72moonglum

Ral Partha Seated Holy Man, by Dennis Mize

I agree to Warlady and Glitterwolf concerning this blue eyes. Was actually my thought too when I have seen it. Yep the sculpts are looking very tiny aaargh. Good job especially at this size. God knows that I know what this means (I also painted such tiny sculpts and this is really far beyond easy). Great!!!

22 minutes ago, vhaidra said:

I agree to Warlady and Glitterwolf concerning this blue eyes. Was actually my thought too when I have seen it. Yep the sculpts are looking very tiny aaargh. Good job especially at this size. God knows that I know what this means (I also painted such tiny sculpts and this is really far beyond easy). Great!!!

Thank you Vhaidra!  I wasn't smart enough to have planned the blue eyes ahead of time.  I actually started out with the eyes being white to add a dot, but I couldn't get a good dot in there, so I went in and made them all intense brown (a Reaper color) but they didn't look quite right, so I went back over ten and did the ultramarine blue.

• Like 1

Have you ever tried a toothpick sharpened with a hobby knife for applying the white and the iris at eyes? This is the only way how you have got at least a chance to paint eyes at so small miniatures at bigger sculpts of course it works even better.

If you use slightly diluted paints (of course not too much diluted should immediately cover, but not being thick) you can make insanely little dots with this method and so you even can build up in a very controlled way an iris with putting this very, very tiny dots next to each other.

I mean for example putting the toothpick until 4 times there where the iris shall be this way you can even adjust the iris perfectly in the middle or somewhere else if wished. Left and right beside the iris one or two dots of white are mostly enough for giving the impression of eyes. I had this idea after I recognized that a needle is to small, paint is drying immediately at a needle. A normal toothpick is too large, but on the plus side it absorbs paints similar to a brush because it is wood and the paint stays wet until you touch the eyes.

Solution: Sharpen the toothpick with a good hobby knife until it`s tip is similar (not exactly should be bigger) small like a needle, but still stiff, then it works.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, vhaidra said:

Have you ever tried a toothpick sharpened with a hobby knife for applying the white and the iris at eyes? This is the only way how you have got at least a chance to paint eyes at so small miniatures at bigger sculpts of course it works even better.

If you use slightly diluted paints (of course not too much diluted should immediately cover, but not being thick) you can make insanely little dots with this method and so you even can build up in a very controlled way an iris with putting this very, very tiny dots next to each other.

I mean for example putting the toothpick until 4 times there where the iris shall be this way you can even adjust the iris perfectly in the middle or somewhere else if wished. Left and right beside the iris one or two dots of white are mostly enough for giving the impression of eyes. I had this idea after I recognized that a needle is to small, paint is drying immediately at a needle. A normal toothpick is too large, but on the plus side it absorbs paints similar to a brush because it is wood and the paint stays wet until you touch the eyes.

Solution: Sharpen the toothpick with a good hobby knife until it`s tip is similar (not exactly should be bigger) small like a needle, but still stiff, then it works.

Hi Vhaidra,

no, I haven't tried that yet, but with your comments above I'm wondering if you couldn't just use a needle itself instead of a sharpened toothpick. I wouldn't need it for white part of of the eyes but for really small pupils like this one it certainly might help!

19 hours ago, 72moonglum said:

Hi Vhaidra,

no, I haven't tried that yet, but with your comments above I'm wondering if you couldn't just use a needle itself instead of a sharpened toothpick. I wouldn't need it for white part of of the eyes but for really small pupils like this one it certainly might help!

I have tried it already several times. It just doesn`t work with a needle. It is either simply too thin so that the paint dries too quickly or the problem is that it can`t suck up the paint similar to a brush or the toothpick. After trying it at least 5 times with different consistencies of paint I just gave it up with the needle and tried the toothpick and this worked well. I also tried painting eyes with a brush of course and it seems I`m too stupid for it haha. All the time I`ve tried painting eyes with a brush I just messed it up and never got the result I wanted and so the toothpick method is now my preferred method of painting eyes since many years. It is just that this worked best for me. But I see you are one of those who can paint fanatstic eyes with a brush (at least I assume you do). You are a lucky one. I gave it up to try it.

• Like 2

I've tried using a needle too, but it just doesn't work.

Ive never tried a sharpened toothpick; I'll have to keep that in mind!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, vhaidra said:

I have tried it already several times. It just doesn`t work with a needle. It is either simply too thin so that the paint dries too quickly or the problem is that it can`t suck up the paint similar to a brush or the toothpick. After trying it at least 5 times with different consistencies of paint I just gave it up with the needle and tried the toothpick and this worked well. I also tried painting eyes with a brush of course and it seems I`m too stupid for it haha. All the time I`ve tried painting eyes with a brush I just messed it up and never got the result I wanted and so the toothpick method is now my preferred method of painting eyes since many years. It is just that this worked best for me. But I see you are one of those who can paint fanatstic eyes with a brush (at least I assume you do). You are a lucky one. I gave it up to try it.

Yeah, usually I can get the eyes done with a nice pointy brush. As of yet this is only the second set of eyes that I couldn’t get, the other one being a Tom Meier Thunderbolt Mountain elf lady. I’ll try the toothpick the next time I run into this problem, thanks for the tip!

• Like 1

@72moonglum Sorry for interrupting our conversation, but my real life offered me a couple of happenings which are desperately needed my full attention. You said something about a pointy brush. Does this means a brush with very short bristles? What size of brush do you use normally for the eyes? Sorry for asking that much, but this is my chance for answers haha. So I use it of course :-)))

5 minutes ago, vhaidra said:

@72moonglum Sorry for interrupting our conversation, but my real life offered me a couple of happenings which are desperately needed my full attention. You said something about a pointy brush. Does this means a brush with very short bristles? What size of brush do you use normally for the eyes? Sorry for asking that much, but this is my chance for answers haha. So I use it of course :-)))

Hi Vhaidra! 

Not to worry, real life is always more important that “life” on the internet! 

I’m actually using right now some Rosemary and Co. series 33 brushes so they aren’t very short bristles and have a very nice point, a fine tip on it. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, vhaidra said:

Thanks for this tip. I looked them up already. I will give them a try by chance. ::D:

They are pretty okay brushes, plus they aren’t as expensive as other brands. 

• Thanks 1