Goroloth (Aboleth)

magtagj

Hello, 

I have been charged with painting an evil ancient alien fish monster for our D&D group. I want it to be really special. Painted in pale blotchy blues and purples. But what I really want is a slime. Canonically the creature is covered in a layer of slimy mucous. I want a color not unlike Dungeon Slime but I want it translucent and glossy. Is there a way to make a thick, wet-looking film over the outside of the creature without totally invalidating the colors underneath?

How do do I achieve this? Maybe a dungeon slime wash heavy over dynamic areas then a gloss finish?

• Like 2

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You could tint some Woodland Scenics Water Effects with the desired color, then brush it on. I think it would look like slime. I also think it's going to look very different than your typical painted miniature, and that such an effect might not be really attractive.

But at least it's something to consider if you really, really want a slime effect.

Edited by Madog Barfog
Clarity
  • Like 2

I like two part epoxy resin when a smooth, glass-like coat is desired. However, I've had problems at least once in mixing the correct amounts of resin and hardener together, and the result is a never-hardening goop that pretty much ruins the mini I was working on. One also has to watch for bubbles, although I've always managed to avoid them by being very careful.

Thats why I recommended a single part water effects medium. It isn't smooth, but I get the feeling a slimy mucus layer doesn't need to be smooth. It is a lot easier to work with.

I think your best chance of making this work would be to paint the model normally with some sharp highlights. Hit it with a coat of gloss. Then hit strategic parts (ends of tentacles, the mouth, etc.) with some sort of fake goo. The single-part water effects would work nicely. Alternately, if you can get your hands on some Uhu glue, that can also work. I strongly recommend playing around with the goo on something else before actually using it on the mini, so you have an idea of how it would react.

The goal is to have most of the mini just be glossy and wet-looking, so your paint job isn't lost, with enough bits of goo to sell the idea.

On 6/22/2019 at 9:29 PM, JackMann said:

I strongly recommend playing around with the goo on something else before actually using it on the mini, so you have an idea of how it would react.

Probably the most important idea in the thread. Test out techniques on spare minis or plastic spoons or whatever else you're comfortable scrapping until you find one you like. 

• Like 2