Sign in to follow this  
NyarlaBcn

Need advise: sticky resin minis. Has anyone worked with Gale force nine?

I've just received The Xanathar from Gale Force Nine minis; after unboxing, I realised something that by previous experiences I know it can be problematic.

Some of the resin parts seem to be sticky; sticky patina, I don't know why. The photo may show it or may not, I'm not the best with a camera. Photos show sticky parts & normal ones to see the difference. I was planning to wash it with dish cleaner soap and a small soft brush. 

Do you people think it will be enough? Does anyone know why does this happen? 

Previously I had a similar issue with minis from Scibor: those looked nice just out from the box, I cleaned them with soap & water, but after priming the primer was also sticky acquired a sticky texture. 

That's why I prefer metal minis... ultimately resin gives SO much work

20190612_150204.jpg

20190612_150211.jpg

Edited by NyarlaBcn
  • Like 1

The bottom of that base doesn't look like it was a quality cast. I would be concerned that you have some uncured resin on the surface of the pieces. If that's the case, I wouldn't know how to fix it other than to contact the manufacturer.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Doug Sundseth said:

The bottom of that base doesn't look like it was a quality cast. I would be concerned that you have some uncured resin on the surface of the pieces. If that's the case, I wouldn't know how to fix it other than to contact the manufacturer.

:( If that's so, I don't hold great expectations about what they may tell me. Gf9 isn't imo a great manufacturer: most of their minis look terrible and cheap despite being actually quite expensive. 

I'll contact them - I already did it actually - but... I'm not holding my breath. 

If the issue if uncured resin (not sure what it means), what can I expect? 

I mean, if I prime it and paint it... will the paint fall out, or something like that? Will I have a bad texture? 

If I don't get any solution from them, I may try to just work with what I have if there's not another solution... I mean, this mini is about 30€, more than 40 with shippment costs. I can't toss it aside :( 

Edited by NyarlaBcn

1 minute ago, NyarlaBcn said:

:( If that's so, I don't hold great expectations about what they may tell me. Gf9 isn't imo a great manufacturer: most of their minis look terrible and cheap despite being actually quite expensive. 

I'll contact them - I already did it actually - but... I'm not holding my breath. 

If the issue if uncured resin (not sure what it means), what can I expect? 

I mean, if I prime it and paint it... will the paint fall out, or something like that? Will I have a bad texture? 

If I don't get any solution from them, I may try to just work with what I have if there's not another solution... 

Resin miniatures are made from a two-part mix that cures into plastic. If you have too much of one of the parts, the piece can fail to turn completely into plastic, leaving behind a residue of the part that there is too much of.

If they don't get back to you (and you don't want to or can't reasonably follow up with a more forceful demand), you could try using something like isopropyl alcohol or lighter fluid to rinse off the residue. I would definitely not try to paint it while it's still sticky, but if you can't figure anything out, I suppose you couldn't harm anything that isn't already in a questionable condition.

• Like 2

Oks, I will try that. 

Looking up on google, I've found that apparently it could be not an issue with my miniature: but with each an every casting of that character. On a video of an unboxing on youtube the youtuber mentions that the same parts I have an issue with are "shiny" as opposed to the mate tone of the other ones. If his are sticky or not, I don't know, but I suspect it may depend on just the storage conditions (temperature, etc) that may make it also sticky. If it makes sense. 

A forceful demand... well, GF9 is, I think, either on Australia or New Zealand, can't remember. I can push to a certain degree. Ultimately I suspect it will depend on their good will, and even with that, if the solution is "send it back to us" and includes me paying for the shippment, I won't do it given it will cost close as much as a new mini. 

With Scibor, a brand that nowadays I try to avoid, I did that: after priming, it acquired a sticky coat. Some users - can't remember if it was here in this forum - suggested it was due to bad quality resin reacting to the agressive products of a spray primer: so I peeled off the sticky primer coat with alcohol and a brush and primed with a brush primer, without further issue. 

I may try that here. 

Thank you so much for your advise! 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

I'm exploring that possibility right now :( 

But I bought it from a retailer on ebay; he doesn't accept devolutions. I know I have the right to ask for one if the product is defective, so first I needed to determine if it was indeed defective. I thought contacting with the manufacturer will be a good idea too, since maybe they can send me replacements for this specific parts. 

Even if I sent it back to the seller, my ideal solution will be to receive another one: it's a cool mini, I love beholders, and there's not a lot of them on any miniature catalogue. If, apparently, it's an issue all the castings of this mini have... then I'm not sure what to do. If it just requires more work but it's not an impossible job to make it look good, or to remove the stickyness... I may prefer to keep it and try it instead of sending the mini back and having none. 

Edited by NyarlaBcn
  • Like 3

Resins cure by free radical polymerization.

Assuming perhaps its left over part of the resin that has come to the surface you can try washing with 70% rubbing alcohol then soap and water.

Another option is maybe try to drive the reaction to completion? This is a suggestion from a chemistry perspective, I have not tried it, ymmv.

You could try dipping the pieces in hot water, with the hope the heat helps finish the cure.

You could try a soak in hydrogen peroxide or even warm water + oxyclean. This might help tighten up the polymerization of the resin. Another option would be hot-warm water with baking soda in it. The idea here is either to cleave off the partially reacted resin molecules, or force the reaction to completion via peroxide radicals.

• Like 3