Sign in to follow this  
PaganMegan

Norse/Northlands Campaign, No Grumps!

On 2/1/2020 at 6:01 AM, PaganMegan said:

Playing with Hero Forge.

Who could this be?

I gave him a spear, first, but a staff looked better.

He obviously disguised Gungnir.

Glad you remembered he has footwear (as per the lay in which he mocks Thor for walking barefoot. That's actually a pretty grave insult in itself as only thralls were denied footwear and any freed man or woman would make to wear shoes to signal their status).

The mini started as a dwarf, then I realied how much he resembled Odin, and redid him.

WORN boots, because he is a traveler, and not above begging shelter on a cold night. Ditto for warm clothes.

Did the Norse take patron deities, like the Greeks and Romans, or did they worship each in their tasks, closer to the Celts?

Grump's paladin has a patron deity, the god of smiths, but his character isn't really a Norde. He's from a place like the Russian plains, a horseman and a smith, not a farmer and sea raider.

He wants a feat for improvising forges, because the Rus of the time did that, I told him build a damned forge, he has better uses for feats.

His character is married and has two daughters, his wife will be staying behind and managing the family holding.

One of his daughters is going to kill a prince, starting the tale.

He didn't choose to be a paladin, his god is choosing him, but he will need to agree.

19 hours ago, PaganMegan said:

Did the Norse take patron deities, like the Greeks and Romans

Not really although there are a few rare occurrences of priests worshipping one deity almost exclusively (usually drunkards).

• Like 1

I thought that was the case. ::):

With a "god shelf" of little statues or icons of the gods.

In the PCs' kingdom this story will be about the rise of a new kingdom born in adversity and wilderness.

In the homeland this story will become known as  The Doom of King Olaf Sons-Cursed.

Cursed by a dwarf king he cheated, and whose son he had murdered to:

Have sons that bring sorrow, never joy, weakness, never strength, blood, never harvest, and upon his kingdom shall bring strife, and never peace.

He had four sons.

The eldest murdered the second born, and was exiled.

The third  was killed when he attempted to rape one of Grump's daughters.

Grump's character and his daughters will be exiled - though the jarls agree that Willum deserved killing.

Grump's wife will hold the farm, and not join him in exile.

The fourth son will be an obviously poor choice as king, and will divide the country rather than unite it, called the Witch-Born Prince, child of King Olaf's second wife. (She may or may not be a witch, but she is widely viewd as such, and roundly disliked.)

As the PCs' kingdom grows larger and stronger, forging alliances, the homeland will become more divided, with alliances being broken.

Thinking about putting in a way of using poems to increase fame. Both Grump and Jon can reel off Teutonic meter by the yard. ::P:

More and more I am leaning toward my own mythology instead of actual Norse.

And is it just me, or are smiths in Norse myths tricksters more often than not? Volund was a pissy bastard. Andvaryi? The Niebelung?

They needed smiths, but did not love them.

So you'd have the godspeaker who would maintain a small wooden shrine, the god's hut, in which statues of the gods lived. He would go in and speak to them then come out to speak to the people.

In the sagas there are a few cases of a man being nicknamed Freya's priest" or "Frey's priest". In either case they never seem to do very much and often tend to be useless drunkards. The other members of the Aesir and the Vanir do not seem to have inspired such single deity devotion.

If you're looking more at early Russian mythology then you have the little house gods who dwell in the home, (gods of hearth, stove etc). Their power is very local rather similar to the way that Greek mythology has naiads, dryads, hammardyads etc in virtually every stream, tree and so on.

Grump just pulled a Vikings supplement for AD&D 2e out of storage and a tattered Vikings supplement for Rune Quest as well.

The cover of the RQ book is paper.

Not cardboard or even card stock, PAPER. It is the most shoddily made RPG book I have ever seen.

Avalon Hill.

Edited by PaganMegan
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, PaganMegan said:

Grump just pulled a Vikings supplement for AD&D 2e out of storage and a tattered Vikings supplement for Rune Quest as well.

The 2nd edition Viking book is actually a really good sourcebook. It's definitely the best of the 2nd edition historical sourcebooks (then again the only other ones were for the Crusades and maybe the Song of Roland French stuff so it didn't have a lot of competition). There's also a really good Mythic Iceland book for Call of Cthulu, dark ages.

There was also A Mighty Fortress covering the 100 Years War.

Grump is really fond of it.

And Greeks, and I think Celts.

