Sign in to follow this  
PaganMegan

Norse/Northlands Campaign, No Grumps!

Wow, now I know where Pratchett got the idea for Thud!.

Tempted to make a Hnefatafl board, and have one of the more ancient and powerful and scary draugr REALLY want to play.

13 hours ago, Balgin Stondraeg said:

Whereas my initial response was almost "a cog? Why not throw in a caravel as well?"

If I were going that far afield, I would settle for nothing less than a galleon! <= Purple.

They have landed, and are heading upriver to the keep.

And have been attacked by the raiders - who are what remain of the people they were TRYING to get in contact with. Because of idiocy by some of the raiders one of the boats is on fire right now.

The raiders were supposed to be TRYING to steal the ship, not set it on fire.

And they are down one ship.

Slogged through mud and mire, to reach the Keep on Day 1 of the time line.

That night goblins attacked the watchtower, failing to take it from the bandits.

Would reskinning Drow as Ice Elves work?

Though dark elves, complete with skin blacker than soot, are pretty damned Norse. Except I am not finding much about spiders in any of the stories.

One of the treasures in Shadowed Keep is a map to some dwarf ruins, which I can use.

They spent a entire game sneaking around the outside of the keep, trying to have a guesstimate for numbers.

They KNOW that until they can hold the place there will be no place for the retainers and settlers to live. And now that they have lost one of their ships they do not want to risk the other.

They have not checked the other river, since they do not want to leave the raiders behind them.

It looks like their plan may be to scale the tower by night, and fight their way down, not up.

And I finally got a chance to look up Grump's god Svarog. God of Light, Celestial Fire, and Blacksmiths, Forger of Weapons.

And FATHER of the sun!

A LOT nicer than Weyland. Higher on the totem pole than Hephaestus. A good paladin type god.

If there was ever a god to conflict with the drow, this is IT!

Also, he sounds made up, a lot like the Kalevala. Only showing up in a Russian text from the 1400s, claiming he was from Egypt. I am happier using fictionalized gods in a game, so this is good.

I also understand Grump's doodles on his character's shield now. Svarog's symbol is the Swastika, the Sun Cross. Grump rounded it off, to make it a lot less Nazi, a wheel rather than a cross.

Hitler ruined a perfectly good holy symbol. <_<

• Like 2

On 2/8/2020 at 10:34 PM, PaganMegan said:

COMPLETELY unrelated to Vikings, but I want to write it down before I forget.

I have an idea for Blacktooth Terror and a lizard man.

And how the party might react when they see a lizard man running straight at them, and what they might do when he yells, in lizard speak, RUN!!!!!!!!

If they don't attack him then he runs right past them.

Because Blacktooth is right behind him, and gaining. ::P:

I blame this:

TamerEnhancer-a-641x1024.jpg

You're right the book is pretty good.

The RQ books on the other hand are not so good, and don't have a lot about the culture.

Grump has CoC Dark Ages and some stuff for it, I don't know about Iceland. If so, it is in storage.

Grump looked at that picture, and said she looks like a Sleestak with an alt color pallete and fingers but no tail.

Now I can't unsee that.

Land of the Looost!

~~~~

Grump's paladin put a point into Performance [Sing].

Because of course he did!

Grump and singing paladins seems to be a theme. I think he watched cowboy shows when he was a kid.

On 3/30/2020 at 11:33 AM, PaganMegan said:

Would reskinning Drow as Ice Elves work?

Though dark elves, complete with skin blacker than soot, are pretty damned Norse. Except I am not finding much about spiders in any of the stories.

One of the treasures in Shadowed Keep is a map to some dwarf ruins, which I can use.

Or I can have TWO flavors of drow, one with cold instead of darkness.

Still the same group, not even a separate faction.

What would be a good substitute for the spider theme, among the cold bloods?

Lynx, maybe?

I feel Auld. ::(:

I mentioned Land of the Lost to someone not much younger than me.

She thought I was talking about the movie, and had never seen the show. ::(:

I need to borrow a VCR so I can torment BD, before it is too late!

Tanz mit Laibach is now my official "Working On Dwerger" music. ::):

Decided that their ruler is a hag, a short, stout hag. Now I need a reason. <_<

Some transform into dragons, over time. And this is not a good thing, becoming increasingly selfish, murderous, and paranoid.

I call it Going Fafnir.

Some transform into hags, similar, but remaining part of the clan sometimes.

And cannibalistic, eating children.

• Like 3

I would have sworn there were were-foxes for Pathfinder, but all I could find was fox-weres in Tome of Horrors.

And they are evil.

So, making my own, Chaotic Neutral were-foxes, because kitsune REALLY don't fit.

Selfish, amoral, but not EVIL! I want her to be the nuisance that keeps on giving! ::D: 

Useful enough they don't kill her, annoying enough that they kind of want to. ::P:

And one of the first things she will do is try to seduce Grump's character (married).

Then Jon's character (also married).

Finally she will try Duncan's character (single and a bard, well skald - same diff).

Have both Reaper minis for her, human and were-fox. I'd linky, but bewbs! :lol:

I think she will be a prisoner in the Keep. And will be hiding her foxiness.

The PCs won't trust her, and they will be right, but for the wrong reasons. She really DOES need rescuing, and she will LIKE the PCs, and want to hang around them for protection.

And will want to MARRY one of them, since family is safer. Maybe not just the male PCs, either.

• Like 4

Her entire motivation is personal safety.

She has had bad things happen to her.

So she wants to marry someone strong.

• Like 2