Sign in to follow this  
72moonglum

Ral Partha Sorceress with Wand by Dennis Mize

58 minutes ago, 72moonglum said:

So hard to choose colors! I eventually give up and just slap down a color that doesn’t overly offend my eyes!

Until now I liked all your colour selections, so all fine with it ::D:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vhaidra said:

Until now I liked all your colour selections, so all fine with it ::D:

Hopefully you’ll let me know if ever see some colors that displease you!

• Like 1

On 7/4/2019 at 2:56 AM, 72moonglum said:

Hopefully you’ll let me know if ever see some colors that displease you!

I`m sure this will not happen, but "if", yes then I will tell you.

In doubt just use neutral colours too (you often do this already).

For example: Select 2 or 3 colours which are either similar/analog (purple, blue, pink) or complementary (red and green, yellow and purple, blue and orange according the colour theory of Itten or in this case here it is the complementary pair according the colour theory of Harald Küppers which is actually magenta/pink and green) and then simply combine it with neutral colours as beige, brown, black, white, grey....this always works fine if you wish to be on the completely save side.

You can also combine this 3 colours magenta, purple and green. This looks great. Magenta and green is complementary (according Küppers) and purple suits also well to green and of course it suits well to magenta too because it is similar to magenta. In doubt: Less is more.

The broccoli happens only if someone wishes too much. The more different colours you use the higher the risk of unpleasant colourschemes. In general of course it also works to use many different colours if they are all part of an existing colourscheme according a certain colour theory (the one by Itten or the one by Küppers) but for knowing this you have to study all possible colourschemes first. If you have not studied colour schemes and colour theory intensive then the best thing is: Less is more.

But what also works is using all colours LOL. No joke. I know a painter (Schiraga) who often uses all existing colours at one miniature and this looks just great. But this is hard to do so that it actually look harmonious.

The easy and the save way is:

Similar (analog) or complementary plus neutral colours. Or 2 complementary and a third which is similar to one of the complementary plus neutral colours if the miniature has got much details. This always works ::D:

So in this case here you could have used a neutral colour for the glove (brown or grey) and the gem at the staff would look great in purple for example. The red of the gloves and the gem is not part of an existing colourscheme with magenta and green. In fact you used two complementary pairs of two different colour theories.

Magenta/green = Complementary pair according Küppers

Red/green = Complementary pair according Itten.

Normally this would be called a "fault" or at least very unusual, but in fact it doesn`t look bad in this case here, because you have selected a dark and muted red for the glove (looks rather like redbrown) and so I find this colourscheme still pleasing. So don`t worry. Seems you have got a natural feeling for colour combinations. Trust your gut, I guess this will work pretty well.

If you wish to have the absolutely control, you have to study all possible colourschemes, which first sucks, but if you have learnt them, then you know exactly what to combine and then you can even combine 4 colours in a harmonious way with each other without the need to consider much about it.

But the most simple way is to use a colour scheme generator at the internet. I have written a lot about it and how to use it at this thread here:

https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/86750-the-satyrs-waterfall/&tab=comments#comment-1840475

• Like 2

That color wheel you show is a pretty neat little device.  I keep wondering are there people that have no sense of colors that match?  As of yet, no matter what I end up choosing, nobody has told me about clashing colors, so I’ve either avoided doing it or people just won’t tell me.  What are some colors you should not use together for fear of that “stab me in the eyeball” pain?  I almost want to try to paint something that is offensive to the color wheel on purpose, but every time I grab colors they seem to work out okay.

• Like 2

On 7/6/2019 at 4:00 PM, 72moonglum said:

That color wheel you show is a pretty neat little device.

Yep, originally this was used mainly for webdesign, for to find a cool colourscheme for websites. But it is also used by painters and people who create fashion for example. Simply everybody who deals with colours and design find it very useful.

I keep wondering are there people that have no sense of colors that match?

Well.....I actually have seen colour schemes which had been...ahm very special haha. I think it is not a mistake to deal a bit with this matter. I guess for tabletop level this effort is not absolutely neccessary, but everybody who wishes to win a painting contest or wishes to produce absolutely highendlevel paintjobs and wish to get high ratings for them should know exactly what he/she is doing and of course such ones need to deal with colour schemes, because this is judged too by any jury.

Even movies are designed according colour schemes. Photography, artworks, simply every art which deals with images and colours keep to the rules of colour theory and it is the knowledge about all this which is creating the art. So there is a kind of compulsion to deal with it when someone wishes to produce art on a very professionally level.

As of yet, no matter what I end up choosing, nobody has told me about clashing colors, so I’ve either avoided doing it or people just won’t tell me.  What are some colors you should not use together for fear of that “stab me in the eyeball” pain?  

It is rather that I don`t consider what doesn`t work together, but more what works well together. There are a couple of combinations I don`t like that much, but it depends all on the acutal tones. I mean for example I don`t like much the combination red and turquoise, but according colour theory this is a completely legal complementary contrast. It is the colour theory according Küppers, there red and turquoise are a complementary pair.

If I see blank/plain red and turquoise together I don`t feel well haha. BUT if the red is higlighted with Orange things for me changing completely, because this looks awesome. So one can change the impression completely by adding colours as the highlights or shadows for making things fitting much better to each other. The turquoise for example can be highlighted with yellow and this will change the whole impression again.

Another example is Blue and Green. I don`t like this combination much either, but I like it when the green is a bit blueish, or the blue is bit greenish then I think it looks awesome too. Same with Red combined with purple. If the red is a blueish red also this looks good. It depends on the actual tone and on what colours else are used for shading and highlighting.

An example from my own desk: I´m painting Selmarina The Witch (by Reaper) in the main colours orange and green. This simply not exists in colour theory so one could call this a "mistake", because it is neither a complementary contrast nor analog, but in fact I love this combination (orange/green) although this is surely a question of taste.

I made it more harmonious by shading the green with blue and by shading the orange with red and the result now is a so called rectangle or tetradic colour scheme where 2 complementary pairs are used, red/green is a complementary contrast as well as blue/orange. So the shades I added made the tetradic colourscheme complete and voila I have a valid colour scheme and no one can complain LOL.

For to finaly answer your question: There are no colours which are absolutely not working together. It depends all on the actual tone and on what else is used for shading and highlighting in addition.

I almost want to try to paint something that is offensive to the color wheel on purpose, but every time I grab colors they seem to work out okay.

As said, until now I didn`t discover any colour scheme "crimes" by you haha. Especially this thing with the actual tone is done very well by you and that is what I meant with: You have got a natural feel for colours. Be happy ::D: