Sign in to follow this  
PaganMegan

Norse/Northlands Campaign, No Grumps!

Never seen it spelled, just mangling Grumpish mumblings. ::P: Frime may be closer than my (mis)spelling.

Thrymm. I will remember that.

Though Google does list hrimthurs as the frost giants in general. So I could be murdering that as well. All one word. Rime Thurs? Rime being frost I do know.

Fate kind of sucks in Norse myth, doesn't it?

Grettr is outlawed and cursed for his crimes, but was ALWAYS doomed to commit crimes for which he would be outlawed and cursed, he had no real say in it. Predestination is pretty horrible.

I may work that into the backstory for Shadowed Keep, that the Jarl that had the Keep founded was always doomed to have things go wrong, that the fates had already woven the fall of the colony and the rise of the orcs.

The orcs started there, and spread.

And that orcs are called orcs because they came from the sea, in the ships that carried them to these new lands. Sure, now they live in caves, hidden away from the sun, but they came from the sea, once upon a time.

Architecture closer to Norman than Norse, stone Keep and curtain wall. William the Conquerer and King Cnute. A bit further along that Eric and Snorri. Though I am looking at Newfoundland as the basic idea. Or a much larger Iceland, with volcanoes AND glaciers.

Giants of all flavors, but starting at war with the stone giants, because that old colony tried to raid them, and stone has a long memory.

To them there is no difference between men and orcs, because they saw men become the orcs.

Not sure yet on the mechanism for winning peace. Just that there has to be one.

I will call the first half The Cursed Lands, I think.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, PaganMegan said:

Fate kind of sucks in Norse myth, doesn't it?

Actually it's a little bit more complicated than that. The Viking and Anglo Saxon concept of Fate was rather different to the one we hold today. When we think of Fate we think of it as a final result or destination. For the Anglo Saxons & Vikings they considered Fate to not be the final end result. Rather they considered the moment in which an action is taken that leads to that important result the fateful moment (the Wyrd, if you will). So for them it's less about the result of that life changing moment and more about the moment when you have to make that all important life changing decision (whereas our more modern definition of fate would be all about the consequences of that moment).

Another interesting feature in the sagas is that if anyone makes a serious threat and vows to do someone harm the story will be arranged in such a way that all vows and oaths are carried out. If one man say "I'm going to cut out your heart" and his enemy says "I'm going to chop off your head" then, after being impaled through the heart, the mortally wounded man will still have enough determination or momentum to carry out his threat of beheading the man who slew him. Threats bare never mutually exclusive because the norns will arrange for all words to be kept. This is obviously harder to do with a roleplaying game that features random dice rolls but if the player characters come across grim evidence of the aftermath of such an event you can arrange things in such a way to maintain any foreshadowing.

In this regard the pc's could be some kind of characters that are not affected by fate having some ability to defy reality by making unusual decisions in those fateful moments (and that is their wryd, to do the unexpected and to break with tradition from time to time). Having more spiritual or knowledgeable people notice this and maybe remark on this could become interesting (especially if the players want to then investigate this curious phenomenon).

• Like 1

So, speaking the fate causes the fate to become inevitable?

But until it is spoken, it is not yet carved in stone?

I like this better.

The Curse that causes the orcs also comes back to bite the elves that created the curse, that kind of fits, they created a curse that strikes EVERYBODY, except maybe the giants. They could have fled and resettled, up to that point.

The curse binds them as surely as it binds the orcs, while the elves embrace the curse, things aren't going well for them either - like the orcs they hide away from the sun, and their children grow with twisted and bitter spirits, while the orcs grow with twisted and deformed bodies.

In their case they were tricked by the god I am calling Lauffy. The elves consider him a dwarf, the dwarfs consider him an orc, the orcs consider him human, and the giants consider him an elf. Always he belongs to someone else's people, and is never seen as himself.

He is about change, mischief, and misfortune, and his troubles are all ones he has called down upon himself.

I was reading Sabine Baring-Gould's translation of Grettr the Outlaw. Horrible things happening to a horrible person that deserved what was happening, but it was the way it was all inevitable that made it really bad. Everything around him turning to crap, and him not doing much to turn it around.

Once he was cursed, he just kind of accepts it, becomes an outlaw, and in no way tries to improve either himself or his lot.

And then he dies. The End.

He reminded me of Crooks in Of Mice and Men, a book I wish I had never read. Nobody never goes to heaven, and nobody never gets no land.

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/48622

But I don't know if you call that one of the sagas or not.

The Greenland Saga was about someone turning their fate around, with Erik being exiled for manslaughter to the most gods forsaken place imaginable, but holding things together enough for it not to be a complete disaster.

