Sign in to follow this  
Dan d'Lyon

Centaurs

Hi all,

I'm in the market for somewhere between 10 and 20 centaurs.  I already have multiples of the Reaper ones, but I'd like to add some variety at approximately the same scale.  I prefer that female ones aren't topless, but not a big deal if they are.  What are some options that I can check out?  I definitely want to keep the price as reasonable as I can.

Thanks for any ideas.

IronWind Metals (mostly ex-Ral Partha)

Monday Knight Productions

Both have several centaur sculpts. The IronWind stuff is going to be small, but the ones I have are quite nicely sculpted. I've never seen the Monday Knight stuff in person, but it's billed as "28mm". I couldn't find anything from Old Glory, which surprised me a bit.

We have the Mantic Centaurs.

They are weird, with goat horns, Grump gave them goat eyes too. Goat eyes are freaky! Even at the scale, you notice them.

Since it was Kingmaker, they fit right in.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

SCS Direct has a tub of fantasy plastic figurines that includes male Centaurs with very strong Greek aesthetics. I like em.

There is one in the Nolzur's lineup. Bare chested male firing a bow behind him. There is one in the Ravinca prepainted set & it's nice mini (I think female but has a tribal feel to it). It's sized for a medium creature (to make is 5e PC legal) thou so it looks off vs large sized centaurs.

Also I think the Pathfinder Battles prepainted there are centaurs as well. Male & Female, both are wearing furs & have either Mongol or Viking looks to their outfits.

• Like 1

I have a smallish herd of Mage Knight, Bones, and Wizkids prepainted centaurs, and they all look pretty good together scale wise.  The Mage Knight centaurs come in pretty unique roles like a medic and a druid.

I do really like the look of the Mantic centaurs too... gonna have to add those to my wishlist.

• Like 1

On 6/8/2019 at 12:28 AM, breegull said:

I have a smallish herd of Mage Knight, Bones, and Wizkids prepainted centaurs, and they all look pretty good together scale wise.  The Mage Knight centaurs come in pretty unique roles like a medic and a druid.

I do really like the look of the Mantic centaurs too... gonna have to add those to my wishlist.

The Mage Knight Centaurs were going to be my suggestion.  The first few are tiny and generic, but the later sets are properly scaled and very Fey/Foresty.  They also have Snow Centaurs who are more...however you spell the Planescape liontaur race.  Bahriur?

• Like 1

Spyglass Miniatures used to sell a rather dainty little Centaur back when they were in business. I believe Heresy Miniatures inherited most of Spyglass's fantasy sculpts and they sell her now. Human figure included for scale purposes (the human's slightly shorter around 25-28mm scale as opposed to the more popular 32-35mm we see a lot of these days). To put it another way both miniatures are on a 30mm lipped base.

She's £6 from Heresy (currently £5.10 on sale). That's resin price. She used to be in metal. Some websites may still list her as a Spyglass Miniature (or possibly another company name beginning with an E who mostly sell miniatures of cars and very briefly had the license for some of the Spyglass sculpts before it lapsed and they all went to Heresy). So have a bit of a look around as someone might have some old stock lying around reduced to clear. In that case other site's copies might be old metal stock at different prices. She's a single part model. Easy to glue on a base and a lovely piece to practice wet blending or dry blending on as you transition between human and horse skin tones.

Of course the disgusting thing about Steve Buddle's Spyglass range is that he not only sculpted the miniatures but did all his own studio paintjobs as well.

238753504_spyglasscentaur1.jpg.a56f9da0c66ed28e0ffe952011c7c89f.jpg

1314656852_spyglasscentaur2.jpg.3819e08eab29d62595e3cc41b4819928.jpg1869924208_spyglasscentaur3.jpg.b8a1a0f7dffa331bceca417f046824e7.jpg

2017390078_spyglasscentaur4.jpg.dec9f93bf438d6592d9e83b684c2872f.jpg

Heresy also have another centaur called Garr'Sher (probably a Shergar reference). He's considerably larger, considerably more expensive, and currently out of stock (although that's probably only temporary). He's a pretty massive centaur barbarian so more of a centrepiece miniature than a regular herd member. He's resin now too (used to be in metal).

resincentaur_002_MONTAGE.thumb.jpg.481225a79fb1fd4bf84052f4986c7ce9.jpg

resincentaur_sizecomparison01.jpg.b26789f4d5c3b95d7213b3acbc2bf996.jpg

Otherworld Miniatures have a handful of old school style Centaur sculpts (priced at £9 each). These are metal figures inspired by, or based on, 1st edition Monster Manual illustrations.

we3a.jpg.4d4d70b9fe4b8a8628afb2757d448654.jpg

we3b.jpg.895795f87e6a55d6784bb83d239ae6b8.jpgwe3c.jpg.0b51255456d35017feea0b6eb2e63364.jpg

we3d.jpg.79e76a348f3c46e365b172a0e507d963.jpg

Edited by Balgin Stondraeg
  • Like 7

More options:  a not cheap and somewhat fragile option is Legends of Signum @ 32mm scale. 

Male

file_7.jpg

Female (mine has an annoying mold line right down the face, so beware)

nika04.jpg

• Like 4

Shadow Forge had some centaurs that were pretty decent - I painted up a bunch for a commission a few years back. (The basis of somebodies Slaaneshi army.)

Looks like Shadow Forge is gone, but the figures can be had through Eureka in Australia,

1fam116.jpg

I remember that they also had figures for Maenads, some of them armed with thursis - not something very common.

The Auld Grump

• Like 1

I was going to mention that Eureka has a US presence but I didn't see that Shadow Forge mini.

eurekaminusa.com  has some Centaurs but be careful since some of them are 18mm.

• Like 2

Thanks everybody!  I have a few of the ones mentioned, and now I know some good places to look for others.