Sign in to follow this  
Sylverthorne

Impudent Mortal Presents: Mech Cockpit Simulator (Battletech)

13 minutes ago, Weird-O said:

Wow, they're not even trying to hide the copyright violations...

It's not clear to me that there are any copyright violations.

I haven't seen a Battletech box in a while, but IIRC, the record sheets used to be free for copying. When added to the fact that game rules aren't covered by copyright, it might be wise to avoid accusations of tortious conduct.

• Like 1

There are two Battletech boxes in print right now, and there's a big difference between photocopying sheets for your own(or your group's) use, and printing those sheets on whatever material he uses to sell them to folks. I'm looking at the record sheet for the Locust right now, and it says 

"© The Topps Company, Inc. BattleTech, 'Mech and BattleMech are trademarks of The Topps Company, Inc. All rights reserved. Catalyst Game Labs and the Catalyst Game Labs logo are trademarks of In Media Res, LLC. Permission to photocopy for personal use."

I'll admit that it might not necessarily be copyright violation. But if it's not, it's certainly IP theft, or something similar by another name.

Edited by Weird-O

47 minutes ago, Weird-O said:

There are two Battletech boxes in print right now, and there's a big difference between photocopying sheets for your own(or your group's) use, and printing those sheets on whatever material he uses to sell them to folks. I'm looking at the record sheet for the Locust right now, and it says 

"© The Topps Company, Inc. BattleTech, 'Mech and BattleMech are trademarks of The Topps Company, Inc. All rights reserved. Catalyst Game Labs and the Catalyst Game Labs logo are trademarks of In Media Res, LLC. Permission to photocopy for personal use."

I'll admit that it might not necessarily be copyright violation. But if it's not, it's certainly IP theft, or something similar by another name.

Only if there is some element to the record sheet that is sufficiently creative to activate the copyright law that is not necessary for play and the project creator doesn't have an agreement to use that element. From the information I have, that does not rise to an obvious violation of IP. Perhaps you have other information from a closer reading of the project information or other, non-public sources.

The situation here is very fact specific, which is to say that litigating it would be expensive for all sides and the results would depend on erratic decisions.

It's also not clear to me that this project would harm anyone in any way, so there wouldn't be much point to complaining about it on the part of the Battletech IP owner. And it might well help to sell more copies of Battletech.

The more interesting question is whether this violates the Trademarks of the game. This is a much closer question to my eyes, but ultimately I think the usage is nominative rather than a violation of the mark.

NB: Not a lawyer and this is definitely not legal advice. Talk to a lawyer who is licensed to practice in your area and who specializes in IP law if you want something to act on.

I can't imagine how they could have the exact same mech name, model number, and correct stats without it being infringing.

20 minutes ago, Weird-O said:

I can't imagine how they could have the exact same mech name, model number, and correct stats without it being infringing.

The same way an aftermarket lightbulb manufacturer can advertise replacement bulbs for the highbeams in a 2014 Toyota Camry LE. It's a nominative use and required rather than optional.

Not a slam dunk argument, because that kind of use is, as I noted above, subject to judgement calls on the part of a judge or jury.

• Like 1

I'm still skeptical, but I'll stop filling up this thread with it so people who like this can get on with the business of liking it.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Weird-O
      I don't play them that often these days, but the Northwind Highlanders mercenary regiments will always build a dear place in my heart, as their sourcebook was one of the very first Battletech products I ever bought. I'm especially happy with how the Locust turned out.

• By SamuraiJack
      https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/saltforgeminiatures/salt-forge-miniature-sulphureas?ref=discovery_category_newest

Come into the chaos....
      This is The Great Daemon Sulphureas, the first ever model made by Salt Forge Miniatures. No one truly knows where the Devourer came from... Stories ranging beyond what the writers of history know and into the legends of the first people tell tale of a beast who was once man... a beast whose very presence turns the sky red, and men's sanity into that of wild beasts. Battlefields, towns and even cities have been turned into gory mulch by the by the ever gnashing maw of the fiend, and those who have witnessed such destruction tell tales of of utter madness, of all brothers turning upon each other in pandemonium and destruction. 

What is being offered in this project?
      Hello and welcome to my Kickstarter!  I've been working on Sulphureas for a while now, and I'm happy to finally be bring him into the world. The Kickstarter is simple- I'm releasing one model, with a limited run of only 300.  Most of the work is complete- I have put in a lot of time, effort and money to get this project to where it is and the model has been sculpted and printed out and is ready to go, so now its up to you.  We just need the materials to get this little shop up and running, and to make the kits for you!
      This is just the beginning- I plan to release many more models and your support will make all the difference.  We've got a lot more minis coming down the pipeline.

**Important note: Shipping**  Shipping is NOT included in your pledge, and will be charged after the campaign is over.  {shipping rates will vary depending on where you live}

The focus of Salt Forge Miniatures is to produce high detail, high quality miniatures that can work as game pieces for the tabletop or a centerpiece for your collection. The future is bright for Salt Forge and we want to make a variety of models that reach into all different aesthetics and genres. And that is what you are helping to bring to life.  I’ve been building models and playing tabletop games for most of my life, specifically 40K, Warhammer fantasy/AOS and a variety of smaller games, as well as board games and RPGs. It's always been my passion to make unique characters and models, and now I'm taking the next step and really pushing to make some truly awesome models. I’m making my models with hobbyists in mind. And I am very excited to see what you all do with these characters.
       Quality
      I've been in the manufacturing field for 10+ years and I'm very familiar with production, molding, and casting.  You can be assured that models from SFM will be high quality and made with individual care. The model will be cast in high quality resin, using pressure and vacuum methods to capture the greatest detail.  
       Details: The Daemon
      Standing just shy of 250mm (10in.) tall and comes with a 190mm (7.5in.) Base.  It is compatible with 28-32mm heroic scale models. It will come as an unpainted multi-part (52 of them in fact!) resin kit that will require assembly. **Resin model kits often require some special care in their assembly.  Information will be provided with the model, as well as an assembly guide.**
       The Daemon will be a perfect stand-out piece for tabletop gamers, hobbyists and collectors. 
      32mm heroic figure for scale.
    • By Jen
      https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/demigods/demigods?ref=nav_search&result=project&term=demigods
    • By perfectsix
      We have Just Launched this small kickstarter project,  our first resin only Miniature and what i consider to an excellent  sculpt of a troll 42mm high, lots more info and pics here https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1614906331/realm-realm-of-the-dragon-2?ref=amam9v

we really hope you all like him

perfect six miniatures 

• By Ludo
      Per Izzy,
      If you picked up either of the Art Books in the Bones III and IV kick-starters and would like to get them autographed, be sure to bring them with you to ReaperCon. Izzy will be signing them when time allows. 
  • Who's Online   30 Members, 2 Anonymous, 73 Guests (See full list)