• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Mutilatedlips said:

Love the base! The couple of friends I paint for would kill me if I did anything like that and I have been itching to do so. 

For some gaming purpose,  they don't like anything based high up.

It’s polystyrene painted over with black craft paint and mod podge and then highlighted. I super glued some metal washers on the bottom to keep it from tipping. The shape of my faux stone is a downward triangle to give a false sense of a heightened perspective. 

Crazy bases are fun. Let loose!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I`m also in love with all this different tones of purple you used here. Looks really great and I`m a fan of the base too ::D: To paint the crystal ball with metallics was an intresting idea too. I`ve tried crystal balls already with normal acrylics, but it anyhow always looked rather like a stone or something like that. I think yours look really good. I will that in mind. Good job!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By R2ED
      One of the others I plucked out of the Bones 4 set.  It looked fun, so I grabbed it.

Battle Report!

Wins:
      * Armor was a fun use of blues added in.  I watched Dr. Faust doing something similar to create some really cool effects.  Mine obviously not as good, but I think it was alright.
      * The skin was a big win for me.  I did it as a nice, slow build up and took my time with laying it up.  It worked great on her face.
      *  I was getting lost in the tid bits on her belt, but just used browns and then hlghlighted them up.  It actually worked out pretty well.  Better than I intended.
      *  Cape was a slight win, but not perfect.  
      *  Hair went better this time, but I'm still having a hard time pointing out where the light hights on the curved areas.  

Misses:
      *  NMM on swords.  I tried it again and then failed.  Wiped it out and covered it up with metallic. 
      * Flower should have been left with orange color and white tips, but I went too far by connecting the tips across.  It lost the deail going with more white.  Should have stopped.
      * I started using purple ink to separate the plates, but it just wasn't working.  I think I need to do more blacklining and not worry about adding in colors.  

Overall, she looks good.  The win here was the face and some of the highlights. 

Progress photo (nearly last photo before finishing it off)

• By Krassling
      I am Working on my Adventuring kids. I liked the idea of having these Minis for my Kids.
      Currently it is the thief. Well, my Girls dont like thieves so much, so it will be more something else. We will see.

I startet with some green. Looked a little scary. 

• By R2ED
      Here we go with another Nagendra.  Trying new colors each time I do them to try and have some fun with scales.  What I need to do on my next one is some kind of combination with yellow.  Something more challenging to work with to make it fun (or completely ruin it).  

BATTLE REPORT!

Wins:
      * Combo of golds and brown seemed to do alright.
      *  Felt brave enough to use an oil wash this time.  It's frustrating because I'm always afraid it's going to ruin the work I put in, but at the same time, the results could be awesome.  The wash is on the scales, and the shield.  I tried it on the sword, but it didn't lay into the lettering strong enough.
      *  The scales were good after the oil wash but needed a 'pop'. I went back and hit diagonally adjacent scales with a cream color.  Gave it a cool pattern without overwhelming the look.  I did my last one with an organic here or there approach.  This was more pattern driven.  Doing something like a diamond back would be a challenge worth doing.

Misses:
      *  The sword did not come out as I had hoped.  It looks washed out and the runes on it are less than ideal.  Could use some fix ideas for this.
      *  The shield also is missing...something.  I don't know what it is, but there's nothing really cool about it.
      *  Eyes are so small on this model it's hard to do anything fun.  I made them black with yellow slits, but you can't really see them due to the size.  Anyone else struggle with eyes that are too small to really detail?  Or have a solution worth trying?
      *  This one just didn't have the same pop effect I'd hoped for.  I'm not sure what's mising, but it's something.

• By R2ED
      Got another one of these simple townsfolk done.  I find they make a great opening salvo for the weekend before getting rolling.  They are more or less my practice pieces to try a few things before getting going.  Here he is - the farmer and his hoe.

BATTLE REPORT!

Wins:
      *  Keeping the palette very simple:Brown, Orange, Cream, Flesh - worked well.
      *  Washes of Nuln oil on the shirt, pants, hood.  Looks good and helped dull the colors like work clothes.
      *  Used Agrax on the leggings and the shoes and the hoe to give a more dirty apperance.  
      *  I used a mix of buff and white streaks, then washed it with Agrax to give the wood appearance.  Not bad.
      *  Flesh was Rosy Shadow - why I used that color, I have no idea - and I did a fleshwash on it.  Then brought it back up with rosy shadow, then again did it with a little added buff.  

Misses:
      *  I really want to learn how to wood grain.  I can't figure it out or do it well and need some help there.  
      *  I also am not a fan of this guy's skin.  I still don't get how to use the triads really well.  Or which skin tone to use for which kind of character.  It's why I like doing beasts or fantastical creatures because skin isn't really a concern.  Could use direction here if anyone is open.
      *  Didn't want to use metal colors, so I just did a black to white to grey fade on the working end of the hoe.  Meh.
      *  The highlights I went back in on the leggings, hood, and shirt are a bit much.  Almost look washed out.  Not sure what went wrong going back over the same areas with the colors after washing, but oh well.

For basing this guy - open to ideas.  I'm thinking just a simple 1" base and nothing complicated.  I'll do whatever someone suggests first.  

• By R2ED
      This one is a real devil to paint.  
      I got the body down and feel the colors there all make sense for a fire demon.  But the wings...I can't figure out what to do with them.  I was thinking to make them the feature and brighten them up, but the more I look at it the more I think the face and body are the focus.  Needing some help here.

BATTLE REPORT!

Wins:
      * Another round of dry brushing success!  Did a scarlet red, to flat red, to clear orange dry brush triad.  
      *  Used clear orange filter to bring up the areas of highlight and the subtle change looks really good and helps increase contrast.
      *  Horns seem to work pretty good with a oragnge/buff/white mix transitioning up.  
      *  Dry brushing the gold kept it a cooler color rather than a overwhelming "bam" gold look.  I used a yellow+gold mix to highlight the edge of the sword, but in looking at the photo I may need to increase this.
      * Vein on the right bicep has a purple hue I added.  I thought it was cool.

Misses:
      *  I got pretty far along and then realized I have no idea how I want to do the wings.  I need help!  I need direction on the bone sections versus the wing membrane.  
      *  The left calf got a bit too healthy of a helping of orange filter.  
      *  The horns on his head don't seem to fit as well, but it's growing on me slowly.
      *   Tried putting yellow eyes.  Didn't like it.  Then tried doing yellow with purple dots.  Didn't like it.  Then tried yellow with white slits.  Meh.
      *  Used a filter around the eyes with yellow to give a glowing effect, but it was way too overpowering and ended up making him a devil raccoon.  Not the intended effect.  Died it back down with red, but still stands out a little weird.

I've got 2 more in this series and want to give them some consistency.  I was thinking the female devil I would do a purple/red mix.  As always, open to some ideas.  

If you're going to give feedback, I'd love some ideas on a diorama I could do with the three completed devils.

• Who's Online   22 Members, 1 Anonymous, 42 Guests (See full list)