Sign in to follow this  
ecs05norway

18036 Reaper Pro Paint "Bloodstone"

I have an old pot of "Bloodstone" from the long-discontinued Reaper Pro Paints line. It's a lovely color, a greenish sort of turquoise. And still in remarkably good shape, surprisingly, I still use it now and again.

Anyone know if a matching color is available anywhere else, in case I need to replace this?

I replaced mine with Coat D'Arms Hawk Turqouise, which is a touch darker straight from the bottle but otherwise reasonably similar.  It was close enough for my needs, not sure how close you would find it.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Yep.

Went down and checked around where I'd found it, found a few more.

Emerald Green, Lemon Yellow, Flesh Tone, and Wood Tone inks, and a Sample bottle that looks like it might've been meant to be olive drab at some point. 

• Like 1

Had that olive sample, too. Mine finally kicked it a year or two ago.  It was an awesome base color for grassy ground.  And walnut brown. The MSP version just isn't the same.  I have a few pots left that might be usable, but I think most have solidified or separated beyond saving. 

• Like 1

On 6/17/2019 at 4:01 PM, ecs05norway said:

The pot I have looks a little greener than that, TBH. That's the right number and name, though.

Because outside of some special use cases monitors aren't color calibrated, what you see color-wise can vary significantly simply based on the equipment you are viewing it with. Right now, all of us are looking at somewhat different shades of green.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Madog Barfog said:

Because outside of some special use cases monitors aren't color calibrated, what you see color-wise can vary significantly simply based on the equipment you are viewing it with. Right now, all of us are looking at somewhat different shades of green.

And it's not just monitors. The light under which you look at a swatch (or the bottle) can give you a very different appearance. The paint in the pot can be different looking when it's dried. And the color of substrate when painted on can have a huge effect on the appearance. Oh, and different scanners or camera brands can give you very different results on specific colors*, even when everything else is the same.

The only consistent way to compare colors on computer is by using the same lighting, substrate, camera, and monitor. And that's not going to match what you see anyway.

This is what we call a "hard problem".

* There's one specific shade of yellow-green that I have to hand calibrate every time it shows up, even when every other item in the photo shoot is perfect and nothing has been changed. It's the exact color of one of our products. <_<

• Like 4