Yeah, the contrast paints don't do vehicles too well. with all the flat panels. For best results, use vertical, downward strokes with your brush.

5 hours ago, lowlylowlycook said:

Has anyone tried these on something scaly?  Like a dragon?

Sorta?

IMG_0257.thumb.jpeg.b1ffbcfc6ca8536d5c9b9adc6f01de75.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Vince Venturella just made a pretty exhaustive video guide of Citadel Contrast Paints. It's worth a look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jla40wPw7_U

Edited by Cicciopiu

Is this product meant to be used over a base coat of paint?  I picked up 3 colors yesterday, a red, a yellow, and a green.  So far, on primed Bones I'm not getting good adhesion.  I'm using it straight out of the bottle and it's going on like thinned paint and beading up like crazy.  Am I doing it wrong? 

32 minutes ago, Inarah said:

Is this product meant to be used over a base coat of paint?  I picked up 3 colors yesterday, a red, a yellow, and a green.  So far, on primed Bones I'm not getting good adhesion.  I'm using it straight out of the bottle and it's going on like thinned paint and beading up like crazy.  Am I doing it wrong? 

Yeah, they are basically designed to go over a white or off-white base coat that is either gloss or satin.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, lowlylowlycook said:

Yeah, they are basically designed to go over a white or off-white base coat that is either gloss or satin.  

Ah.  If I have to paint them first then the product isn't really saving me any time.  I was hoping they'd work right on primer. 

I got to try some of these paints at a paint-and-take on Free RPG Day last month.  I really liked the Dark Angels Red and Iyanden Yellow, but didn’t like the darker colors like Dark Angels Green and Ultramarines Blue.

Has anyone tried some of the lighter contrast paints over a silver metallic base coat?  I’d like to see what the results are.

3 minutes ago, Grumpy Cave Bear said:

I got to try some of these paints at a paint-and-take on Free RPG Day last month.  I really liked the Dark Angels Red and Iyanden Yellow, but didn’t like the darker colors like Dark Angels Green and Ultramarines Blue.

Has anyone tried some of the lighter contrast paints over a silver metallic base coat?  I’d like to see what the results are.

I'll be trying that exact thing on some CAV cockpits once I get a chance.

8 minutes ago, Inarah said:

Ah.  If I have to paint them first then the product isn't really saving me any time.  I was hoping they'd work right on primer. 

Huh, I missed the word "primed" in "primed bones".

With the right primer, it should work.

20 hours ago, Inarah said:

What seems to matter is the smoothness of the primer or base coat. 

Worst case, you just airbrush on some varnist or somethng else shiny first.

I got 2 of the 3 paints I ordered, today...

Guilliman flesh is sold out and they don't get stock in until at least the 14th.  

Everyone is sold out on most of the paints 

Even GW themselves are sold out. The only ones having any real stock seems to the scalpers.

44 minutes ago, Gadgetman! said:

What seems to matter is the smoothness of the primer or base coat. 

Worst case, you just airbrush on some varnist or somethng else shiny first.

I got 2 of the 3 paints I ordered, today...

Guilliman flesh is sold out and they don't get stock in until at least the 14th.  

Everyone is sold out on most of the paints 

Even GW themselves are sold out. The only ones having any real stock seems to the scalpers.

This is exactly why I'm not even trying to check them out until the buzz wears off.  Heck, I'm still figuring out how to paint things with traditional paints!

5 minutes ago, Rignes said:

This is exactly why I'm not even trying to check them out until the buzz wears off.  Heck, I'm still figuring out how to paint things with traditional paints!

With that attitude we'd almost belive you're sane or something...  

I want the flesh colour because that's something that's causing me all kinds of grief. 

• Like 1

I played with them a little more last night. They work fine as washes over paint.  From what I've seen/read there are dark dark ones and paler pastel ones, so you'll get different effects from the two.  Someone else said it first, but they remind me a LOT of "magic wash" made with a certain floor polish in the old days. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Gadgetman! said:

With that attitude we'd almost belive you're sane or something...  

I want the flesh colour because that's something that's causing me all kinds of grief. 

I bought the flesh triads and they seem to work well.  I really like the Tanned Skin triad.   I kind of wish the shadow was a little darker for the fair skin triad though.  I haven't tried the dark skin triad yet.

I recently picked up Reikland Fleshshade from Citadel (obviously) that I want to try out too.  Flesh and Eye vex me the most out of everything so far.

• Like 1