• Optionally enter a message with your report.

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By R2ED
      I love me some weekend painting! 

Got another one from the 90's batch of Ral Partha's.  This one is a Drow Elf.  Was feeling like trying some of the darker skin tones after watching another RVE on it.  Feels pretty good!

BATTLE REPORT!

Wins:
      * Skin combo: Black Brown, Black Red, Orange Red.  Used in conjunction with one another.  The highlights are still on the darker side, but you can still make out muscle and shape.  Win!
      *  Used copper/brown combo to bring this guy to life.  Feels very warm, but still needs some kind of "pop" color somewhere.  I tried to make that happen on the fletchings on the bolts, but feels like it needs more.
      *  Gradient work on the weapon.  I was trying to think of it radiating heat, since this is the underdark afterall.  I wasn't able to pull off a glowing effect or OSL, but it seems like it works.  
      *  The face - getting the mustache, side burns, and eyes to really pop was fun.  I feel VERY happy about the eyes.  

Misses:
      *  Not wild about the accessories colors.  
      *  Questioning the color chosen for the sword.
      *  Was messing around a few times on what parts were wood, metal, or otherwise on the crossbow.  Meh.
      *  Hair is still an area I struggle with.  I did 3 layers on this one.  Deep grey, light grey, white.  I feel it comes out strong, but not super good on showing definition or volume in the hair. 

Always open to any feedback anyone has.
      I'm also curious to think of what kind of base to put this guy on.  Any thoughts?

• By R2ED
      Gotta love the weekend.  Time to get caught up on some minis!

This particular mini is sentimental to me.  I had picked them up back in 1990 when I was just finding my way with painting.  Sadly, it would only be a few years before I found sports and other things to occupy my time and left the hobby for 30 years.  

30 years later, though I'm rearing to go!  My parents send these minis to me that they found at the old house and I happily take them.  A few were somewhat painted and a few were only primed.  This is one that was somewhat painted, but nothing I felt reluctant about stripping.  That said, let's get to the painting!

Battle Report!

Wins:
      * Stripped this metal model right down to the bare metal with the ol LA Cleaner.  Holy smokes - that stuff eats paint like a champ.  Leave it in there for a few days and it is practically falling off.  Major win to discover this very inexpensive and effective method.
      * Primed this model with Stynylrez Black and zenithal with DR White ink.  Worked out well, but still have some learning to do with the new airbrush (Badger 105)
      *  The primer and ink dries quickly allowing for work immediately after priming.  Yay!
      *  Once again learning my new training gained from RVE with using white, I figure this tunic would be perfect for a Paladin.  Using dark grey, then mid grey, and finally light grey to a white highlight.  It worked great and looks believable.  However, there is still a bit more blending I could learn going from dark to light.  For this being the 2nd one to test this method on only hours within learning it - Win!
      *  Tested a gradient on the sword.  Since my confidence was high and I was feeling saucy, I wanted to give a gradient a test.  I've often wanted to try doing something else with metal, but this seemed like a nice one to try.  I think the dark to light worked well on the blades.  This is only the first of many steps to getting to NMM, but it's a good start.
      *  Used a aluminum color for the chain mail, then shaded it with GW Drakenshade. I kind of like the blue tint and nice use of it being like a 'blue steel' look.  Dig.  
      *  Going light on metals was definitely the way to go.

Misses:
      * Face still feels a little weak.  Used a Flat Flesh up to Pale Skin with two gradients in between.  It still feels spotty.
      *  With the lips I tried adding some warmth to them with a light red glaze.  Meh...
      *  Swords and dagger after I did them, I realized don't have the same direction in their gradient.  It's a small thing, but once I spotted it, Ican't take my eyes off of it.  Minor detail, but sucks that I didn't catch it earlier.
      *  I am not super happy with the boots/gloves leather . I feel like Ishould have gone with a different leather color.  Not bad, just not great.
      *  The gold coloring on the moons was added after.  I originally had them as a silver color, but it didn't look as good on the skin in silver.  So I swapped the circlet to gold . In doing that Ichanged them all and am not as happy with the gold.  May change back.

This was a really fun one to do.  It's a bit smaller than the other minis because of the older style, but what a trip down memory road to paint it.  

Any thoughts?  Any feedback.  Let me have it!

• By Kangaroorex
      I am not good at telling stories on paper.  my mind races far ahead of where the story wants to go and I never get it right so I will let the diorama tell itself.  this is an original copy of the Clutch of Fear produced by Ral Partha in the early 1990s.  The piece is high lead content.  so soft infact that without some strategic pinning the joints fail (or so I have been told). 

The basic story is that 2 egg thieves come to relieve a mother dragon of one of her eggs and she comes back early catching them just as they are leaving.  The setting on the box seems to be some type of sulfur spring or volcanic hot spring and I get the impression of stillness of morning broken only by the shriek of an enraged mother.

I went pretty classic on this one, going with the red dragon and robin blue eggs like the box art but decided that the spines and chest plates should be more contrast than the slightly darker red of the box.  I took the original base pieces included in the box and expanded them to a small diorama of a hotspring using Magic water, a transparent epoxy to create the water around the spring.  The resin developed a little bit of a lip at the edge but I wasn't willing to cut it down and risk the clarity of the water by trying to sand and polish the resin. (its more rubbery that solid and difficult to polish -- I tried on two sample pieces and it didn't work out well.)

anyway the WIP is here if your interested:  https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/94482-a-new-year-a-new-old-dragon/

and here are the images of the final project.  Hope everyone has as much fun looking as I did creating this.  Feel free to comment and question away as always.  The project was a lot of fun and the they got the expression of the egg thief who is looking back to see an enraged mother dragon bearing down on him just about right!

One shot from the human's perspective to give an idea of the trouble they are in....

And one from a mothers perspective as she hones in on the ones who are trying to steal her precious eggs!

• By 72moonglum
      Tere Reaperlased! 
      So here's another miniature from the days gone by, a Julie Guthrie Female Giant, originally in her All Things Dark and Dangerous line.  This is apparently version two of the miniature.  The first one I painted maybe a year or so ago, a more primitive looking hill giant lady, who has always been one of my favorite figures Julie has sculpted along with her female centaur

Julie Guthrie Hill Giant

Julie Guthrie Centaurs

Anyhoos, here she is:

and then afterwards a comparison photo so you can see her against one of her contemporaries, a female mage:

once again, color choice was so hard and I have no idea where the inspiration for purple hair came from. I think it was due to the fact that she wasn't a earth-tone hill giant, but a little more civilized. And we all know most civilized women have purple hair. 

Anyhows, hope you enjoy!

• Who's Online   7 Members, 0 Anonymous, 42 Guests (See full list)