Sign in to follow this  
PaganMegan

Norse/Northlands Campaign, No Grumps!

Starting to work on my next campaign, and I am thinking a Norse or Northlands type setting.

One big change is the Trickster or Loki type god is Chaotic Neutral, not Evil. Except when he is drunk, I am stealing that from Grump's much talked about but never run super duper heroes game. The trickster's problems are mostly self inflicted during an alcoholic haze. More importantly, he has the power to BREAK prophecies.

The head god is Neutral bordering on Evil. Mad men, murderers, prophets, berserkers, and poets.

The thunderer is the closest to a Good deity in the Main Pantheon.

I have two Northland campaigns from Frog God and Kobold. But I think I will create my own and just borrow from both.

Giants, hill, fire, stone and frost, as well as Mountain Giants, ala Skyrim.

Dragons rare, powerful, and NAMED.

EVERYTHING gets named, from dragons to battering rams to plus 1 swords. Saga style!

Most PCs will know at least two generations of their families.

Witches and sorcerers are more common than wizards, and most wizards work with runes.

Bards and skalds are the lorekeepers.

And I will be using the kingdom building rules, framed as the PCs being somebody's ancestors, back in the time before the kingdom was born, and the wilderlands covered the world.

Players raiding and being raided by the other young kingdoms.

What I DON'T have yet is an underlying plot, something that is going on independent of the PCs.

Maybe the idea that the coming of Men, and Dwarves, and Elves is changing the rules of the world, fewer giants and dragons being born, magic being tamed, and the fay slowly dying away?

So the old world is fighting back?

And which sides will the gods be on.

Any ideas for me?

I am aiming for either mid September or late December, this is going to be a PRESENT!

Just posting about it is already helping! ::D:

Grump's Beyond the Borderlands is a HUGE inspiration, including the way he was making it up a piece at a time. ^_^

That game was the Number One reason I wanted to run my own game, he made it seem fun!

The only part of the world the PCs will know about is the coast, everything else they will see a hex at a time. :winkthumbs:

Further north is colder and more dangerous, and a huge blank area named Here Be Dragons.

Edited by PaganMegan
  • Like 3

Second empire! LOTS of ruins! Maybe even some random hex exploration tables.

PCs don't know it, but they are on a whole different world than they started on. They CAN'T go back!

Their gods are weak here, but they are BINGING their gods with them.

Thank you Neil Gaiman!

And THAT is why the world is changing. :devil:

And the first few times the newcomers were killed or driven out, this place is only legend to the PCs. Some few survivors somehow making it back to their old lands.

Messaging Grump to hit the store on his way home. Brainstorming needs BEER!

Floating vignettes. Important encounter areas that have no fixed location until they are found.

Both Mossbeard and the Tree of Despair will be like that, adjusting their CR for when they are found, always TWO levels above the party's level.

Mossbeard is going to be a petrified treant, and not friendly, at least to start with.

The Tree of Despair will just be bad no matter what.

• Like 3

Draugr, lots of draugr in all the ruins. Also Death Knights as higher level forms. In my homebrew they are the melee equivalent of a lich. Also, maybe the Dwarves are not happy with pesky PCs wanting to loot the ruins of their ancient cities.

One of the mega dungeons in my home brew is an abandoned dwarven city that is full of demons. They summoned and enslaved a greater demon (Balor in my campaign) as a way to power the city, and he eventually suckered a caster into opening a gate and then Demons happened. The wards are powerful enough that the demons can't leave the city, but the city it is absolutely overrun with nasties.

I always loved the idea of low magic worlds. Mine is low magic, and even weak magic items are also named. Lots of named dragons. 

I hope you keep us updated as you work on this. Cheers. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, PaganMegan said:

Second empire! LOTS of ruins! Maybe even some random hex exploration tables.

PCs don't know it, but they are on a whole different world than they started on. They CAN'T go back!

Their gods are weak here, but they are BINGING their gods with them.

You could actually borrow from history here. When in foreign lands the Vikings had a belief that "our gods are at home. They're stronger there. The local gods here are stronger here because this is their land and our gods are far away." This was the excuse many used to change faith when in foreign lands. Then again many of the vikings who converted to Christianity did so because they got to keep the free shirt they'd wear while being baptised. One particular viking got baptised fourteen times (all in different places). He'd turn up, claim he'd seen the light or express interest in the new faith, get baptised and go somewhere else.

Another thing you could borrow from history is viking carol singers. The practice of carol singing was actually originated by the vikings. They would learn the Christian songs and turn up outside Christian homes in winter singing carols. When the doors were opened they'd barge in and raid the place.

What you're describing here sounds a lot like a world where Ragnarok has already happened but nobody knows it yet. As for Loki being "neutral rather than evil".... he only became evil when the Christian authors got hold of him and began trying to make him an allegory for the devil. Originally he was a far more neutral/ambivalent character. Loki was the god of fire. The other gods played with him and they got burned. When they treated him well he worked well for them. When they mistreated him he burned their fingers (and, in the case of Fenrir, literally the dog biting the hand that fed him).

• Like 3

Some NO! for the setting.

NO guns!

NO alchemists!

NO plate armor!

I am stealing the map hexes from our really old Mighty Empires box, I could NOT remember the name of the game!

I may dig around to see if there is a PDF version anywhere.

• Like 4

It will make the hex crawling sooo much easier! 

Until Kingmaker and Grump's Beyond the Borderlands I hadn't realized how much I missed hex crawling.

And adding kingdom building in Kingmaker? Effing brill! It was like the very best of the first games I ever played, but we got to KEEP it!

So, I am planning on a campaign about vikings pillaging, looting, conquering, and maybe slave taking, and Grump's character submission?

A Cossack paladin.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, PaganMegan said:

A Cossack paladin.

He does know that the Cossacks were famous for being  a bunch of undisciplined drunken troublemakers when not on duty, right? That hardly sits well with the concept of a devout religious pacifist/reluctant warrior who avoids the pleasures of the flesh such as wine and women.

• Like 1

I am sure he does.

But ever read about the original twelve paladins?

I hadn't even known where paladins came from until that.

• Like 1

I dunno why Grump thinks so, but I found this line on a Wikipedia entry and it was enough to sell me.  His folkloric studies resulted in The Book of Were-Wolves (1865), one of the most frequently cited studies of lycanthropy ::D: