SamuraiJack

Awaken Realms Etherfields

1 hour ago, Dan d'Lyon said:

I'm finding Etherfields rather dull.  And I get the idea of a narrative gameplay experience, but I think I'd rather just read a book.

I've enjoyed narrative games of Stuffed Fables and Middara. 

I don't expect Etherfields to have that kind of relationship with the story (from what I've seen, it is more like Kingdom Death with concrete answers).

Actually, the more I look at Etherfields, the more I think it was inspired by Kingdom Death. 

Like, as if someone looked at the beginning of Kingdom Death  (people who don't know their names and history wake up on a hellish dreamscape) and went in a totally different direction. 

On top of that, the Kingdom Death story telling mode (fans scour through every detail looking for clues to even the basic premise of the setting) has become a major game mechanic in Etherfields. 

I honestly think that someone at Awakened Realms was looking at the basics of Kingdom Death and thought that it could have gone a very different direction.

Edited by odinsgrandson

Oh, I definitely see the Kingdom Death influences.  I'm just not sure I could get my friends to play something like this.  Maybe I need to watch more game play.

2 hours ago, Dan d'Lyon said:

Oh, I definitely see the Kingdom Death influences.  I'm just not sure I could get my friends to play something like this.  Maybe I need to watch more game play.

I've been watching Rolling Solo's playthrough, I think it gives a pretty good idea of what the game is like.

19 hours ago, aku-chan said:

I've been watching Rolling Solo's playthrough, I think it gives a pretty good idea of what the game is like.

Thanks.  I'll give that one a look then.

Etherfields Board Game, via @Kickstarter https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/awakenrealms/etherfields-board-game

Etherfields is a new major miniature Board Game by Awaken Realms. We call this totally different BG experience a Dream Crawler – you will dive into surreal and artistically crafted world and follow one of a kind co-op / solo campaign adventure for 1-4 players. Everything you do will change the strange rhythm of the Etherfields dream world, where even the wildest fantasy is possible. 

bfba979c510b356820803097f540fe7e_origina

Gameplay created by the Board Game veteran Michał Oracz (author of This War of Mine: TBG, Neuroshima Hex or The Edge: Dawnfall and many others), will test not only your logical skills but also your intuition, deduction, and emotional intelligence. Develop your character from scratch using advanced deck-building, travel through the dream-world map and delve deeper into chosen locations.

183edde3b33037e4160fa886d99548be_origina
c07d76b248a76ea9371af61c164e91fe_origina
54d2d31a84c2b360f111d7edc389a5f2_origina
b130472639ef4d332f61a4a5fb305f55_origina
cf2069e457e80a1454370b70163fa0c7_origina
92a46b988b45e4a1c3dc8e170272e6fb_origina
d251482a31e89b9a14b143b9388011ef_origina
e99b94a8daea0b1643eb3d10c9e0a8fe_origina
aeb1bdc7d100e82b969ca30f03979636_origina
b4f573f5ee1e8ed7666720517b3b399f_origina
a0952890795750bdea46a32a40aa6607_origina
0aca1ce57f04202a5602bc99aeaaf85e_origina
d6ed0648ad2d42c07db4a5bd8ff92915_origina

“I’m really blown away by my experience with this game so far (…) It’s an amazing well of creativity!” 

- Rahdo

“This one is real puzzler, it’s so vastly different that anything I have played (…) Really excited about this one!”

- Ant Lab Games

"Etherfields is as a surreal and meaningful journey into a dream world that begs to be discovered."

- Man vs Meeple

“Etherfields is an immersive experience. The constant state of discovery and the unknown keeps you glued to the table. The game mechanisms are well integrated and just pull you deeper and deeper into this dream world. A dream world I don’t want to leave!” 

- Rolling solo

"Etherfields is a magical combination of mechanics, card driven story, and an experience that just draws you in and does not want to let go. "

- theMCGuiRE review  

"Creative use of components and fantastic art really delivers on the idea of adventures in the dream world; creating an immersive and evocative experience."

- Ready Steady Play 

„All in all, Etherfields is really, really unique and very, very cool game. Its got intense narrative to it, it got amazing components and amazing artwork!” 

- Crabbok

“From the beginning I liked this a little weird, mysterious, a bit twisted, abstract atmosphere that this game offers.” 