I am actually thinking about putting Grettr in the game, and even have a mini chosen for him, one of the Dreadmere mercenaries, holding an axe.

44016_w_1.jpg

He's one of the people following our heroes into exile, and everything around him will turn to crap.

He will murder someone in the settlement, then flee to become a recurring bandit, preying on the people he followed, blaming them for what has gone wrong in his life.

I may have him go draugr with his death.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, PaganMegan said:

So, speaking the fate causes the fate to become inevitable?

Essentially, yes. But it also cannot be mutually exclusive. It's almost as if the characters subconsciously refuse to contradict another's claims, rather they accept them and say "yes but also....". It's as if once the words are spoken the deed is almost considered to be already done (or inevitable as force has now been set in motion).

This only seems to apply to sworn oaths and vows. There are a few incidents of shallow threats made in haste, words spoken  in anger which do fail to materialise as is the case of the Flosi who is given the insulting gift of a pair of blue trousers by Skarphedinn in Njal's Saga who flies into a rage at the insult and makes a number of threats which is is immediately prevented from carrying out by the men who insulted him. This is probably reinforcing the fact that they were calling him weak and calling his manhood into question.

Ironically Flosi does eventually get his revenge on many of his foes (about 20-25 chapters later. Look, Njal's saga is big even by Saga standards. I think it's nearly 160 chapters all told).

He reminded me of Crooks in Of Mice and Men, a book I wish I had never read.

You had to read it? I had to study it for my exams. It was required reading.

Edited by Balgin Stondraeg
  • Like 1

I had to read Of Mice and Men fifteen years ago, AND IT'S STILL IN MY HEAD!

Which says a lot about how powerful the book was, I hated, hated, hated the unending pessemism of the thing, but it is still occupying brain space.

In part because several Bugs Bunny cartoons suddenly made a lot more sense.

But I refuse to see the movie, and the better I hear it is the harder I dig in my heels, I do NOT want it taking hold of more head space! :grr:

• Like 3

I actually had a stroke of genius earlier. When the characters swear an oath, brag or boast that they will perform a particular action, this stems from an oral storytelling tradition. So it might be less that such oaths will always come true. With our written storytelling tradition we'll bring these points up later and say "ah you see. He did what we said he would." But with an oral storytelling tradition such foreshadowing would be a good aid memoire. A method of helping the storyteller remember the story. BY heralding an event it helps them to remember that that event will occur in the upcoming portion of the story that has not yet been told.

I read Of Mice and Men for my GCSE's 26 years ago. It certainly leaves  a mark. The film actually came out the year I was studying it (because they often make films of books which are required reading for exams that year). I'm not going to advize you to watch it. That's your decision to make. But I will say that, as films go, it was a very faithful adaptation of the novel.

In other news I'm deciding what size base to use for the Conquest Mountain Jotnar. When I get him on the tabletop he's sure to turn a few heads. Now that miniature really is a giant! I think he deserves a special name and maybe a frozen crushed dead cow on the edge of his base or something equally sinister for a sense of scale.

IMG_3896.JPG.3c8598467e2734c73690f1a8a7ec254f.JPG

IMG_3897.JPG.8f8a967e1d7e0e484fb610a6da97c876.JPG

• Like 4

Looks Gargantuan, to me. ::):

Ral Partha made a very nice giant that looked a bit like that, let me rummage for a few.

The movie being close to the book is what I'm afraid of.

I'm sure Grump has seen it - he watches The Seventh Seal, and laughs at the funny parts.<_<

Grump recommended a Danish(?) animated show titled Valhalla, any experience with it?

It looks very eighties. :huh:

Found him!

e_giant_p_f.jpg

Ours also has a cleric healing a squished barbarian. ::):

I like the piggies hanging from his belt.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PaganMegan said:

Grump recommended a Danish(?) animated show titled Valhalla, any experience with it?

None whatsoever.

if you want to really have an unusual take on things then maybe try watching The Almighty Johnsons. It's a comedy series from New Zealand in which the Norse gods have reincarnated as humans and are now having to deal with all their own problems (Odin is a drug dealer, Bragi keeps trying to seduce all the women, Loki is a lawyer who keeps rubbing people's noses in it, Thor gets drunk and rants about giants (the giants and dwarfs have also reincarnated as humans to hide from the various monster hunters that roamed the world), the goddesses are ganging up on the gods to try and thwart their schemes,  Frigg is hiding from Odin because, if they become reunited then the gods shall regain all their power). It manages to remain low key comedy. There's even some nice scenes where the local Maori gods (in human form) want to meet with the Norse gods to discuss issues of power and respect and who has authority where. I think there was an amusing sub plot in a later season featuring a group of Catholic God Hunters (sent by the Catholic church to kill all the old pagan gods) and the gods having to pretend to be mortal.

