Background Gradient

mkh

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have a photo-editor like Adobe Photoshop, you can photograph your mini in front of a plain white background, and then use the selection tool to highlight the white area of your image, which can then be "erased" or made transparent. This is a handy trick to try if you want to superimpose your mini into an existing image such as a scene from LoTR or a photograph of Stonehenge. ... or even a gradient of your own (which Photoshop can help you create)

Ack I sound like a commercial, but it's a really good software for those of us who enjoy photography and computer graphics. It's not free by any means, but a free 30-day trial download can be gotten online.

Free Photoshop Trial Download

"Powerful" as in "withstands any user's attempts to penetrate its mysteries." :lol:

Or perhaps it's my inability to RTFM. So far, I haven't been able to do much with GIMP. SuSE talks to my camera; if I could reliably edit the images therein, I'd never have to boot into Windows for my Reaper board needs.

OK so call me stupid but how on earth do you make the background transparent and then layer it over the blue to white background? I am trying out PSP 6 at the moment so if anyone can tell me how to do this it would prevent me from tearing out any more of my hair! Cheers.

A friend of mine who does alot of graphics-editing recommended this tutorial site to me.

PSP Tutorials

The main problem most folks face when they first start using either PSP or Adobe Photoshop is getting used to "layers", which is important if you're going to be superimposing images and/or removing and replacing backgrounds.

Just think of your basic image as the background, and each layer is an old-fashioned cellophane transparency, and layers can be removed, resized, rearranged or even partially erased. Erasing part of a layer is what allows you to have your image over a gradient background.

First thing, once you figure out how to navigate between layers (the tutorial there ought to help if you've not quite got the hang of it yet), and promote your background image to a layer.

Ideally, your mini should be photographed against a plain white background so it'll be easier to edit.

There SHOULD be a tool called "magic wand" or "select area" (I forget since it's been a long time since I had PSP). This you use to "select" the white area around the miniature in the layer you are working in. Then, the selected area should be highlighted in a solid semi-opaque colour so you can then deselect or add more to the selected area using your paintbrush tool from the toolbar.

Once you have the area selected that you want to go away, click on "delete selected area (I think that's what it's called) and the selected bits vanish. You can then slide the gradient layer in under your top layer you just edited (but above the bottom layer) and ..TAA-DAA.. you got a pretty gradient background image you can then "flatten" (smush layers into one single image file) and save to the web or to print.

Hope that helps you a bit. I know it took me a few weeks of trials and (alot of) errors to get the hang of it.