Places To Eat Near Reapercon

Thought I would make a post people could look at with a list of places to eat in case anyone wanted the information.  Last year we had food from a place called The Fat Shack it was really good and they deliver to the hotel through doordash until about 2am.  There is a pizza place called Double Daves that also delivers to the hotel and they were excellent then there's barley and board which is fairly close as well as an in and out burger.  These are the places me and the wife ate last year all were wonderful and reasonable, if anyone would like to add anything different to the list feel free I hope this helps!

• Like 3

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The hotel restaurant is Houlihan's and was decent.

There's a Cheddar's Scratch Kitchen pretty close to the hotel.  There's a new IHOP also pretty close to the hotel.

Up near the main road (US 380, W University DR), about half a mile from the hotel, there's In-N-Out Burger, Chipotle, Raising Cane's, and Cotton Patch Cafe.

Across the road, there's a bunch of stuff, including Cowboy Chicken, El Pollo Loco, Whataburger, Taco Cabana, and Torchy's Tacos.

Of these, the only places I ate at last year were Houlihan's, Cheddar's Scratch Kitchen, In-N-Out Burger, and Raising Cane's.  (Raising Cane's was my favorite of the four but I have a weakness for boneless fried chicken.)

• Like 2

Wife and I ate at Villa Grande that’s north and across the street from Raising Cane’s and the Cotton Patch Cafe. It was a good sit down Mexican place. Are the leftovers for lunch the next day. 

For people who are more adventurous and have both transportation and the time, at Old Denton Road and the George Bush Turnpike is an Asian area (Daiso Japan, which is a dollar, er, 100 yen, store in Japan, is our draw there). We’ve eaten at both the Gen Korean BBQ (propane burner in the table, cook the meats yourself) and Kura Revolving Sushi Bar (sushi comes by on a conveyer belt and orders via trains). I would recommend both for a little taste of Japanese style dining. Both restaurant styles are something we always take in when we go see her family in Tokyo. Plus the discount store, book store, and Asian groceries are fun to go through.

• Like 7

13 hours ago, Xiwo Xerase said:

(Raising Cane's was my favorite of the four but I have a weakness for boneless fried chicken.)

Cane's is one of my favourite fast food places. Fortunately, they're local to me so while we hadn't meant to get any food at Reapercon that we can easily get here, we did still end up getting Cane's one night because it's just so good. 

If you go to Cheddar's, which I do recommend, make sure you get the Honey Butter Croissants. The closest Cheddar's here is an hour away, so I've been looking forward to getting those croissants again at Reapercon.

@Doug Sundseth and @buglips*the*goblin - what was the Italian place we went to? The food was really good there and it wasn't too far of a drive, but definitely a drive.

51 minutes ago, Pegazus said:

For people who are more adventurous and have both transportation and the time, at Old Denton Road and the George Bush Turnpike is an Asian area (Daiso Japan, which is a dollar, er, 100 yen, store in Japan, is our draw there). We’ve eaten at both the Gen Korean BBQ (propane burner in the table, cook the meats yourself) and Kura Revolving Sushi Bar (sushi comes by on a conveyer belt and orders via trains).

Ooh, I've always wanted to check out a Daiso Japan. But what I would most like is to go to a conveyor belt sushi place. :wub: Are there other dishes served there that aren't sushi for certain goblins that prefer their food to be cooked? Or will I need to make a Taco Bell run immediately afterwards? ::P:

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, Guindyloo said:

If you go to Cheddar's, which I do recommend, make sure you get the Honey Butter Croissants. The closest Cheddar's here is an hour away, so I've been looking forward to getting those croissants again at Reapercon.

14 hours ago, Xiwo Xerase said:

There's a Cheddar's Scratch Kitchen pretty close to the hotel.

Raising Cane's was my favorite of the four but I have a weakness for boneless fried chicken.

I've never been to a Cheddars before, but it looks like that may be in my future. ... And boneless fried chicken sounds delicious. 

All this food talk is making me hungry.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Guindyloo said:

@Doug Sundseth and @buglips*the*goblin - what was the Italian place we went to? The food was really good there and it wasn't too far of a drive, but definitely a drive.

Luigi's. (I just found it on the map.)

I'm hoping to be able to go out there again this year. Quite good and not unreasonable prices.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Doug Sundseth said:

Luigi's. (I just found it on the map.)

I'm hoping to be able to go out there again this year. Quite good and not unreasonable prices.

I don't know if we'll go again this year, but I can confirm that the food was good and the portions very generous last year.  And you do need a car to get there. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Guindyloo said:

Ooh, I've always wanted to check out a Daiso Japan. But what I would most like is to go to a conveyor belt sushi place. :wub: Are there other dishes served there that aren't sushi for certain goblins that prefer their food to be cooked? Or will I need to make a Taco Bell run immediately afterwards? ::P:

Well, there’s usually tempura. Looks like they have a new item, shibroccolio*** salmon skin which sounds very much like a goblin dish. But let me look to be sure...

Salmon skin hand rolls, avocado rolls, eel (cooked) hand rolls, seared beef nigiri, eel nigiri, umami oil seared beef nigiri, beef ojyu (beef and rice dish), tonkotsu (pork) ramen, crispy squid, shoyu ramen, chicken gyoza (potstickers, steamed meat dumplings), soft shell crab tempura, shrimp tempura, yellowtail cheek (one of wife’s favorites), fried takoyaki (octopus balls I think?), beef udon...

I think that would keep a goblin occupied, and several I’m surprised aren’t staples of goblin cuisine already. Huh. Never noticed that before. Bit funny, but I just had to pretend I was ordering for my kids when they were single digits old and spotted everything they would eat. Not that @buglips*the*goblin has a little kid’s tastes or anything. I would never imply or insinuate that he’s anything other than a goblin’s goblin, with massive feets of stinksth.

***shibroccolio?!?! Hahahahah... shi-shi-to chili peppers. 

Edited by Pegazus
  • Haha 5

7 hours ago, Guindyloo said:

We really enjoyed Cheddar's.  Although the first time we went there (Friday, dinner, I think) we ended up walking back and going to Houlihan's due to the local dinner rush and walked away.  We went back Saturday Lunch and got right in.  

Speaking of Houlihan's, we ended up eating there ... ahem ... 4 times in a row for dinner.  Unintended, but it was convenient for the group dinners we (very happily) got pulled into.  We ate something different each time, their bartenders were pretty good (and got a great recommendation for a good Scotch), and service was consistent each night.  While I can't recommend anyone eat at any chain restaurant 4 nights in a row (and hope to not repeat this year given some of the great options above), I can say that we did pretty well with it.

This year we're hoping to stock some goodies in the room for lunches and take our food bill down a bit, and move around a little more for dinners.

• Like 4