It's not the kind of comedy that has people dropping one liners or canned laughter. It's more like a serious sci fi series that's actually quite funny in the way it handles things.

• Like 2

Like Becoming Human, a bit?

Valhalla is on Youtube, both English and Danish, and Danish with subtitles.

I am going to go with the subtitles. The voices for the dubbed version are not great.

I actually knew the story already, Valhalla is sticking to the mythology pretty well. Thor killing the goats that draw his chariot to feed them all, and planning to bring them back the next morning.

And that is where I left off.

Thor is a bit of a jerk, but boastfully kind, Loki is interesting, a manipulator, self aggrendizing, but not evil. And his self aggrendizement is part self mockery.

Thor is pretty much a jock, while Loki would be in the drama club. ::):

One of the things that stood out in Grettir the Outlaw, being an outlaw was the punishment, not the crime.

He was forced to live outside of society, and live on only what he could accomplish by himself.

And he had a bad case of Two More Weeks *Croak!* Nineteen years and change into his twenty year exile, he dies.

Draugr are jerks, and the idea of a dying curse with real teeth sounds fun.

On 1/26/2020 at 10:45 AM, TheAuldGrump said:

For the record - Jotunblood is in Green Ronin's Advanced Bestiary.

Some of my very favorite templates are in that book, and I think there is a 5e version as well.

*EDIT* I also recommend Open Design's Larger Than Life. In particular the Thursir - lesser, Lawful Evil giants, good for mid-level encounters. Pretty much Lawful, intelligent Hill Giants. Often taking orcs for slaves.

The Auld Grump

Thursir are also in the Midgard Bestiary. I have to recommend that book, it has some tasty treats. ::):

Looking for appropriate miniatures, but not having a lot of luck, outside of the ONE figure from Effing Cool.

They are WEAKER than Hill Giants, but more dangerous, because they work together.

=================================================================

Okay, I have an idea, Grump has some old Ral Partha ogres that do not look most current ogres.

I think I found my Thursir!

02-783.jpg02-782.jpg

02-784.jpg02-780.jpg

Looks like Ral Partha Europe is my best choice, Iron Wind only has like half of them.

RPE has this guy, who I want to give a Horn of Blasting.

Rp-02-150bb.jpg

Lost Minis Wiki.

Edited by PaganMegan
  • Like 4

One of the ruined dwarf strongholds just sprouted a stone golem. ::):

77b349_572e862d1a854b59ba6dadc3ac230d19~

That's the picture from MOM Miniatura.

When I saw the mini in the box that came in today, I knew I wanted to put moss on it.

Surprise, surprise! They felt the same way.

It is going to be a QUIET guardian, and will not activate unless and until a particular something happens.

It is in a possible settlement site, and will work best if the PCs can forge an alliance with some of the unfallen dwarves.

There are both surface and underground areas to settle.

One it is cleared.

I know the map I want, and the two Bones dwarf thrones from Reaper will fit right in, one surface with a dwarf draugr, and one below.

One of the NICER draugr, he's a guardian too, and will happily leave when someone else takes his place as guardian. Lawful Neutral, not Evil, bound to an oath he swore on his magic weapon.

His replacement will have to swear the same oath, and will be just as bound. Axiomatic Ghost Touch battle ax. Maybe more things, since it will be set to one above the level of the party when they recover it.

• Like 1

Mom Miniatures are disgustingly cheap. I've got that stone golem and it's gorgeous :). There's a bit of an alignment issue mid weapon haft so that may be a prime moss location to cover the awkward join.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Balgin Stondraeg said:

Mom Miniatures are disgustingly cheap. I've got that stone golem and it's gorgeous :). There's a bit of an alignment issue mid weapon haft so that may be a prime moss location to cover the awkward join.

Thinking maybe some snow, too.

But that would make him outdoor only.

Some gaps, minor, baking soda and super glue should do the job.

Bubbles underneath, again super glue and baking soda.

I think I may add a template to him, not sure what yet.

It looks like this may be from a second generation mold, a new mold made from one of the figures cast from the first generation mold. There is a second set of mold lines.

Still, happy with him.

I don't remember any golem like monsters in Norse myth or legend.

So, naming him Andvari and calling it good.

It almost looks like it is wearing a Helm of Brilliance, so, if it is modeled after a great dwarf hero, having a Helm of Brilliance as part of the treasure would make sense.

Maybe make the gems in his helm one use magic items.

Edited by PaganMegan