– ON TABLE 

f24614874bbcd68fddf58dfbb91f7d95_origina
8173a80d8461d7188534bd7debb1678c_origina

Amazing gameplay will be accompanied by one of the most striking miniatures and art we have ever made. Our experienced team put their entire artistic skill and hearts into this project, making sure the designs are extremely unique and successfully evoke the fleeting world of dreams. 

Etherfields will be packed with fresh and unique art. Your every skill, action, and even the smallest event will be illustrated with an outstanding craftsmanship. 

55268e6e25cbdfcdcd5fb60458b87c08_origina

Your body has been taken. That's the only thing you know for sure. Your memory has faded away, as you drifted to this strange world of dark dreams. You are an empty vessel now. Looking around, you find masks lying around. Which one will you choose? What story will you follow?

d2e0fb76d3837b4ae49417083cfb4a26_origina

Something is coming, and you can feel it – one dream, consuming all others, leaving a faint smell of poppy seeds. What does the Funeral Witch want of you?

75b1e1d0179b34a34995ed9714dafbd6_origina

Your Heroes will be defined by their memory chests. These skills have some of the most surprising rules you ever witnessed in a Board Game – from literally escaping current reality to your “dream room” for a few turns, up to time modifying time or rewriting the reality. In dreams, no rules are unbreakable!

Throughout the game, you will very often modify your chest with amazing new cards, but also with curses or filters.

dc749ef2e016d7f8a4cdf3bfabcd0d71_origina

Every interaction you will have in this strange world leaves a mark – and may lead to surprising results, as normal rules do not apply in Etherfields. You've managed to finally extinguish the ever-burning Lighthouse in Tideless Port?  This may help you find that key you have been looking for, but now Umbrageous will hunt you down through other dreams.

1499ad8f5c28f9d00d6da10c2a46eea5_origina

During the game, fighting will never be your only option. Quite often it might actually be the worst option, as in dreams everyone you kill may come back, angrier and weirder. Instead, all characters may interact on two other levels – through cheating or utilizing their perception.

4e95ff0e79386ace41870386e6aa3c36_origina

Etherfields will test you in many different ways: secret rules that you can discover or deduce by looking closely on the map; drafting cards based on art or name only; guessing the intentions of entities you meet by considering what they do. 

Big, mind-melting concepts are the fuel of Etherfields, and we can't wait for you to discover them!  

b7d7d4c8259d0cd7237dec647a1a7969_origina

There is already a thread for this.

I dropped this one too.  Watched one of the Rolling Solo scenario play through videos (part 4, I believe) and was pretty much bored through the whole thing.  Yes, there can be a sense of discovery, but the "monster" was a non-factor throughout the entire scenario.

Edited by Dan d'Lyon

16 minutes ago, Dan d'Lyon said:

There is already a thread for this.

I dropped this one too.  Watched one of the Rolling Solo scenario play through videos (part 4, I believe) and was pretty much bored through the whole thing.  Yes, there can be a sense of discovery, but the "monster" was a non-factor throughout the entire scenario.

That was the library encounter wasn't it? Yeah, didn't work at all for solo play, way too easy. 

Oddly enough, the previous video had a random encounter that seemed way too hard for one person (I think the Rolling Solo guy would have lost had he not read a rule wrong).

I'm still in for now, because it does look like a really interesting game, but I am questioning how well it'll work for a solo player in the long run.

3 hours ago, SamuraiJack said:

Threads merged

My bad. I am late to the party on this one.

I thought this looked great from the images and the video, but it sounds like I need to go watch some gameplay videos.

BGG review noted the abstract icon matching as skill checks. "I need two reds and only have greens and yellows" sorta thing.

Bones V and Secret Weapon Miniatures coming up soon enough, so I'm good. 

19 hours ago, Talae said:

I thought this looked great from the images and the video, but it sounds like I need to go watch some gameplay videos.

I would definitely recommend watching some game play before you decide.  To me, it's an interesting idea with really lackluster mechanics.  For how they are billing this as a dreamscape, anything should be possible.  But as Ced described, it's more of a "I need this color, but only have other colors.  Guess I'll just end my turn" kind of thing.

Oh, and Aku-Chan...yes, it was the library encounter.  Zzzzzzzz....

I've dropped down to £1 on this one now.

Watching Rolling Solos latest encounter play through did little to reassure my concerns about how well the game worked (it wasn't the snoozefest the library encounter was, but it appeared to be stupidly difficult unless you did just the right thing at just the right time, or you died and let it reset to really, really easy mode).

I'm going back to my original plan of buying a couple snazzy resin minis in the pledge manager.