Sign in to follow this  
PaganMegan

Norse/Northlands Campaign, No Grumps!

Picked a dungeon map for one of the first sites for the party to explore.

Problem, only the first part of the map is out now, it is going to be a bit more than four months before the whole dungeon is out.

Six levels deep, but only 100' X 100' for each level.

The whole thing is slipshod goblin workmanship.

At least one menace is going to be bridges, stairs, and walkways built for goblins, not humans. Humans are HEAVY!

Needs to be early, fly changes things a lot.

• Like 1

Soft start date in late September, early October.

Grump's birthday present. ::):

Flowchart for Northhall portion, the events leading to exile, is done.

It affects what resources they start with.

If they can sway opinion enough then they will start with more, and plant seeds for returning and overthrowing King Olaf.

Now, lunch, then sending kids through the moathhouse. Grump suggested having the ghouls take down Elmo, paralyzing him in the 1st round. Adding a ghoul to make up for Elmo being there at all.

They missed the secret door.

• Like 1

Added another background, commonplace monster.

Undead scarecrow things that are semicorpreal, based on the Mantic scarecrow and specter minis.

Low level, mindless, but with an aura that makes every place they infest a little bit worse.

When corporeal they look like zombie scarecrow things, when incorporeal they are kind of misty things.

http://www.manticgames.com/ImageCache/Products/8496.1.368.368.FFFFFF.0.jpeg

http://www.manticgames.com/ImageCache/Products/8639.1.368.368.FFFFFF.0.jpeg

Easy enough to kill when corporeal.

These were the peasants that came along with the original raiders that eventually became the orcs. The curse had a spiritual effect as well as slowly changing the offspring.

Hel will be their goddess.

They aren't given a choice.

New moon or full moon for manifesting as the scarecrow things.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Balgin Stondraeg said:

So basically gengangers then.

I was going with attergangar, but yes. ::):

The combat part is the LEAST of it.

And some of it is sad, cows going dry because the undead are milking them, crops dying because they are trying to tend the fields.

There is a 3e spell called Milch Curse, a low level spell causing bad things.

• Like 1

If you were in a Kingmaker style Hex Crawl and Kingdom Building campaign, how would players react to a ruined town with tended fields of stunted crops, but no sign of the farmers?

Until the attergangars are set to rest the farms will only produce half as much as normal farms, even with living farmers. With just the undead farmers then the fields produce one quarter.

Milk will be curdled, wool snarled and brittle, eggs inedible. And everybody spending a lunar month, new moon to new moon, will suffer -2 CON. Not getting worse over time, but a constant -2.

If the scarecrow forms are killed then they will come back with the next new moon.

The scarecrow forms only happen during the dark of the moon, and they will attack if they notice living people, otherwise they tend their fields, and milk their listless cows. The dark and two nights following, never in the daylight.

I am thinking either silver or iron weapons for permanent kills. Otherwise they come back. No damage resistance, just coming back with the new moon.

When not incorporeal the bones can be staked with iron to secure them to the earth. Next new moon they will scream and writhe, but not rise, and can be killed easily.

Proper burial will only work if their names are spoken during the funeral rites. (Finding the names will be a quest.)

Burning only destroys the scarecrow forms, leaving the specter forms to wander.

They cannot cross either iron or salt used to ward a house from them, in either form. People in those houses do not suffer the -2 CON penalty. Horseshoes or a line of iron nails being the tradition. Lines of salt on the window sill.

Running water also blocks them.

Garlic does nothing.

• Like 1

Dwarves are going to be in the mountains, between the fire giants and the frost giants.

When the curse hit they holed up and closed the doors.

While there is fighting between the dwarves and the giants it is all "I want that", not "ancient enemy". They all trade with each other too.

The curse is affecting dwarves differently, resulting in frost dwarves and fire dwarves, not twisted evil things.

The fire dwarves and the frost dwarves stay away from each other, not because they hate each other, but because neither likes the other's habitat.

