Sign in to follow this  
PaganMegan

Norse/Northlands Campaign, No Grumps!

There's a lovely old folk tale from Norfolk (that's Norfolk in England, not North Fork in America).

A man was out walking late one night. He got lost and eventually found himself in front of an old cottage. The door was open and there was  afire in the hearth so he went inside, made himself comfortable, and waited.

After a while the door was pushed open a little wider and a short man with a nasty face wearing a sheep's fleece as a jacket came in and sat down beside the fire and didn't say a word. After some time the mean faced man leaned forwards and reached for a log to put on the fire. All without taking his eyes off the visitor. Well, the traveller felt obliged to put a log on the fire and so it went on throughout the night, each taking his turn when the time came, each in silence, never saying a word to the other. It was almost as if it was a competition, each daring the other to put the next log on the fire.

In the end there was only one log left and it was our travelling man's turn. Now this log was a little further away and, in order to reach it, he would have to move from his seat and take a single step. As he was about to rise he felt a strong feeling that he should not do so. After much deliberation he left the log lying there and drifted off to sleep, the nasty little man looking at him all the while.

When he woke up there was no hut. There was no fireplace. There was no fire. There was no mean faced little man in sheep skin. But what there was, just a short distance away from where he'd slept, was a cliff. A perilous drop that would have been the death of him. More importantly, from his position, he was able to tell that the cliff was in the same direction as that last illusionary log and, if he had taken a step to reach it, it would have been the end of him.

It was then that he knew the nasty faced little man was a duergar. Now that's a viking word because, when the vikings came over, after they went again, they left a good many things behind and the duergar are one of them.

Well our traveller felt himself very luck and went on his way.

Hope that helps set the tone for your Duergar in some way. The cruelty, the trickery, the laying of traps.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, PaganMegan said:

From Grice's Folktales from The North Country?

It sounds like a book I should find.

From a 10-15 minute program on folklore and stories from Norfolk on Radio 4 a few months ago actually.

Gee, there is NO WAY I would be able to use a map like this, is there?

2020preview_swamp.jpg

I don't honestly have a plan for what to do with the map yet.

BUT in a hex crawl campaign, finding something that that should be pure gold. ::):

One hundred fifty feet, from top of skull to the hips.

He was a BIG boy.

• Like 1

I think I will make him one of the anchors for the curse.

One of the very last great giants, and the elves sacrificed him.

Edited by PaganMegan

6 hours ago, Balgin Stondraeg said:

A few hours after your post the map went on Valentine's Day sale (because there's a big heart in it).

They sent us a 75% off coupon.

How could I say no?

When the elves killed him for their sacrifice, he was a guest, the betrayal is part of what tied the elves to the curse.

Returning his heart to his family severs the anchor.

• Like 1

His "family" in this case is regular frost giants, decendants more tham immediate family - his age was measured in millenia when the elves murdered him.

Grump made my life easier and harder, and handed me the Legendary Games Forest Kingdom anthology, vastly increasing kingdom building options.

With lots of things for fey, which I don't need.

Testing some static cling printer sheets for the campaign map.

Lots of woods, so far, since Mighty Empires doesn't show forest.

Castle emblems, ruin emblems, landmark emblems.

But I think I like permanent stickers more, since the Mighty Empire hexes are PDFs, I can put those on sticker paper too, and build a poster map as they explore.