Yep, Celts, and Romans.

Seven books total.

COMPLETELY unrelated to Vikings, but I want to write it down before I forget.

I have an idea for Blacktooth Terror and a lizard man.

And how the party might react when they see a lizard man running straight at them, and what they might do when he yells, in lizard speak, RUN!!!!!!!!

If they don't attack him then he runs right past them.

Because Blacktooth is right behind him, and gaining. ::P:

I blame this:

TamerEnhancer-a-641x1024.jpg

On 2/7/2020 at 3:07 AM, Balgin Stondraeg said:

The 2nd edition Viking book is actually a really good sourcebook. It's definitely the best of the 2nd edition historical sourcebooks (then again the only other ones were for the Crusades and maybe the Song of Roland French stuff so it didn't have a lot of competition). There's also a really good Mythic Iceland book for Call of Cthulhu, dark ages.

You're right the book is pretty good.

The RQ books on the other hand are not so good, and don't have a lot about the culture.

Grump has CoC Dark Ages and some stuff for it, I don't know about Iceland. If so, it is in storage.

Edited by PaganMegan
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, PaganMegan said:

COMPLETELY unrelated to Vikings, but I want to write it down before I forget.

I have an idea for Blacktooth Terror and a lizard man.

And how the party might react when they see a lizard man running straight at them, and what they might do when he yells, in lizard speak, RUN!!!!!!!!

If they don't attack him then he runs right past them.

Because Blacktooth is right behind him, and gaining. ::P:

I blame this:

TamerEnhancer-a-641x1024.jpg

You're right the book is pretty good.

The RQ books on the other hand are not so good, and don't have a lot about the culture.

Grump has CoC Dark Ages and some stuff for it, I don't know about Iceland. If so, it is in storage.

Is the female running character a robot or living being?

11 hours ago, Corsair said:

Is the female running character a robot or living being?

I was thinking lizard person.

But a cartoonist that likes drawing bewbs!

And she is DEFINITELY wearing a halter top and shorts that match her skin pattern.

Which means her species is well established in that setting, since clothing manufacturers actually market to them.

I think I like that.

• Like 2

Okay, about as close to ready to begin as I think I'm going to be.

As soon as Grump wraps Ghosts of Saltmarsh, we can begin.

One last minute change, that the Thursir are using the orcs.

With a point where if the PCs win, the orcs turn on the Thursir, turning a two way mess into a three way mess.

Duergar also have orc slaves, but they are slaves, not allies.

The duergar are evil, and will be antagonists, but more for the dwarf settlements than the PCs. They are not expansionist. But they hate dwarfs. And elves. And humans. And always take slaves when they raid.

They burn the places they raid.

Drow, antagonistic, but not expansionist. Again, orc slaves. And human slaves. And dwarf slaves. Elves, they kill. Raiders and slave takers, they do not kill off the settlements they raid, because they will be raiding them again, but they also have ritualistic torture and sacrifice.

Wood elves, a few places left, expansionistic, paranoid, but not evil and can be won over. Grump's wood driders are among their number. As likely to pull up stakes and abandon their settlements as defend them, unless there is a sacred grove. Which also means treants helping them defend.

High elves. Dead. All of them. Ruins, tombs, and abandoned cities. Humans, orcs, Thursir, and drow wiped them out. And elves do not want to live in those haunted ruins. High elves being high elves, they would rather leave the ruins abandoned than rebuild. Melancholia and depression as an entire people. High will not be convinced to move in if the ruins are cleared, but may trade on the mainland for certain treasures.

Thursir and orcs ARE expansionists, first working together, then against each other as well as the PCs.

Ending the curse changes things, orcs giving birth to half-orc children, not orc children. Orcs being orcs, they kill a lot of the half-orc children.

But orcs have short lives, in forty or fifty years, the last pure orc dies.

The half-orcs are here to stay, stained by the sins of their ancestors, but not bound to the curse.

Ogres are Thursir affected by the curse. Ettins are hill giants affected by the curse. Hill giants are kind of neutralish, not good, not evil, but natural bullies. Beaten twice, they learn their lesson, and only steal cattle and sheep. But they also steal cattle and sheep from each other, so it's a fair deal. ::P:

One or two hill giant settlements can be dealt with right from the start. Turns out that a prosperous hill giant clan does a whole lot less raiding. They have better things to do.

Stone giants are a bit of a mystery.

• Like 1