Sign in to follow this  
gabrielcc

Stripping paint from reaper bones 4

Hey guys,

I've started painting my reaper bones 4 Kickstarter and I'm curious what should I use to strip the paint (for the inevitable mistakes I'm gonna make)? 

I've tried a nail polish remover without acetone (as seen on a thread regarding striping paint on reaper bones) and after 30 minutes, the plastic is a lot softer.

Not from the USA and I don't have access to the green universal cleaner everybody mentions.

Thanks,

Gabriel

Simple green looks to be mostly sodium citrate with a surfactant. (Here's the SDS: https://cdn.simplegreen.com/downloads/SDS_EN-US_SimpleGreenAllPurposeCleaner.pdf)

For reference, Purple Power looks much nastier: (http://www.supercoproducts.com/SDS/SDS-Purple-Power.pdf) but has been suggested as well.

You might be able to compare the safety data sheets of the products available to you with those to get a better idea of what's both local and similar.

Pine oil cleaners work pretty well on acrylic paints and don't seem to cause damage in the short (a day or two) term.

And I've had a little luck with isopropyl alcohol, which actually hardens softer Bones figures.

Every product I've tried requires at least a bit of scrubbing. And most will leave a residue of paint behind, but as long as there's no texture, that shouldn't really be significant.

• Like 2

Are you talking about plastic and tin miniatures? If "yes" I can recommend "Sterillium" this is an alcohol-based disinfectand for the hands. You should get it in each pharmacy. Fill it into a glas with a lid so that you can close it. Use enough of it for to completely cover the miniature. After a few hours (2-3 hours), take the miniature out of the Sterillium, clean it with an old toothbrush and with water. Can`t say if it works for resin too, but for plastic and tin miniatures it works well. Oh and welcome by the way ::D:

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, vhaidra said:

Are you talking about plastic and tin miniatures? If "yes" I can recommend "Sterillium" this is an alcohol-based disinfectand for the hands. You should get it in each pharmacy. Fill it into a glas with a lid so that you can close it. Use enough of it for to completely cover the miniature. After a few hours (2-3 hours), take the miniature out of the Sterillium, clean it with an old toothbrush and with water. Can`t say if it works for resin too, but for plastic and tin miniatures it works well. Oh and welcome by the way ::D:

Be careful with that product. According to the SDS (https://www.medline.com/media/assets/pdf/sterillium-rub-MSDS.pdf), it's an ethanol-acetone product. And acetone is a plastic solvent.

Make sure you remove plastic miniatures promptly and clean them thoroughly.

• Like 1

@Doug Sundseth: I guess we don`t mean the same. Someone said that I may not post links to shop sites here in the forum so I can`t show you what exactly I mean. But what I mean is just alcohol. No aceton into it at all.

The ingredients of the one I mean are: Propan-2-ol, Propan-1-ol, Mecetroniumetilsulfat

Nobody ever recognized that it harms plastic or tin. The germans almost all use it for stripping off paints from their minis and no one ever complained about damages of the figures. Don`t know if there are different types of "Sterilium" I only know the german version, it just calls "Sterillium" and it is just alcohol.

• Like 2

If using Purple Power, best to go with actual Castrol Super Clean. PP is a knockoff brand that isn't too reliable, I've stripped enamel & lacquer spray paint off model car bodies with CSC in the past. You definitely need to use gloves as the stuff will dry your hands like there is no tomorrow. Also from what some of the modeler friends I have, it'll eat the skin off yah as well.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Cicciopiu said:

You can just use Isopropyl alcohol, it's just a matter of minutes :)

Thanks!!! I have never tried this although I have got a small amount of Isopropyl alcohol, but I use it for sculpting and never had the idea to use it for stripping off paints too. I`m working as a carer for disabled people and so I have got tons of this sterillium I have meantioned and so I use this. But good hint, I`ll keep this in mind. 

• Like 1

Simple green is more than just citrate. The Ethoxylates the active ingredient. Its the same reason that brake fluid also works (non-silicone brake fluid is ethoxylate based).

I've found simple green to be the safest long term soaking stripper. It will remove enamel paint, loosen super glue and epoxy, and strip acrylics. Safe for metal, plastic, and resin.

Purple power is acidic and will pit metal figures. Pinesol works okay, but will eventually dissolve plastics and soften resins. It will also pit and darken metals.

W&N brush cleaner is super fast against acrylic but will eventually dissolve plastics.

For scrubbing I like using old electric toothbrushes. Sonicare works  great and they now have cheaper battery powered models.

29 minutes ago, Crusoe the Painter said:

Simple green is more than just citrate.

On 6/11/2019 at 8:47 AM, Doug Sundseth said:

Simple green looks to be mostly sodium citrate with a surfactant.

Indeed.

Spoiler

(Ethoxylate is a surfactant.)