuring out where to go and what to do.  It's even easier this year, since the new convention location got well known last year.  Last year it was all fresh and shiny and new for everyone.  When in doubt, ask around.  

1 minute ago, incubusgames said:

Yes, they have a dedicated registration desk, which is also where you pick up some of the con sponsored ribbons (Tilt, Hooligan, etc. [at least last year]), and they will have your class tickets there. If I remember correctly, this opened at 8am

Yeah, it might have been 8 am on Thursday, I didn't think of that.  I didn't pay attention to it after Wednesday, since we got our badges that day.  

Edited by buglips*the*goblin
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1