Sign in to follow this  
Pingo

Beautifully preserved giant wolf’s head discovered in Siberian permafrost

https://siberiantimes.com/science/casestudy/news/still-snarling-after-40000-years-a-giant-pleistocene-wolf-discovered-in-yakutia/

The intact head of a gigantic wolf has been discovered in Siberian permafrost. The head is 40cm long, as large as a modern donkey’s head (fully half the body length of a modern wolf!)

The astonishing discovery was announced in Tokyo, Japan, during the opening of a grandiose Woolly Mammoth exhibition organised by Yakutian and Japanese scientists. 

The head was dated older than 40,000 years by Japanese scientists.

Scientists at the Swedish Museum of Natural History will examine the Pleistocene predator’s DNA.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

If I found that head as is, I almost would've believed it was some kind of bear. But those 3D scans do show it to be canine after all.

• Like 5

I just posted a link to the UK telegraph in the random thread before I saw this thread.

Awesome isn't it?

40.000 years old and preserved, think about meeting one alive.

I find this very cool, right up to par with the mummified dinosaur they found last year.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pingo said:

The intact head of a gigantic wolf has been discovered in Siberian permafrost. 

A) We get to move Dire Wolf out of the fantasy category and into the mundane/natural category. 

B) So the whole beast would have been about 1.6 meters long? (160cm). I guess Great Danes and Great Pyrenees come by their size honestly..?..the possibility is coded for in the original canine genome. 

My question is: What took its head off:blink:

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, TGP said:

A) We get to move Dire Wolf out of the fantasy category and into the mundane/natural category. 

B) So the whole beast would have been about 1.6 meters long? (160cm). I guess Great Danes and Great Pyrenees come by their size honestly..?..the possibility is coded for in the original canine genome. 

My question is: What took its head off:blink:

It's very likely that the whole wolf was buried in the mud and only the head surfaced now after the permafrost there melted.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, TGP said:

Dire wolves predate fantasy RPGs. They were already known from Pleistocene skulls. I remember copying pictures of them out of books when I was little.

The habit of adding "dire" to any critter to mean "big," now, that's purely fantasy RPG, and was clearly based on dire wolves.

• Like 6

M.E.O.W. Press Rease:

We have no responsibility for the actions of our ancestors, the Sabretooths for any actions they have taken in the distant past. The unfounded rumors that we still have some as Special Guards in our Headquarters are completely unfounded and the result of WOOF propaganda. [Please ignore the 200 pound litterboxes]

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

21 hours ago, NebulousMissy said:

Add it to the wall

Dire_Wolf_Skulls_La_Brea_2005-08-01-1200

That really is a neat installation. Glad I made it a priority when I went to LA.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Crowley said:

That really is a neat installation. Glad I made it a priority when I went to LA.

So what is this wall exactly?

I hope it’s not all the WOOF operatives dumb enough to fall into the La Brea tar pits or something. 

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, TGP said:

I hope it’s not all the WOOF operatives dumb enough to fall into the La Brea tar pits or something. 

Wall of dire wolf skulls at the La Brea tar pits museum...

Edited by Crowley
Autocorrupt
  • Haha 4

57 minutes ago, Crowley said:
1 hour ago, TGP said:

Wall of dire wolf skills at the La Brea tar pits museum...

If a wolf fell into a tar pit it’s SKILLS are questionable.  ::D:  It may be Dire but Skilled is a whole other deal. 

Could be that’s a wall of failed WOOF operative candidates. 

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, TGP said:

Why yes it IS (or was) WOOF operatives who fell into the Pits. Nowhere near all of them. There's usually 400 on that wall. The collection holds lots of fat vultures too. Those bones are delicate.

Any dark-stained brown Ice Age bone you happen to see in a collection is most likely a La Brea bone. Not even a fossil, they're still just bones with DNA and everything. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, TGP said:

It's a saber tooth tiger's trophy collection.

They just had to put a "Free Mammoth Bacon" sign over the tar pits, and wait.

• Haha 6