Most fire giants are Lawful, but some follow the Trickster. Mostly because the idea of a fire giant trickster makes me smile. Illusions are not something people expect from giants. And some manage to be both Lawful AND follow the Trickster.

More dwarves will come along with the PCs, and others with the failed attempt at colonizing.

• Like 1

For the first time I am being distracted by working on a second campagin at the same time.

No real reason, the other game has a YEAR before it needs to be ready. And is only going to be a total of six sessions.

But I discovered that it really IS fun running a game for kids.

I wonder....

• Like 1

We have a lot of Bones Bugbears.

They have found a home, UNDER one of the possible town sites.

Sneaky and murdery.

Grr.

I can't find the article on attergangers I was reading, about the origin of vsmpire myths.

• Like 1

My evil dark elves changed on me.

Borrowing Grump's goody goody spider goddess from his wood driders, but she has ALSO been corrupted by the curse.

Her high priests and priestesses become driders, it is a reward, not a punishment.

03085_G.jpg

The high priestess that created the curse is now a Huge Dread Wight or Dread Mummy drider.

The Trickster corrupted her without her even noticing, coming under the disguise of one of her goddess's handmaidens. Drider, not Yochlol.

The Loki stand in isn't always EVIL but he is ALWAYS Chaotic. He is about trickery, deceit,  mischief, conflict, and, above all, CHANGE.

And the Trickster in all the pantheons, human, dwarf, giant, and elf. And always, always from somewhere else.

Edited by PaganMegan

Duergar should be fun. Never used them before.

And they will HATE the elves that created the curse.

And the dwarves that do not suffer from the curse.

And the orcs that are getting in the way of what the duergar want to do.

And, most of all, themselves, for not being strong enough to resist the curse.

Yeah, they hate pretty much EVERYBODY!

Oh, and some of the worst affected go full on Fafnir. Treasure wights common as well.

404px-Sigurd_kills_Fafnir_by_Rackham.jpg

• Like 2

I had a surreal moment last night, working on the game and decided that being able to gain dwarf allies would be good, and put in the dwarves wanting to reclaim a dwarf church in the PCs' area.

About half an hour in Grump called out, asking if I could use a map of a dwarf monastery, because he had just gotten notice of a free map of just that. :blink:

He knew I was working on dwarfs because I had dwarfy music playing.

But how did the MAP COMPANY KNOW?! ::o:

And it is PERFECT!

The PCs will need to deal with dwarven undead. The party can KILL them, or they can LITERALLY deal with them. They can be negotiated with!

And what they want most is exactly what the dwarfs want. The dwarfs want to resanctify and reclaim the monastery, and the undead want the monastery resanctified and reclaimed! ::D:

They are PROTECTING the monastery!

The kicker is what they are protecting the monastery FROM.

A duergar gone full Fafnir - in this case a fiendish cold drake. ::): 

If they kill the undead dwarfs then the winged wyrm will lay claim to the ruins.

If they negotiate with the undead then they will have allies when the dragon comes to stay.

I am using a mini older than I am for the monster.

A Ral Partha cold drake made of LEAD!

01-072a.jpg

• Like 5

Interestingly duegar is derived from dvergr and, in Northolk, they still tell folk stories about the Duergar (and they definitely pronounce the E as separate from the U so it becomes less like Joorgar and more like Do-Air-gar (but with less of an emphasis on the Do)) and they claim that the Duergar came over with the vikings and never really left.

• Like 1

Grump pronounces that e as well, doo-ERR-gar. I pronounce it DWERE-gar, I think. DWERE all one syllable.

Grump just sent me to the Midgard Bestiary. and their Thursir - CR 5 giants, like scaled down Lawful hill giants.

Pretty sure that Thursir is just Norse for giant, I know that Grump calls frost giants Hrime Thursir, though I could be totally misspelling that.

Lots of nice creatures in that. I know I have seen some in Grump's games.

• Like 1